• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
    lol.

Male, female, nothing else matters?

I guess we have to pick entirely on color

We haven't owned a blue one in years, so the tri one gets their bowl filled with me.

Honestly, I care way more about what the parents "do" than I care about the sex or the color.

After that, I don't much care for male dogs, even fixed ones.

I definitely prefer female dogs over males too for hunting and tracking.

Also, I didn’t pick based on color.

Last edited by AntlerCollector; 06-10-2023, 03:57 AM.

Comment

I have a pretty small lacy male. He was 36lbs at the vet last week.
      He is the quickest most agile dog I’ve ever had. Just pick one and don’t worry about the size, they will hold their own. Be ready for a rodeo, they are not your regular dog….lol
      Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
        lol.

Male, female, nothing else matters?

I guess we have to pick entirely on color

We haven't owned a blue one in years, so the tri one gets their bowl filled with me.

Honestly, I care way more about what the parents "do" than I care about the sex or the color.

After that, I don't much care for male dogs, even fixed ones.
        You guys are one of the reasons we chose a Lacy after seeing a couple of Courtney’s videos. I too prefer Females over Males. For our needs, females socialize better, don’t have to mark everything which means less distraction when performing a task and seem to have a better disposition…….like the Human ones 👍

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          The one on the left.

Congrats on getting a Lacy. I’ve loved mine. They can be excellent trackers and bay dogs.
          Originally posted by Seay View Post
          Not sure why… maybe she looks more “gritty” but that was my very quick first pick.

Currently have my 7 year old male red lacy with a dang good nose piled up on the couch with me. My wife’s 15 year old female tri lacy (useless pet) somewhere looking for crumbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This right here!

The one thing I'd hope for is after they're a couple years old, the lacy would become more like the lab's disposition rather than the lab becoming more like the lacy!

Comment

I always let the dog do the picking. Whichever one comes to me first to greet or check me out goes home with me. Boldness in a dog is better IMO

Comment

The female that doesn’t lick the 9volt battery twice

Comment

Whichever one isn’t male.

Comment

I pick the left one.

Comment

put meat on the ground and see which one puts its nose to the ground to go get it!

Comment

I’ve had two and current male is 11 years old. I’ll be the odd man out and say uncut male. If you’re tracking with just one dog. Yes they’re hard headed to start, fight other males, pee on stuff but if you want a serious tracker year 2 or 3 if you track a lot, it’s worth the hassle. Current male dimmit is right at 50lbs and is solid. Grit and drive to almost the point of death a few times. I’m sure a female is a great choice for some but the stamina and drive Ive seen in comparison to female dogs i have tracked with is where I justify the pain an uncut male can bring. Also I run him solo or with my female lacy. Others I have paired him with were also female in the past. So that eliminates a lot of tracking partners with males.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenJ View Post
                        I’ve had two and current male is 11 years old. I’ll be the odd man out and say uncut male. If you’re tracking with just one dog. Yes they’re hard headed to start, fight other males, pee on stuff but if you want a serious tracker year 2 or 3 if you track a lot, it’s worth the hassle. Current male dimmit is right at 50lbs and is solid. Grit and drive to almost the point of death a few times. I’m sure a female is a great choice for some but the stamina and drive Ive seen in comparison to female dogs i have tracked with is where I justify the pain an uncut male can bring. Also I run him solo or with my female lacy. Others I have paired him with were also female in the past. So that eliminates a lot of tracking partners with males.
                        Total agreement.

My male is 2.5 years old and uncut.
                        He’s a tracking machine. He has great temperament and not hard headed like females can be. I sent him to dog daycare twice a week for almost two years, he’s very socialized and isn’t aggressive to people or pets. He’s the best dog I’ve ever had, can’t see me ever owning anything else.
                        As far as the peeing goes, tires on trucks and trailers are off limits.
                        He was pretty easy to train for that.

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenJ View Post
                          Yes they’re hard headed to start.
                          Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
                          He has great temperament and not hard headed like females can be.

Apparently they are hard headed male or female

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                            Apparently they are hard headed male or female
                            Hard headed is fine,

gritty is great,

humping me is unforgivable.

Comment

Any decision made yet?

Comment

Put them all out on the floor and watch them interact. Then separate them and one by one take them somewhere new to them and watch their comfort/confidence levels. See if they will eat or play in the new area alone. I’d pick the one that was the most curious and confident over physical appearance.

Comment

Working...
                                X