Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-05-2020, 04:25 PM   #1
PigOPs
Six Point

Default Staying warm in the treestand on a budget.

I would love to be able to afford first lite or sitka gear but I can't justify the money at this point in my life. Thought I would pull together some green screen experience on staying warm on a budget.

I'm asking about treestand or still hunting in Texas and Arkansas. I have a buddy heater and have hunted from a blind where you could go naked... I get it.... I like to chase 'em around the woods.

Do you have budget friendly brands or possibly just some tips to staying warm on the colder days of season?

Thanks in advance!
PigOPs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 04:27 PM   #2
sideways
Ten Point

Layers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sideways is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 04:30 PM   #3
bowaddict40
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Navarro County

Cabelas has some great base layers that are a pretty decent price. I bought some 2 years ago and cant believe I waited so long. Other than that whatever your outer layers are just make sure they are wind proof. That will help a ton.
bowaddict40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 04:30 PM   #4
aclark0495
Eight Point

Hunt In: Alto, Texas

AMazon has some good fleece lined base layers that are very warm.
aclark0495 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 04:32 PM   #5
Low Fence
Pope & Young

What temp are you calling “cold”?
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 04:35 PM   #6
JLivi1224
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public

What size fella are ya?

I have some mid/late season warm stuff I was thinking about rounding up and trying to sale. All new stuff. Never worn. Had for a while
JLivi1224 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 04:35 PM   #7
PigOPs
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
What temp are you calling “cold”?
That's a fair question. I am talking about the coldest days we face. 20s-30s

I agree with the layering suggestion and actually do have some different brands of base layers.

I would really like to find a decent wind blocker because it's usually the wind that gets me in the end.

BTW-I'm talking about long sits as well. Not just a 2-3 hour stint.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:42 PM   #8
Johnny44
Ten Point

You and your snickers bar are the heater. Your job is to regulate the heat loss. That expensive stuff works not too great for me and I got rid of it all, its overrated.

If it real cold your base layer should be polartec powerdry.

My layering only includes fleece, wool is over rated except for feet, and anything with mass is a no-go.

My three rules of thumb are if it makes noise, NO and if its cold to the touch (mass) after it has been outside in the cold, NO. If it stays soggy or traps sweat, NO

If you are sitting, rubber or leather boots or any boot with mass will suck the heat out of ya.
A cheap pair of nylon pac boots or a woman’s furry thang oversized with thin nylon socks and thicker wool socks on top make life good.

The Cabela’s stuff is good. Look for some Polartec 200 or 300 vest on ebay.

I’m outside a bunch in the winter and whether hiking, camping, or hunting, probably 4 days per week from Oct-April from Florida to Alaska and Canada.

Last edited by Johnny44; 08-05-2020 at 05:19 PM.
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 04:43 PM   #9
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigOPs View Post
That's a fair question. I am talking about the coldest days we face. 20s-30s

I agree with the layering suggestion and actually do have some different brands of base layers.

I would really like to find a decent wind blocker because it's usually the wind that gets me in the end.

BTW-I'm talking about long sits as well. Not just a 2-3 hour stint.
Besides wearing a rain jacket or some sort of soft shell jacket the best thing I have is a King’s wind defender fleece jacket that is fairly windproof. Layering will help with cutting the wind as well.

If you’re anything like me I can handle being in the cold but I can’t deal with cold hands and feet. That is what will get me to head in. Since going to uninsulated boots several years ago and wearing the proper socks, as well as warm gloves, it seems to help me a lot.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 04:43 PM   #10
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

Cabelas Wooltimate or Berber is the best bang for the buck in regards to warmth. A little bulky for archery IMO.

Would help to know what kind of “budget“ you are on.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 04:44 PM   #11
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Get a vest with inside pockets or a shirt with chest pockets. Hot hands then another shirt and jacket.
Hot hands in over all pockets.
I can handle a whole lot of cold with a few well placed hot hands
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 04:47 PM   #12
bobbaganoosh
Six Point

Hunt In: Public

hot hands
bobbaganoosh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 04:47 PM   #13
Graysonhogs
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fannin/Grayson/Erath

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLivi1224 View Post
What size fella are ya?

