Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-25-2020, 07:47 AM   #51
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 Bound View Post
This couldnít be farther from the truth about the deer down south.
Maybe easier to kill is a better?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2020, 08:01 AM   #52
laredoarcher
Ten Point

Hunt In: SouthTex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdub25 View Post
Guajilla and black brush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This.
laredoarcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2020, 08:34 AM   #53
Tx_Wader
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

Quote:
Everything that grows in South Texas is high in protein.
Yup.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2020, 08:46 AM   #54
bmac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Robertson Co. & TPWD

Shot 2 does in northwest Texas on TPW hunt. Both 2.5yrs old, but had a 25# spread on body weight and considerable size different. Different subspecies is my bit as they looked different but both WT.

bmac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2020, 08:57 AM   #55
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhandlehunter View Post
No way. Go look at Los Cazadores low fence. All over 200” Webb, LaSalle, Dimmit. I bet there wasn’t one low fence 200” deer taken anywhere in the hill country.
How much you want to bet? I know of a 200". Along with 187" and a 193". All three were in NW Hill Country and low fence. Its notnthe norm but it happens.
Take Dead Aim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2020, 10:56 AM   #56
Sika
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and East TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longue Carabine View Post
Bone structure is a product of nutrition over multiple generations. There was a great "common garden" experiment done in South Dakota that addressed this.

https://openprairie.sdstate.edu/etd/392/
Without reading all of that, I can see how nutrition plays in a role in survival of the fittest where the healthiest, largest deer survive to produce more large, healthy deer. Over several generations, you would have a population of bigger deer. Small, unhealthy deer are more likely to succumb to malnutrition or fall victim to predators.
However, genetic factors largely account for the body size. You could take a bunch of Llano county fawns and drop them in a high fence in Webb county. At full maturity they would still not rival native South Texas bucks. Even when maximum body weight and antler size are achieved, genetics are a limiting factor, not just antlers but skeletally as well.
Sika is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2020, 11:16 AM   #57
TalonErickson7
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montgomery County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sika View Post
Without reading all of that, I can see how nutrition plays in a role in survival of the fittest where the healthiest, largest deer survive to produce more large, healthy deer. Over several generations, you would have a population of bigger deer. Small, unhealthy deer are more likely to succumb to malnutrition or fall victim to predators.
However, genetic factors largely account for the body size. You could take a bunch of Llano county fawns and drop them in a high fence in Webb county. At full maturity they would still not rival native South Texas bucks. Even when maximum body weight and antler size are achieved, genetics are a limiting factor, not just antlers but skeletally as well.

Agreed, no different from Humans.

TalonErickson7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2020, 11:18 AM   #58
88 Bound
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Maybe easier to kill is a better?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I still strongly disagree. Maybe itís relative to individual experience. For me, the deer in South Texas are the smartest deer I have ever hunted. Especially when compared to the hill country. LF of course.
88 Bound is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2020, 11:29 AM   #59
Longue Carabine
Eight Point

Hunt In: Medina County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sika View Post
The key to understanding this is something called epigenetics. Epigenetics can manifest in a single lifetime or over several generations, and to varying degrees in between. I will summarize what happened in South Dakota because it answers EXACTLY the question posed by this thread, and your hypothetical example. Whitetail deer in the black hills were small in comparison to the whitetail deer in the southeast of the state. So much so that many suspected they were different subspecies. So they designed an experiment to find out. They created two enclosures in the same place, one for a population of black hills deer and one for a population of southeast whitetails from SD. They lived in identical conditions, were fed identical feed, had no predation, etc. Within one generation, the size difference continued, but during the second generation the black hills deer began to close the gap, and by the third generation they were about the same size. There are two hypotheses about why this happened. Both could be true or just one of them may be true. The first is maternal nutrition. This theory says that the future potential off the offspring in adulthood is determined by how healthy the mother has been her entire life and the positive effects that imparts on the fetus. Each generation of lifelong excellent health contributes to added benefit (up to a plateau). The other theory is epigenetics, which are changes that your genes can exert on you IN RESPONSE to external stimuli. This can happen in many ways and diffent ways depending on species, but in this case it's all about size and cost vs benefit. If a deer lives in the black hills where nutrition is less abundant than the SE of the state, then it is disadvantageous to be big because big bodies are more expensive in terms of food. So being unable to keep a larger body well fed would lead to a less successful, fatigued, disease prone individual. So their genes regulate body size based on food available. And because it is a life or death commitment, the genes won't commit to dramatic size increases skeletally unless that increased nutrition has been consistently present over several generations.

