No announcement yet.

Official 2022-2023 LAKE WHITNEY & AQUILLA Hunting & Fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok thanks, @Texas Grown, I thought that might me the right spot there, but it looked like it went down some where another there but also being in a 2 wheel drive light truck and alot of rain, didn't wanna just randomly drive down there and get stuck to see if it was the spot or not. @Jeremy ok, so probably stay safe and park off the road and just walk down, last thing I wanna do is have to pay a tow truck to pull me out or get towed...plus my phone is very spoty in that area

Comment

Anybody gonna be dove hunting tomorrow evening? Thinking bout heading out there with my son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey Jeremy, I haven't decided yet. Got lots to get done tomorrow! But might be some others that will.

Comment

I just got out here to see what I can see , it's hot!

Comment

Have some looks lous traveling up n down the highway.

Comment

So I'm gonna put this here so hopefully our little group will see it first. Since I'm still in town and will be it looks like until April/May, and since I'm kinda, sorta, semi-retired in a I'm lazy and don't want to work anymore way, and since I haven't sold my duck boat and all the stuff that goes with it, I will have some openings this duck season for a spot or two. I usually hunt a lake close the the DFW metromess. If you are in the metromess and don't have a boat, or have private ponds and don't have the gear, I'm making the front seat available. Heck, even if you have a boat and gear you can set in it. I'd like to take several hunters over the course of the season. I can probably hunt a day or two each week and the days are open. Mornings are best. I don't see much on the lakes I hunt in the evening.

Secondly, I'm going to put in for all the E-postcard duck hunts except Alazan Bayou and Big lake bottoms. If some want to team up on an application let me know. You'll have to have a public lands permit and of course a federal duck stamp. The draw deadline is Oct 1 so we will need to get on it soon. If you are interest pick some dates and places. I'm thinking different groups for different locations if I get a lot but I'm open to ideas. I usually draw something each year so if I don't draw I will blame you...

My youngest has moved to Abilene so we won't be hunting much together. I've burned all my Wyoming points and can't use my Colorado points until I get my butt off the couch and start working out and Arizona hunts won't happen until January so...

PM me and I will try to get back with you this coming week sometime. I will send you a response with a number letting you know your place in line. You'll need a set of waders, shotgun and shells. (non-toxic, which is somewhat of a misnomer since if you hit them with it that's pretty toxic in my book).

Also, my honey holes work some parts of the year and don't others but I usually see a few ducks. I wouldn't expect limits though.

Comment

That's a mighty fine offer JD! I will have to take you up on one of those hunts, if my schedule works out.

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                  That's a mighty fine offer JD! I will have to take you up on one of those hunts, if my schedule works out.

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

I agree! I talked to him last night, can’t wait!

Comment

We need some more rain, really bad! Overall, lakes in Texas are very low with the Colorado and Brazos lakes being the lowest. The Trinity lakes are losing quickly also.

Some of the Brazos lakes:

Whitney is 6.85 feet low.
                    Aquilla is 4.51 feet low, a lot for such a shallow lake that floods easily.
                    Waco is 9.53 feet low. I bet you could scoop the hybrids up by hand.
                    Proctor is 7.34 feet low.
                    Belton is 9.17 feet low.
                    Stillhouse is 8.83 feet low.
                    Lake Georgetown is 15.14 feet low.

I'll leave it at that without listing the rest. Granger and Grandbury are the only ones not low, but still below normal at -1.59 and -1.61 respectably.

Comment

I spent a little time discussing with the Army Corps of Engineers at Whitney about a subject that has come up on my radar several times over the last several years concerning Exotics on the land there. It is determined that all exotics are off limits. Whitetail and pigs are the only legal big game there. That means, should you see any, it is strongly recommended that you let them walk. And remember, that this is Federal land. And not state land. Taking one could result in not just in state charges, but also federal charges.

Comment

Thanks TG.

It’s good to know.
                        I saw a nice axis buck few years back. I saw thinking about killing it, if I saw it again.
                        Off course, I didn’t happen.

Comment

Two more weeks. Anyone else ready?

Comment

Originally posted by justindfw View Post
                            Two more weeks. Anyone else ready?

So ready. Can’t go by fast enough

Comment

Started shooting my broadheads Saturday. All looks good at 20. Need to shoot a few at 30, 40 and 50 and will be ready. Pulling the saddle and stix out to make sure I still fit in em.

Comment

Heck yeah man, Cant wait!

Comment

Working...
                                X