Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-05-2021, 11:38 AM   #1
buck_wild
Ten Point

Default Anyone remember cold snap of 1983?

With the predicted cold weather next week for a couple days, it reminded me of the record cold snap in 1983. Seems I remember it didn't get above freezing for 6+ days for most of Texas. I was almost able to walk across my grandmother's frozen stock tank until the ice started cracking about a 1/3 of the way across. I was smart enough at the ripe age of 16 to turn around
buck_wild is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 11:46 AM   #2
bobc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell County, New Mexico

This is my brother standing out on the tank at our property. Pops had the ladder laying out there in case he fell through.

Name:  bill on ice on tank.jpg
Views: 1890
Size:  98.8 KB
bobc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 11:49 AM   #3
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

There was another time in the late 80s I think where it got below 0 here in North Texas. I remember thinking deer would HAVE to move to stay warm, so I was in a tree hunting. I was wrong! Nothing moved that weekend.

I wonder if 83 was when we had that huge ice storm. Whole town, Bonham, was without power for a long time, trees and limbs down everywhere. Sounded like gunfire all night with trees and limbs breaking.

Last edited by BrianL; 02-05-2021 at 11:51 AM.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 11:50 AM   #4
swamper
Four Point

I live in Luxemburg WI. Weather forcast for the next 6 days says it won't get to ten degrees. You get use to it just dress in a lot of layers. On Sunday there is a high of 3 and I have to bring my old tractor in to get fixed. About a ten mile ride. Not looking forward to that drive!
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 11:51 AM   #5
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
There was another time in the late 80s I think where it got below 0 here in North Texas. I remember thinking deer would HAVE to move to stay warm, so I was in a tree hunting. I was wrong! Nothing moved that weekend.
It was two winters in a row that it got very cold. Fools I worked for had us leveling locations in frozen ground and when it thawed out it went to crap.
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 11:54 AM   #6
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

That was probably the time I was in a blind for most of the morning and my jeans froze to me legs. That stun, when I stood up to get out of the blind, it felt like the skin on my upper legs was going to get ripped off. Then my ears, nose and cheeks were partially frozen. When they finally picked me up from the blind, I got in the truck, but had to get right back out. The temp difference inside that truck made my skin feel like it was on fire, it was stinging so badly. The truck was one of those old 82 Chevy's with one of those early Olds diesel engines. So it was not very warm in that truck, it was very cold outside.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 11:54 AM   #7
El Viejo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

The freeze of '83 took out a lot of citrus trees in the RGV.
El Viejo is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 11:55 AM   #8
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

Snowed here in Cleveland.
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 11:55 AM   #9
topwater blowup
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

1983 was very cold, remember breaking ice in the water canal to go duck hunting. Then again in 1989 Christmas week?

Last edited by topwater blowup; 02-05-2021 at 11:56 AM. Reason: adding information
topwater blowup is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 11:55 AM   #10
marshman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper & Orange County in TX, Carroll County in MS

I was a Sr in high school when we had the freeze of 83. My grandmother had a house on Adams Bayou in Orange. First and only time I’ve seen the bayou frozen over.
marshman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 11:56 AM   #11
Pin Oak DXT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wharton County

I was 9 years old. I still remember the fish kill in the bays along the middle coast. I like a good shot of cold air from time to time but I don't like it if it is prolonged like it was in 83'.
Pin Oak DXT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 12:00 PM   #12
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater blowup View Post
1983 was very cold, remember breaking ice in the water canal to go duck hunting. Then again in 1989 Christmas week?
Yes, that was the second one... Was 5 degrees Christmas Day, Christmas Eve I was gonna go duck hunting. I had a place up on Lake Livingston... I backed my boat down the boat ramp and the trailer just backed out onto the ice! I then realized it really was too cold to go hunting and went back inside and sat by the fire!