I have some mid/late season warm stuff I was thinking about rounding up and trying to sale. All new stuff. Never worn. Had for a while
This,
I've gotten a lot of good cold weather gear in the classifieds
Graysonhogs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 04:47 PM   #14
bowaddict40
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond10x View Post
Besides wearing a rain jacket or some sort of soft shell jacket the best thing I have is a King’s wind defender fleece jacket that is fairly windproof. Layering will help with cutting the wind as well.

If you’re anything like me I can handle being in the cold but I can’t deal with cold hands and feet. That is what will get me to head in. Since going to uninsulated boots several years ago and wearing the proper socks, as well as warm gloves, it seems to help me a lot.
My feet are my problem as well. What socks do you use?
Old 08-05-2020, 04:48 PM   #15
PigOPs
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowaddict40 View Post

I found some merino wool socks by a company called meriwool. That with some insulated neoprene boots keeps my feet pretty warm

Old 08-05-2020, 04:51 PM   #16
bowaddict40
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigOPs View Post
I found some merino wool socks by a company called meriwool. That with some insulated neoprene boots keeps my feet pretty warm

I think part of my problem is sweating. Getting to the stand my feet get to hot. I like to wear rubber boots to keep the scent down.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:51 PM   #17
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Unless it’s extreme cold, my uninsulated boots work best. My feet don’t sweat and they have room to breath. Makes a world of difference over insulated boots that have your feet sweating before even making it to the stand
Old 08-05-2020, 04:54 PM   #18
bowaddict40
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Unless it’s extreme cold, my uninsulated boots work best. My feet don’t sweat and they have room to breath. Makes a world of difference over insulated boots that have your feet sweating before even making it to the stand
This may be my problem. I know my socks are soaking wet when I get back to the barn. LOL...Yea I sweat a little.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:57 PM   #19
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Quote:
This may be my problem. I know my socks are soaking wet when I get back to the barn. LOL...Yea I sweat a little.

Yes sir! I wear a pair of good thick wool socks and my Irish Setter rubber boots. I can roll like that down into the low 30’s. Once it gets much past below freezing, I have to up my game a bit.

Old 08-05-2020, 04:59 PM   #20
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

In
jshouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 05:00 PM   #21
TxBowHntr
Six Point

Hunt In: Lee, Bee, Nueces, Uvalde

I have had success layering up with Merino Wool base layers. Not cheap, but will save you $ in the long run as you don't need to spend $300+ each for a jacket and pants. I use the merino wool layers, and have the Magellan Soft Shell set from Academy. I have hunting in freezing temps in Oklahoma with that set up and have been beyond warm. Actually had to unzip the vents in the armpits of the jacket to keep from sweating.
TxBowHntr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 05:02 PM   #22
RattlesnakeDan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Whatever you decide on make sure you practice with it. After all these years in treestands from Montana, Colorado, Wisconsin, Kansas, Minnesota and elsewhere I still sometimes forget to check my equipment in my rush to get out. Missed Mr. Bigstuff last year at 7 yds in the rain because I got caught on my jacket with my longbow string. Stuck in the ground under his belly and he just stood there looking around.
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 05:04 PM   #23
2BigMethod
Six Point

Hunt In: MILLS CO.

Heater body suit and therm pad
2BigMethod is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 05:23 PM   #24
rolylane6
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wise county

As others have said, my hands n feet are the most vulnerable to me. I pack good gloves and a pair of artic shields for my feet. The article shields are bulky but weigh nothing so I just clip them to the outside of my pack. I also roll up my bibs/coat and strap them to my pack. No matter how cold it is I walk/hike to my stand wearing only my base layers and pants/shirt. Sometimes ill just wear the base layer shirt and pack the outer shirt. I dont want to sweat at all getting there. Once you're wet you've lost the battle. I dont use very expensive clothing. I have some cabelas base layers that I bought on clearance and same for my bibs/jacket. The bibs and coat are really warm once I'm in my stand as long as I don't sweat and soak my under clothing before I get there. For my feet I usually wear noninsulated boots so my feet don't sweat and then put the artic shield on in the stand too.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 06:20 PM   #25
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Buy second hand on Archery Talk. Always some good deals.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 06:35 PM   #26
RattlesnakeDan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Here is the other thing you need.
https://hushcovers.com/
One of my brothers started this company because of noisy tree stands, it's called a Hush Cover, they really make your stand quiet but they keep your feet warm too. I have one of the first ones and it's hard to go into my stand without it.
RattlesnakeDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 07:19 PM   #27
MIHunter
Pope & Young

