Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diddy poles, bank lines, limb lines etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diddy poles, bank lines, limb lines etc.

Alright, I'm a beginner here, am running some lines, and have some questions. I'll lay out what I'm doing, and what I feel like I'm doing wrong, you experts help me out before I start changing things that don't need changing.

Set lines Tuesday (10). First check was today, no bait (big bluegill) 1 straight hook.

First off, I'm working nights, so can only run lines 1X every 24ish hrs. I promised my daughter we would run some lines this week, then got put on some OT. Not to disappoint her, we're doing what we can. I think this is problem number 1, if a fish gets on early and has that much time to fight, more likely to get off.

River is up, running pretty hard. It is dropping, but fairly slowly I think. Don't know if this is helping or hurting or doesn't matter.

Fishing in 1.5' to 8', all lines near drop off. Some lines are on downstream side of drainage dumping into river, some near laydowns, and some on deep side of hard bends.

I did put a half hitch in several of the lines holding them off the bottom, a lot of these only gave about 2'-2.5' of line. I think this hurt me, not allowing the fish to take the bait and swim with it. I didn't do this when I reset them today. Thoughts?

5/0 circle hooks- I did order some 8/0 to get more gap in the mouth of the hook, felt like the baits were taking up too much of the hook gap.

I think my 2 biggest problems are time between checks, and the half hitches not giving enough line to actually take the bait. Any ideas or tips?

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk

I’m not a circle hook fan myself. Sounds like you might have a turtle and Gar problem. Was there any twist offs?
    Last edited by Gumbo Man; 05-03-2023, 06:27 PM.

Comment

So river dropping is not
      Normally good fishing. Find
      cut banks where the there are tree’s growing out at water level. Running once a day is not a big deal but bait as close to dark as possible. Fish the eddy’s and sometimes if you have current that runs through a brush pile fish right down stream of that structure. It is just trial and error but remember what works and repeat that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Could be all the above reasons, but I’m with Terry, I bet turtles or gar may be stealing your bait. What are you using for bait?

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
          I’m not a circle hook fan myself. Sounds like you might have a turtle and Gar problem. Was there any twist offs?
          No twist offs
          Originally posted by McClain View Post
          Could be all the above reasons, but I’m with Terry, I bet turtles or gar may be stealing your bait. What are you using for bait?
          Big bluegill

Comment

Start noodling

Comment

Longer line should help the perch escape the slow turtles. How deep are you hooking the Perch below the spine?

Comment

Always bait just before dark. Keeps trash fish/turtles from getting your bait.
                What was said about location of sets is spot on. Cut banks and structure; logs, logjams, root balls are good spots. Try different depths and take into account how fast the river is dropping; you don’t want that first hook high and dry the next day.
                I like tying my lines to limbs so there will be some give to it if a fish gets on.
                You can use a cut limb stuck into the bank also. Make sure it’s solid though.
                I like a good size weight on my limb/throw lines in a river that has current. Usually 3 hooks maybe 4. Cup full of concrete with an eyebolt. Heavy piece of scrap metal. Something like that that weighs a couple of lbs.
                Pull it tight after baiting it at a 45 deg angle downstream and drop it so it will stay some what tight.
                I don’t like circle hooks either: J hooks will work better for more hook ups.
                Bream/perch are good bait. I like crawfish too. Dead shad are good but more for blues and Channel’s. I have used carp and goldfish too.
                I know people set lines with out a weight in lakes but in current I like a good heavy weight on the end of the line.
                One other thing is I would put a swivel on every hook staging, it will help on twist offs.
                Good luck. Nothing better that father/daughter or son line running!

Remember too if your not running them in the morning the next day someone else may be!
                Last edited by Killer; 05-03-2023, 08:21 PM.

Comment

If you’re using circle hooks time between running lines isn’t a problem. Like mentioned above, sounds like bait thieves.

Bait right before dark, and I like to mix in some cut bait, beef spleen stays on the hook really well and you can get from local butcher or slaughter house. It’s also early but big yellow grasshoppers are also good to mix it up. Your bait thief might not like these other options and leave them behind, giving the cats a chance to bite.

Comment

I know noting, but bump for RiverRat1 who knows river fishing for cats.

Comment

Straightened hook is an issue.. ....

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                        I know noting, but bump for RiverRat1 who knows river fishing for cats.
                        I just saw this thread thanks to Burnadell.

A lot will depend on what river you're fishing. If it has needle nose gar, alligator gar etc. What size catfish you want - eaters, a mixture of eaters with maybe a big one, or huge ones.

I only run single hook lines so bait can swim more freely. 3+ hooks is far too much line to catch big ones. I'm sure they're caught but I bet a lot of times the line gets snagged. A 2-4 pound weight will be drug around by a 20# cat so if any underwater snag is there you're screwed.

Try the biggest circle hooks you have and use cut carp in strips like 1" by 3" long. Hook from meat side and then through the skin. It won't come off easy and you should catch a ton more fish compared to live bait. Fresh carp is far better than frozen.

The lines should be slimed up if cats were hooked and twisted off. If not it's most likely gar taking the bait.

Comment

Originally posted by Slabby View Post
                          Straightened hook is an issue.. ....
                          Takes a heavy circle to hold bigger gar. Not the light circles like octopus or anything that says light wire.

Comment

The bigger the hook the better. I bet as mentioned above gar or turtles. The dang turtles well decimate your hook set.

Fresh cut bait is always the best. Live bait is great during warmer months in my opinion.

Leaders need to have room to move.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                              Longer line should help the perch escape the slow turtles. How deep are you hooking the Perch below the spine?
                              3/4" I would imagine on bigger perch.

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                              I just saw this thread thanks to Burnadell.

A lot will depend on what river you're fishing. If it has needle nose gar, alligator gar etc. What size catfish you want - eaters, a mixture of eaters with maybe a big one, or huge ones.

I only run single hook lines so bait can swim more freely. 3+ hooks is far too much line to catch big ones. I'm sure they're caught but I bet a lot of times the line gets snagged. A 2-4 pound weight will be drug around by a 20# cat so if any underwater snag is there you're screwed.

Try the biggest circle hooks you have and use cut carp in strips like 1" by 3" long. Hook from meat side and then through the skin. It won't come off easy and you should catch a ton more fish compared to live bait. Fresh carp is far better than frozen.

The lines should be slimed up if cats were hooked and twisted off. If not it's most likely gar taking the bait.
                              Right now I'm really just trying to learn how to catch big flathead. I don't have much trouble with channels and blues to just fill the freezer.

Comment

Working...
                              X