Last edited by Longue Carabine; 12-25-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Longue Carabine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2020, 11:39 AM   #60
Old Blue
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mexico,

Think it is not genetics Its high protein and managing herds. There is hunter on here that is growing 200 class deer in Louisiana with natural genetics using food plots feed and letting deer reach proper age class. I bet the average age deer killed on most ranches in hill country are lower than STX.
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2020, 12:18 PM   #61
DedDuk
Six Point

Hunt In: East and West TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 Bound View Post
I still strongly disagree. Maybe itís relative to individual experience. For me, the deer in South Texas are the smartest deer I have ever hunted. Especially when compared to the hill country. LF of course.
Anything is smart compared to a hill country deer.
DedDuk is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2020, 12:27 PM   #62
TalonErickson7
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DedDuk View Post
Anything is smart compared to a hill country deer.

I just donít think they have many places to hide in comparison to East Texas deer and thick south Texas brush. Also there is so many women (does) in the hill country I think during the rut they are all running wild not knowing what to do with themselves haha

Old 12-25-2020, 12:28 PM   #63
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties

Our south Texas deer are dumb till they hit 5 or so. After that, good luck.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2020, 12:28 PM   #64
Pernell
Ten Point

Hunt In: N.M., East Texas, South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longue Carabine View Post
Deer in east Texas are generally thriving to a lesser degree because of tree cover. East Texas has much better soil and rainfall which leads to better potential, but that potential ends up producing tons of tree cover that reduces browse within reach of the deer. And generally areas that are cleared of tree cover are growing hay etc for cattle, which is useless to deer.
East Texas suck! No deer here.
Pernell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2020, 02:22 PM   #65
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Hogg

Quote:
Agreed
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2020, 08:48 PM   #66
ethic1
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
Think it is not genetics Its high protein and managing herds. There is hunter on here that is growing 200 class deer in Louisiana with natural genetics using food plots feed and letting deer reach proper age class. I bet the average age deer killed on most ranches in hill country are lower than STX.

Exactly. Feed them for generations and let them get old and they all can be big!

ethic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2020, 09:09 PM   #67
Grant2
Ten Point

Hunt In: Big Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalonErickson7 View Post
So you think you could have 5,000 acres in South Texas and 5,000 acres in the Hill Country and produce the same quality of deer on each place?

If you let them mature yes sir.
Grant2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2020, 09:16 PM   #68
Grant2
Ten Point

I have been hunting in the hill country for 30 years and have seen some monster bucks over the years. The problem with the hill country is most ranches never let the deer mature and lack of feed. If you have a big enough ranch and you let the deer get age on them they can get big. Like I said Age,Food and water you got big deer with proper management.
Old 12-25-2020, 09:30 PM   #69
TalonErickson7
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant2 View Post
I have been hunting in the hill country for 30 years and have seen some monster bucks over the years. The problem with the hill country is most ranches never let the deer mature and lack of feed. If you have a big enough ranch and you let the deer get age on them they can get big. Like I said Age,Food and water you got big deer with proper management.

But like I questioned before...

5,000 acres place in the hill country and 5,000 acre place in south Texas.. in a 15 year span who is going to have bigger deer and why?

Old 12-25-2020, 09:41 PM   #70
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

As a young kid I was told the growing season. Rattle snakes are lots bigger down there. No clue because deer north of the hill country are bigger.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2020, 09:45 PM   #71
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

Quote:

5,000 acres place in the hill country and 5,000 acre place in south Texas.. in a 15 year span who is going to have bigger deer and why?

Who has the most money to spend on this project? That is who will win.
Capt Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2020, 09:53 PM   #72
Grant2
Ten Point

Quote:

I have already said it age,food and water you have big deer no matter where you hunt hill country or south Texas. We have shot several deer over 200 pounds this year in the hill country because they are managed right. You will not see the amount of 200Ē deer in the hill country because most 90% never reach maturity.
Old 12-25-2020, 10:16 PM   #73
TalonErickson7
Ten Point

Quote:
I have already said it age,food and water you have big deer no matter where you hunt hill country or south Texas. We have shot several deer over 200 pounds this year in the hill country because they are managed right. You will not see the amount of 200Ē deer in the hill country because most 90% never reach maturity.

You must be on a well managed ranch with great genetics.
Very seldom do I hear anything about a Hill Country deer being 200+ pounds and have seen or heard personally of a free range 170+ deer coming from the hill country..
Iím sure itís possible but like Iím saying which you can disagree.
If you are given 5,000 acres in the hill country.. and you are in control of food, water and management
And same for the 5,000 acres in South Texas..
Which place will hold more 170+ deer in 10 years...