I wasn't that mad at 'em back then and I'm even less "mad" now!!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 12:00 PM   #13
Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin and Argentina, Zambia, Kyrgyzstan

I remember seeing fish sitting on top of the ice near Port 'O Conner in the 80s. I don't remember if it was 83 or later, just know I was young. We might have picked up dinner.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 12:02 PM   #14
buck_wild
Ten Point

Yeah I think there was another shorter, very cold period in '89. I remember some of my friends at college, Southwest Texas St back then, used bread trays to sled down the hills on campus as everything was frozen. We set out a yard sprinkler in a tree in the backyard and froze the whole thing :0
buck_wild is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 12:03 PM   #15
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I was living in an old pier and beam farm house just south of Arlington. Rent was free so I was responsible for repairs. During that cold snap all the pipes froze solid. When they started to thaw flooding was everywhere. You couldnt find an available plumber so I got a crash course in repair. I remember laying under the house in standing water with a mini mag flashlight in my mouth along with a just-purchased torch, hacksaw and fittings as well as a copy of "Introduction to Plumbing" I got from the hardware store. Fun times...
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 12:03 PM   #16
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

Both '83 and '89 were devastating on the trout n reds in the Galveston bay complex...
East Bay froze over for the first ever recorded... Dead fish everywhere!
Port O'Connor was bad too... Pringle Lake had thousands and thousands of fish floating that flushed through the small passes at each tide change for days and days...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 12:04 PM   #17
basschump
Ten Point

Hunt In: Around TX

Parts of Lake Travis had ice in the 80's. Same year the bay froze that ultimately brought about all the commercial fishing changes.
basschump is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 12:05 PM   #18
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

83 & 89 it never got above 15 for 10 days, I got home from work out of town and lots of my
Sheep had froze to death, and the river had frozen solid so no water! It was financially crippling for years

Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 02-05-2021 at 12:25 PM.
S-3 Ranch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 12:10 PM   #19
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX, North TX, & SE Oklahoma

I was pretty young for the one in '83 so I really don't remember it. I remember the one in '89 well.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 12:12 PM   #20
kennyelp
Eight Point

Hunt In: San Angelo

Yeah, I just moved to Dallas on November 1st of 83 and I was living in an apartment on the 3rd floor in Richardson and the pipes froze and we couldn't use water for 4 days. Then in 89 when living in Carrollton our washer line froze and it flooded my den and living room.
kennyelp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 12:21 PM   #21
CDF
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Whitney,Aquilla

Don’t remember the year but it was probably 1983. In Arlington the creek that flows out of Lake Arlington froze solid and after watching a Chevy blazer drive over it my friends and I drove home and got our hockey skates and sticks and played ice hockey on it. Not many people played hockey in Texas back then and we definitely drew some attention.
CDF is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 12:28 PM   #22
El Paisano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas

I do, and then it didn't rain un '84 until about August. Pretty well killed off the remaining quail around central Texas.
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 12:34 PM   #23
DUKFVR
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County & Anywhere A Duck Flies!

Remember 83 & 89 all too well. Remember the fish kills. Bays full of dead fish. Had to break ice to duck hunt. I hope this doesn't turn out anything close to it.
Hope the weatherman is wrong like normal!!
DUKFVR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 12:35 PM   #24
Raleigh
Ten Point

Very vividly.
During the freeze of 83 my dad and I hunted ducks on Christmas bay for a week straight. The ice build up on the south shoreline was so high that we did not hunt any blinds we just hunted behind the "icebergs that formed on the shoreline. We slammed the ducks.

I lived on the Mustang island for the freeze of 89. The causeway was closed for about 3 days so I hunted ducks on the Laguna and slammed the fish right off my back porch. Our house was situated in a turning basin where the water was 17ft deep. We caught mostly oversized reds and drum. The shallow Laguna Madre held dead fish for weeks. It was awful.
Raleigh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 12:38 PM   #25
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Spent 9 days at my lease at Possum Kingdom in '83. Highest temp we heard on the Breckinridge radio station was 10 degrees. Was using a tent back then.
Goldeneagle is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 12:40 PM   #26
Walker
Ten Point

Copano bay froze several hundred yards out. My toilet was frozen for 6 days.
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 12:43 PM   #27
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

