Trick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedBear78 View Post
    If I follow I say no.The plane isn’t moving and wind won’t give it lift.That’s the answer that makes sense in my head.
    Your head is wrong

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
      I don’t see the “trick” here. The answer is obviously no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      The answer is obviously yes but your correct, no trick here

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
        Thrust only works because the wheels roll, moving the plane forward through the atmosphere, creating wind under the wings, causing lift.
        Does it matter how much thrust a jet engine puts out, if the plane never moves forward?
        If the conveyor constantly matches the plane wheels, how will the plane ever move forward?
        It won't.
        The harder the jet pushes, the faster the conveyor goes backwards, and the wheels never roll an inch forward, therefore the plane doesn't move an inch forward.
        Thrust has to roll the plane forward through the atmosphere in order to create lift, so if the plane cannot roll forward on it's wheels, how are you creating this magical lift you speak of?
        Can we set the plane on it's belly and still take off if we had a way to steer it?
        At what amount of thrust, with a plane sitting still, can we just yank the landing gear out from underneath it, and expect it to take off?
        Your forgetting gravity has not been overcome yet, and friction from it is still in play.
        Now once the jet has taken off, that's a different story, different comparison, we have overcome gravity.
        Can a jet that flys 500mph, move forward in a 500mph head wind?
        That's apple to apples.
        FFS

The myth busters setup is a joke, besides, props to jets is a different comparison all together.
        All that typing to be wrong. What a shame

Comment

It depends on if someone puts the little grocery divider bar down behind the jet.

Comment

I must say at first I thought No. Then after reading a few comments I was mistaken. A big yes.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
              Thrust only works because the wheels roll, moving the plane forward through the atmosphere, creating wind under the wings, causing lift.
              Does it matter how much thrust a jet engine puts out, if the plane never moves forward?
              If the conveyor constantly matches the plane wheels, how will the plane ever move forward?
              It won't.
              The harder the jet pushes, the faster the conveyor goes backwards, and the wheels never roll an inch forward, therefore the plane doesn't move an inch forward.
              Thrust has to roll the plane forward through the atmosphere in order to create lift, so if the plane cannot roll forward on it's wheels, how are you creating this magical lift you speak of?
              Can we set the plane on it's belly and still take off if we had a way to steer it?
              At what amount of thrust, with a plane sitting still, can we just yank the landing gear out from underneath it, and expect it to take off?
              Your forgetting gravity has not been overcome yet, and friction from it is still in play.
              Now once the jet has taken off, that's a different story, different comparison, we have overcome gravity.
              Can a jet that flys 500mph, move forward in a 500mph head wind?
              That's apple to apples.
              FFS

The myth busters setup is a joke, besides, props to jets is a different comparison all together.

How's that?

Comment

Its going to need a runway because she is coming off the conveyor belt...LOL

Comment

Wind has to be passing over the wings to create lift…
                  The only way a plane lifts is if it’s going fast enough for the wind speed over the wings to create enough lift to overcome the weight of the plane. . Stall speed!

Think of it like a kite with no wind, except a kite is stationary so it needs wind to lift it, a plane creates its own air speed (wind) through thrust.

Mad hatter is dead on about the 500mph head wind

If the conveyor can keep up, it would have to spin so fast that the tires are creating enough friction and counter force to keep the plane in the same spot… unlikely..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Feel like 1/2 the people don’t even understand the question. Yes the answer is yes.

Comment

If the wheels have to spin for the plane to fly, how do they stay in the air when they fold up the landing gear? It has nothing to do with the wheels spinning and everything to do with lift.

Comment

Dang guys..... use your head. I drive an airboat without wheels. When the thrust reaches a certain point, it will move forward. Those engines don't even know the wheels are there.

Comment

D. - All of the above.

Comment

Interesting...never saw that one.

Not quite the same with the bird being pulled vs being on a stationary belt.

Comment

From the original question we don't even know if the engines are running.

Comment

Think about a float plane..

It doesn't have ( or need) wheels to provide the thrust. The prop does that. All the wheels do is prevent friction from slowing it down. (or providing another force to overcome).

Comment

Working...
                                X