Following
MIHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 07:42 PM   #28
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

I saw a write up about using M65 insulated layer, military "puffy" type stuff

Might be worth looking into
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 07:55 PM   #29
Native Texan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County

I use disposable handwarmers in my coveralls pockets. If it's really cold I put toe warmers in my rubber boots. They work well to take the edge off the chill.
Native Texan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 08:07 PM   #30
wes122984
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coalgate & Atoka, OK

I get cold easy and no amount or any certain type of clothing keeps me warm.

Make you a heated seat... warms your entire body from the core . I did a diy thread on one. It’s seriously the best piece of hunting gear I’ve owned.

wes122984 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 08:16 PM   #31
Txtourist
Six Point

Hunt In: MN, SD,TX

Late season archery and coyotes in Minnesota and the Dakotas will push you to the limit of what cold you can handle. That said, you guys have a special cold combined with the humidity that cuts to the bone! I’ll take zero degrees and dry over that clammy stuff.
I like running tights and tight fleece running pants from REI. Same for up top. A running shirt, non cotton t shirt, light fleece long sleeve.
Silver thread socks with 50% or higher merino blends. Boots are on a Peet boot dryer when not on my feet. Socks and boots don’t go on my feet until I’m walking to the stand. Often I’ll wear a heavy pair of lacrosse rubber boots a size big.
I don’t own any fancy outerwear, often I’ll just wear a heavy carhart sweatshirt and another heavier fleece jacket.
A fleece Balaclava is essential as it covers my neck snugly and my head. A coyote fur hat for the coldest days, otherwise a Good multi layer fleece cap. As for gloves, oversize leather choppers with fox river wool liners. My hand is inside with the release. I even have a left glove I cut open the palm and sewed Velcro and put on the bow. The gloves are big so i can move inside of them and pull out of them with little movement. There’s also room for hand warmers.
Hydration cannot be understated. I usually take a break from alcohol and salty food during cold hunts.
A lot of guys use army surplus bunny boots or the big boot covers along with Insulated body bags. I’ve brought wool Amy surplus blankets along to sit on and wrap up my legs. Hot cocoa or coffee with a cup holder helps.
The guys I know that do all day sits in places like Saskatchewan often layer up and wear Ice armor suits made for ice fishing with a White flour sack Over the top to deaden the nylon sounds.
Box blinds and buddy heaters work wonders too. ��

I have screwed plywood “blinders” on the sides of hang on stands to cut the wind in certain locations where it doesn’t block shooting lanes.

https://www.amazon.com/Balaclava-Ski.../dp/B0841R427C

https://www.amazon.com/Balaclava-Ski.../dp/B0841R427C

Last edited by Txtourist; 08-05-2020 at 08:21 PM.
Txtourist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 08:19 PM   #32
Rusto 23
Four Point

Hunt In: Edwards County

I have had friends use this brand in Michigan winter and really praised it. I was looking into their lighter gear around our property.

https://www.asatcamo.com
Rusto 23 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 09:10 PM   #33
hoythunter02
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady, Texas

Quote:
Cabelas Wooltimate or Berber is the best bang for the buck in regards to warmth. A little bulky for archery IMO.

I second this, wind will not blow through this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
hoythunter02 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 09:45 PM   #34
HogCommander
Four Point

Look for surplus military Polartec ECWS bibs on eBay...very affordable, easy to layer on/off, very quiet and very warm
HogCommander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-05-2020, 10:31 PM   #35
banzai
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba

If it's that cold, bring a sleeping bag up there with you, and stand-up in it, then sit down. Pull it up as high as possible so you can still run your safety line etc and be able to shoot.

I used to stand in a sleeping bag and call fire missions in cold weather staying warm, eating snacks during training.