It never got above freezing for about 35 days straight in Tulia, my hometown in the Panhandle. I was a junior in high school. Snowed a lot that winter. We didn't finish stripping cotton until March, due to the snow in the fields.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 12:48 PM   #28
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

I was 14 years old in a camp house in Uvalde, Tx; the breakfast gravy froze in the skillet when we took it off the fire. I got back in my bunk and stayed inside where it was a warmish. I remember it was 3 outside.
Hoggslayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 12:52 PM   #29
bullhead44
Ten Point

I remember riding 3 wheelers on our frozen stock tanks in 83. they were pretty shallow at the time I guess.
bullhead44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 12:54 PM   #30
bullets13
Ten Point

Hunt In: Marion Co, Jefferson Co

It was pretty warm where I was during that snap. I wasn't born for a couple more months.
bullets13 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 12:56 PM   #31
BRust
Eight Point

Hunt In: Around Lake Somerville & Brackettville

Yep I remember my grandpa, my dad and myself break ice on the ponds for the cattle. The first day I thought it was fun but after a few days of that it turned into WORK.
BRust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 12:58 PM   #32
Chief Big Toe
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sparkman,Arkansas

The first year we moved up to Dallas there was heck of a snow and Ice Storm, that was in 84, and again in 85, miss those cold days, my dumb arse, doing 55 on the gage but only going about 15 in my ol'64 galaxy
Chief Big Toe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 01:16 PM   #33
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Heck yeah I remember it, I was out in it!
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 01:19 PM   #34
trophyhunter01
Ten Point

Hunt In: Walker County on the river

89 I remember all around Houston running out of PVC pipe from fixing all the frozen busted pipes in Harris county.
trophyhunter01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 01:38 PM   #35
Tx_Wader
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

I remember 83 and 89 very well. My wife and I had gotten married in March of 83 and were living in the country. Water well froze up, put a heater in the well house and fixed that but the sump pump for the septic system kept freezing too.

I live very close to the coast so a bunch of us took our "river boats" aluminum boats with 25HP Johnsons on the back and went into the rivers and were loading our coolers with fresh frozen trout and reds. They were just packed in ice.

The Game Warden told us to take as many as we wanted to clean and so we did.

Both freezes were extremely bad for the gulf coast.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 01:45 PM   #36
Katch66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc View Post
This is my brother standing out on the tank at our property. Pops had the ladder laying out there in case he fell through.

Attachment 1039502
Yep, this was the one and only time that I ice fished. We walked out onto the pond, chopped a hole in the ice, and commenced to catching catfish through the ice. This was in Freestone County.
Katch66 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 02:18 PM   #37
marshman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper & Orange County in TX, Carroll County in MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_Wader View Post
I remember 83 and 89 very well. My wife and I had gotten married in March of 83 and were living in the country. Water well froze up, put a heater in the well house and fixed that but the sump pump for the septic system kept freezing too.

I live very close to the coast so a bunch of us took our "river boats" aluminum boats with 25HP Johnsons on the back and went into the rivers and were loading our coolers with fresh frozen trout and reds. They were just packed in ice.

The Game Warden told us to take as many as we wanted to clean and so we did.

Both freezes were extremely bad for the gulf coast.
In 83 people were picking up reds and specks in Sabine Lake and even off the beach. Ive heard that is illegal now to pick up fish like that. I think its kind of a. Shame though, I mean the fish are dead so why let them go to waste?
marshman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 02:18 PM   #38
SRK14
Eight Point

Hunt In: Cass, miller

I guess it would have been around 1983. My dad told me that him and his buddies rode three wheelers all over lake Wright patman. He took a machete and chipped away at the ice and it was like 9 inches deep.
SRK14 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 02:35 PM   #39
bigmike585
Ten Point

