Best way to get more speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to get more speed

Would like to get 7 to 10 fps faster. Of the two methods, which is "best" and why:

1. Lighter arrows closer to 8gpp from current 8.9 gpp.
    2. Reduce D97 string strands from current 16 strands down to 12 strands.

Either might be noisier, but I'm just wanting to try.

Put the factors into the 3Rivers calculator and see what it says.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

I don’t know that either way is better than the other. I’m also not sure going to 12 strands on the string will give you 10gpp???

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

What are you shooting for fletching? Maybe shorter in length or height?

Comment

You shot dang well at Chester, those cobra curves were flinging them arrows pretty quick. I’m curious what speed your currently at?

Comment

String, but D97 is not a good material for low/lower strand count.

Look at a material like BCY Mercury II at 12 strands. It is very similar to Brownell's Rhino material. You'll like it.

I don't know what bow, and draw weight you are shooting, but 10 fps is going to be a stretch. You might get the 7 with just a string change though. The 10 will likely take a combination of string, and arrow weight reduction to achieve it.

Rick

Comment

There are no guarantees to performance boost with strings.

Some get it, some don't, and some get a lot.

Here's an example of "A Lot".

Same bow. Same arrows. Different strings.

The only problem with that much boost is - I'm now shooting arrows that are WAY to weak in dynamic spine, but I'll solve that with some good footing on the business end.

Rick
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                Put the factors into the 3Rivers calculator and see what it says.

The 3R calculator makes it a virtual tie between the two methods. About a 5 to 6 fps gain for either one. As Rick noted, it would take changing both to get 10 fps.

Going just the "lighter" arrow route is more expensive to buy new shafts. Reduding the point from 125 to 100 gr. would do it, but I loose FOC. The flethces are already only 3 x 3" so not much can done there.

No idea what the current set up is on FPS. Just curious and playing around. I may chrono the set up this weekend and see what's what. Dropping 25 gr of point wieght gets my current arrow to 8.1 gpp and according to 3Rivers would yield 7 fps more speed. And likely some noise to go with it!!

My misteps at Chester were "form" related, not speed related. So this little exercise isn't going to help my score.

Comment

Sounds like a reason to buy another bow, to me.

Comment

FOC is overrated. But so is speed! I changed to lighter arrows to fix my tune after a form change this spring. Now I’m 3-4” high at twenty unless I train my brain to a new “zero” (I shoot gaps like a rifle, with a home base at twenty that is my natural aim point).

Comment

Speed may be overated on game but a flatter trajectory trumps a little extra noise on the 3D course.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                        FOC is overrated. But so is speed! I changed to lighter arrows to fix my tune after a form change this spring. Now I’m 3-4” high at twenty unless I train my brain to a new “zero” (I shoot gaps like a rifle, with a home base at twenty that is my natural aim point).
                        I couldn’t agree more Malachi. I’m getting perfect arrow flight with approximately 500 grain arrows out of 50# bows and getting pass thoughs on most anything.
                        I’ll take that over speed or extreme FOC any day. I’m no expert, just my observations.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyJack1975 View Post
                          I couldn’t agree more Malachi. I’m getting perfect arrow flight with approximately 500 grain arrows out of 50# bows and getting pass thoughs on most anything.

I’ll take that over speed or extreme FOC any day. I’m no expert, just my observations.
                          Again, big difference between hunting and targets. Targets you don't need a pass through. Just needs to stick in.
                          Now if you're shooting a kids weight bow like I am, sometimes they bounce off.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                            Sounds like a reason to buy another bow, to me.
                            Great minds think alike!

And the heads the hold them are often knotted by their wives.

Comment

I dug out some 600 spines that come close to the 3Rivers Calulator theorectical arrow that should work. 8.1 gpp.

They scooty scoot down range pretty darn quick! And still dead silent. Them Cobra Curves are impressive for their "noise level" if nothing else.

Have to drag out the chorono this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X