My answer.. (South Texas, simply just because IMO I believe the deer have a more natural browse with high protein due to the soil down south, high protein browse + protein us hunters provide + age = Muy Grande)

As far as Hill Country, I believe you will have to rely on your bucks to really hit your protein feeders hard and keep feeding them it relentlessly.

Old 12-25-2020, 10:22 PM   #74
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

You do realize there is a whole lot of ground in South Texas that sucks right? There are far more ranches in South Texas NOT growing 170" deer than are.
Capt Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2020, 10:27 PM   #75
cbd10pt
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for new places

I think it's very in obvious hill country deer are genetically inferior.
Two hours east , a 5 year old buck looks completely different. Brazos county has 180# deer and Blanco county has 130# 5 year olds. Both places have tons of water and food.
cbd10pt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2020, 10:31 PM   #76
TalonErickson7
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
You do realize there is a whole lot of ground in South Texas that sucks right? There are far more ranches in South Texas NOT growing 170" deer than are.

Iím aware and Iím not targeting one particular part of South Texas just as Iím not targeting one particular part of the Hill Country..
I think we all know what Iím getting at.

Old 12-25-2020, 10:53 PM   #77
Headhunter
Six Point

Hunt In: LaSalle Co

As everyone has said, South Texas has some the best Forbs and Shrubs in Texas which produce annually about 15-18% crude protein. Most are also very drought tolerant. The problem with the Hill Country which I haven’t seen posted is posted is Cedar. Cedar is horrible if not kept in check. Sucks the water out the soil and basically kills everything. Harper Texas is a prime example. That road from Fredericksburg to I10 is loaded with cedar and the deer along that road look like baby goats. Cedar has basically canopied the whole land. Well, just something to think about. Get rid of cedar, and the grass and weeds will start to show. In return, will saturate the soils and fill the water sheds. Lots of dry creeks will start running again.
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-25-2020, 11:05 PM   #78
ElfEyes
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas

https://youtu.be/ovvpgyUWGSQ

Here's a pretty good video on the subject

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
ElfEyes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2020, 08:17 AM   #79
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
If you let them mature yes sir.
This is just incorrect.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2020, 08:36 AM   #80
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Does anyone have pics of a 200+lb hill country deer. Never would have thought they got that heavy in that area. Not saying they won’t but be nice to see one. Live or dead. Also letting every deer reach maturity doesn’t guarantee big deer. Some times it just guarantees a big fat 7 yr old cull that’s just another mouth to feed.
Old 12-26-2020, 08:50 AM   #81
TXhoghunter94
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Jacinto, Fayette, Leon, Real county TX

The wide buck weighed 180lb and the spike weighed right at 200lb, low fence hill country but we do feed a lot of protein and let the bucks peak.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
TXhoghunter94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2020, 08:50 AM   #82
Puncher51
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mason, Callahan, and Stonewall Counties

I’m not sure why I’m like a moth to a flame with this thread. So much bad information. Deer density is the #1 reason Hill Country deer have lower body weights and less quality antlers compared to other parts of the state. Deer density and overstocking by goats and sheep over the last 100 years is why most ranches are devoid of primary and secondary choice shrubs. This is why ranches who keep their deer numbers in check, haven’t overgrazed/browsed their forage, and only shoot mature bucks grow monster deer every year. Deer density is so bad, that a high fence to keep deer OUT is one of the best practices to grow large bucks in this region. It is why these ranches, with no improved genetics or DMP, can grow 170”+ deer regularly. Too many hunters, too many young bucks being shot, and too many animals fighting over the now limited resources have created a major problem. The good thing is now a lot of people are realizing this, and the Hill Country is growing some great bucks again.
Puncher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2020, 08:51 AM   #83
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
That depends on what you are calling South Texas. The brush country south of San Antonio does not suck.

Old 12-26-2020, 08:58 AM   #84
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Quote:
Amen... can we throw those Mexico deer in this group as well? Seems when they hit 6 they're a completely new animal.

BUT we have some Mexico deer so dumb I've shot management deer out of my truck with my bow. I've literally stepped out and shanked wild free range deer by hunting out of my truck.
Mexico is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2020, 09:40 AM   #85
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
The wide buck weighed 180lb and the spike weighed right at 200lb, low fence hill country but we do feed a lot of protein and let the bucks peak.