Wasnt alive in 83 but, back in the winter of 2011 or 2012 ish I was doing some landwork out in se new mexico. I rented a cabin at the KOA campground located between carlsbad and artesia. The cabins were pretty much brand new and had these little wall heater ac unit things that didnt seem to work to well in extreme temps. The KOA backed up to a WMA along the pecos river and i used to go kick around out there after work somedays. One morning, i woke up early, and it was freezing in the cabin, i stumbled and shivered over to the bathroom to take leak and when the **** hit the bowl it was a solid block of ice. Water on the toilet was frozen dang near solid. Needless to say, water was frozen so a hot shower was out of the question. I got dressed and fired up the pickup and the temp read -4 that day. As i was driving out i noticed dead doves laying around everywhere. There were a buncha eurasion ring necks used to roost in the trees at that place and they all just froze to death. Some still up in the trees. I went for a walk and the dead doves were everywhere along the river where they roost in the trees. One of the craziest things id ever seen. A week later, walking down there through the river bottom the critter cleaned all the doves up, only piles of feathers all over the place.

Last edited by bigmike585; 02-05-2021 at 02:38 PM.
bigmike585 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 02:39 PM   #40
dhays
Ten Point

Hunt In: Smith County

Quote:

I wonder if 83 was when we had that huge ice storm. Whole town, Bonham, was without power for a long time, trees and limbs down everywhere. Sounded like gunfire all night with trees and limbs breaking.
That was probably 79 Brian. That was a bad one. Power company trucks from every where were in Paris and surrounding areas working on downed lines. The 2 worse years I remember in Lamar and Red River county were 79 and 2000.
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 02:40 PM   #41
JFISHER
Pope & Young

Quote:

Think that was 89-90

I was in basic training at Ft Sill.... holleeeeeeee crap it was cold.
JFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 02:44 PM   #42
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

I was in Matagorda for both freezes. In 83 we were able to walk out on the bay on the south shoreline of East Matagorda Bay. The ice was very thick and went a good ways out. There were long piles of ice where the north wind buckled and stacked the ice sheet up all down the bay. The fish kill was immense. It wrecked us for several years.

In 89 I was in matagorda duck hunting. My decoys froze over and were completely covered in ice with icicles hanging off the bills and tails. It was so dang cold and the ducks wanted in there bad. I shot a pile of greenwings and headed out. The roads were all frozen over from sleet and I slipped and slided back to town. By the time I got home in Bay City our pipes have frozen and we had pipes bust all under the house. It was a huge nasty mess getting under there to fix them.

We don't need any of that.
Capt Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 02:45 PM   #43
BlessedVeteran0305
Eight Point

Hunt In: North Texas
Talking

Nope Cuz I wasnt born until 84
BlessedVeteran0305 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 02:49 PM   #44
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Oh man. Y'all had to mention the freeze of 83. I was hunting up in Fredericksburg at a buddy's ranch, and I killed a young deer. He was freezing up faster than I could gut him. His dad reminded me that I had to finish what I started. Man was it cold...

Anyone want to take a guess where I am going to be next weekend? Not Fredericksburg, but Stonewall, about 12 miles east or Fredericksburg. What are the odds?
TX_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 02:54 PM   #45
gfulton
Ten Point

Killed a bunch of live oak trees.
gfulton is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 03:02 PM   #46
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Yep, walked on a frozen pond at my grandmothers
And part of the Lampasas river in okalla
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 03:20 PM   #47
Rotag
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I almost froze. First time I had to break ice in the stock pond in central texas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rotag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 03:25 PM   #48
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell, Hill, Kimble, Navarro Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck_wild View Post
With the predicted cold weather next week for a couple days, it reminded me of the record cold snap in 1983. Seems I remember it didn't get above freezing for 6+ days for most of Texas. I was almost able to walk across my grandmother's frozen stock tank until the ice started cracking about a 1/3 of the way across. I was smart enough at the ripe age of 16 to turn around

I want to say we went 9 days below freezing in the Hubbard area. We went out every morning and every afternoon to several farms to chop ice so cattle could drink. Dang cold! Im too old for that crap now. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 03:26 PM   #49
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

Sure do! Grandpa and my dad drove down to Matagorda and drove along the south Shoreline and saw all the dead fish
RMW is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-05-2021, 03:29 PM   #50
junior
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bell,Williamson,San Saba Counties

I remember watching a herd of cows walk across the Colorado river in San Saba, it wasn't frozen solid but thick enough for them to get across. We wanted to try it but our dad wasnt having it.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top