A sleeping bag will keep you much warmer than insulated pants and jacket. you do not need to walk while in a stand.
banzai is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2020, 06:39 AM   #36
Vap
Ten Point

Hunt In: L.A. Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolylane6 View Post
As others have said, my hands n feet are the most vulnerable to me. I pack good gloves and a pair of artic shields for my feet. The article shields are bulky but weigh nothing so I just clip them to the outside of my pack. I also roll up my bibs/coat and strap them to my pack. No matter how cold it is I walk/hike to my stand wearing only my base layers and pants/shirt. Sometimes ill just wear the base layer shirt and pack the outer shirt. I dont want to sweat at all getting there. Once you're wet you've lost the battle. I dont use very expensive clothing. I have some cabelas base layers that I bought on clearance and same for my bibs/jacket. The bibs and coat are really warm once I'm in my stand as long as I don't sweat and soak my under clothing before I get there. For my feet I usually wear noninsulated boots so my feet don't sweat and then put the artic shield on in the stand too.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Arctic shields are awesome they are always in my pac .
if it’s really cold you can put hand warmers in them.
Vap is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2020, 07:54 AM   #37
mjhaverkamp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cooke, Wilbarger, Foard Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by banzai View Post
If it's that cold, bring a sleeping bag up there with you, and stand-up in it, then sit down. Pull it up as high as possible so you can still run your safety line etc and be able to shoot.

I used to stand in a sleeping bag and call fire missions in cold weather staying warm, eating snacks during training.

A sleeping bag will keep you much warmer than insulated pants and jacket. you do not need to walk while in a stand.
/\/\
mjhaverkamp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2020, 08:28 AM   #38
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

I have a set of Cabela's Wooltimate that I have owned for a lot of years. It is probably the warmest gear I have but it is bulky. I normally revert to it during the hard winter months up here when I am out calling coyotes.
I would suggest looking into it.
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-06-2020, 08:36 AM   #39
Low Fence
Pope & Young

I hunt the same areas early December and this is what I now wear:

BCG base layers (from academy )
Scent blocker mid season ( on sale now 40% off)
Under armor storm 1 hoodie (wear on boat and 4 wheeler ride, carry when walking)

Good socks and muck wetlands 1/2 size big. My feet have always been my weak link and at 40 I finally figured what worked for me

I stay warm all day and not bulky. As well as athletic enough to climb and hike and quiet

If low 20’s or more than 10 mph wind I may pack in cabelas fleece pants and over sized jacket and put on at stand
Low Fence is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2020, 01:59 AM   #40
rebelbow
Ten Point

Hunt In: tx,ks,ok

light weight wicking base layer
expedition weight fleece
cabelas wooltimate windproof fleece jacket and pants
fleece windproof baclava and toboggan
wicking base layer socks
merino wool socks
pac boots

also used a body suit similar to the heater body suit last year --worked great
rebelbow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2020, 06:35 AM   #41
Clark
Ten Point

Hunt In: Collingsworth Co.

Quote:

I use the polar grade base layer and the Berber fleece, both from Cabelas and have to be e careful about not overheating walking to stand.
The wind shear versions of the Berber fleece are noisy for archery, I’d stay away from that.
I also use those fleece tubes for my hands, they are great.
Hope this helps.
Clark is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2020, 09:03 AM   #42
Tmag
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Depends on the TPWD draw results!

I layer -
short sleeve t-shirt
long sleeve t-shirt
long sleeve flannel
pullover or zip up fleece
jacket if needed

long johns
blue jeans/camo pants
bib overalls

wicking heavy socks
insulated boots

Nothing fancy, just what I have.

The heated packs are a nice extra.
Tmag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2020, 09:27 AM   #43
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

Layer up. Carry sleeping bag and use for legs and feet. Works for me.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2020, 10:11 AM   #44
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

As you can see, layering is the thing. I mostly hunt SETx these days so mid 30s is about as cold as it gets with a few days 32 or below. I use thin Merino wool on the coldest days. I rarely wear a jacket. Neck gaiters, wool beanies or sock caps are the key to staying warm, keep that noogin' warm and you should be good. Boot? I haven't worn rubber boots in over 20 years. They are your enemy when hunting unless you have to go through high water. Rubber boots are a stinky, sweat bucket that poofs a pile of scent on the ground with every step you take. I use a lightweight hiking boot, far less scent problems.

The key? Lightweight layers, unless it is brutal, then its lightweight with heavy over the top.
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-08-2020, 10:20 AM   #45
Acameron52
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman & Loving

Layers man!! They don’t have to be expensive to be warm!
Acameron52 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top