Canít see the pics but if your getting them you guys must be doing something right. The heaviest buck Iíve taken in the hill country was a 6 yr old ten that went 135 lbs.
Old 12-26-2020, 10:39 AM   #86
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexico View Post
Amen... can we throw those Mexico deer in this group as well? Seems when they hit 6 they're a completely new animal.

BUT we have some Mexico deer so dumb I've shot management deer out of my truck with my bow. I've literally stepped out and shanked wild free range deer by hunting out of my truck.

Trans pecos deer get 5 and they become a aberration.

Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2020, 12:47 PM   #87
TXhoghunter94
Ten Point

Hopefully these load correctly

Old 12-26-2020, 01:09 PM   #88
TalonErickson7
Ten Point

Quote:
Hopefully these load correctly

Still donít believe you. Haha just kidding.
Which part of the Hill Country are those fat things from?

Old 12-26-2020, 01:12 PM   #89
TXhoghunter94
Ten Point

Quote:
Still donít believe you. Haha just kidding.
Which part of the Hill Country are those fat things from?

We are in llano, we feed a ton of protein and stay on top of our deer numbers

Old 12-26-2020, 01:27 PM   #90
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
So you think you could have 5,000 acres in South Texas and 5,000 acres in the Hill Country and produce the same quality of deer on each place?

Quote:
No way. Go look at Los Cazadores low fence. All over 200Ē Webb, LaSalle, Dimmit. I bet there wasnít one low fence 200Ē deer taken anywhere in the hill country.
Yes absolutely with the same genetics.

There are 200Ē deer killed every year in the hill country.
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2020, 01:36 PM   #91
sharpstick35
Ten Point

Hunt In: rocksprings tx

In the HC there isn't as good of browse available for the capacity of the land. goats and sheep prefer to eat the same things as WT as do a lot of exotics. In some places the axis are beginning to outnumber them. if you look around when driving through the HC and the oaks look like parkland, its due to overgrazing.
sharpstick35 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2020, 02:45 PM   #92
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

200 lb deer in Llano?

Old 12-26-2020, 02:46 PM   #93
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post

Maybe a couple high fence ones with genetics from other areas in the breeding programs.

Old 12-26-2020, 03:03 PM   #94
trophy8
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
Maybe a couple high fence ones with genetics from other areas in the breeding programs.

Mason county. Menard county.

And youíd be awfully surprised what comes out of Llano lol
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2020, 03:25 PM   #95
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Mason county. Menard county.

And youíd be awfully surprised what comes out of Llano lol
A bunch 70 lb does. Lol.

Old 12-26-2020, 04:02 PM   #96
TalonErickson7
Ten Point

Quote:
We are in llano, we feed a ton of protein and stay on top of our deer numbers

Where at in Llano I was on a lease there for 5 years.

Old 12-26-2020, 04:04 PM   #97
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Where at in Llano I was on a lease there for 5 years.

The area that produces 200" deer with bodies of Minnesota deer. Lol.

Old 12-26-2020, 04:08 PM   #98
TalonErickson7
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
The area that produces 200" deer with bodies of Minnesota deer. Lol.

Just producing land whales over there

Old 12-26-2020, 04:17 PM   #99
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties

Quote:

There are multiple 200Ē deer killed all over south Texas. Iím not saying you canít pop one every now and then in the hill country, but it ainít nowhere close to south Texas. Show proof of one low fence 200Ē low fence buck.
panhandlehunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-26-2020, 04:20 PM   #100
Jimbo47
Eight Point

Hunt In: The last LF ranch in S. Texas

It's not that the HC can't produce huge bucks comparable to south Texas deer, but it's the fact that you have to artificially supply the supplements on a continuous basis to KEEP producing quality deer in the HC as compared to south Texas.
Stop feeding the supplements on those HC deer and the body size and antlers will also decline back to what the land can naturally produce.
Take the same size ranch in south Texas that is natural without any supplements, and a HC ranch the same size, the deer on the south Texas ranch will be bigger period.
Growing large deer in the HC, you better be in it for the long haul and have deep pockets.

Personal experience here:
I hunted a ranch where the deer were typical HC deer, and after a few years a supplemental feeding program was started and the deer would rival anything that south Texas could produce.
New management took over and they reverted back to natural land management, no supplemental feeding and cedar removal and the deer reverted back to typical hill country size deer of a little better than average size and antlers, but still nothing like a south Texas deer.
All this was observed personally over 17 years of hunting the ranch.
I'm now hunting south Texas low fence with no supplemental feeding and yes, the deer are bigger in body, and larger racks than a natural hill country deer.
Location, location, location!

Last edited by Jimbo47; 12-26-2020 at 04:46 PM.
Jimbo47 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top