No announcement yet.

Dinner tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chefs will tell you to only use wine in cooking that you would also drink. Bull ****. Harsh alcohol cooks so much better. Cheap full bodied beer for brats, months old wine in the fridge for sauces, cheap af bourbon for glazes. Anything being cooked down imo should be strong tasting alcohols as they provide so much more flavor.

Cognac however…… cant soak a dessert in crap. Pony up on the cognac lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
      Chefs will tell you to only use wine in cooking that you would also drink. Bull ****. Harsh alcohol cooks so much better. Cheap full bodied beer for brats, months old wine in the fridge for sauces, cheap af bourbon for glazes. Anything being cooked down imo should be strong tasting alcohols as they provide so much more flavor.

Cognac however…… cant soak a dessert in crap. Pony up on the cognac lol.

I have discovered the same thing quite by accident.

Every bottle of wine I opened and did not like went into a pan for deglazing or a sauce for flavor. Even more, I keep boxed wine—one red, one white—in my ice box at all times, simply for cooking. I wouldn’t want to drink them but they’re handy and available when I need only a small quantity at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

[QUOTE=ThisLadyHunts;16752185]Honestly? I use boxed wine to cook with. i keep a box of Cabernet Sauvignon (red) and a box of Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay (white). I do this because I don’t drink a lot of wine so it makes no sense for me to open a whole bottle when I only need, say, 1/4 cup.

I do, however, cook with wine quite a bit. I add it to almost everything I make that is either a soup, a stew, or a sauce. (With two exceptions: I use brandy in all my cream sauces and Mexican beer in my chili). I especially like to use it if a recipe calls for deglazing the pan. I buy the wine in a box because the boxes have an airtight bladder that keeps the wine from going bad as I use it over time.

I encourage you to give it a try. I have found that even a small amount of wine can elevate a dish from good to great.

This. And a chef friend told me once, "Never cook with a wine you wouldn't also enjoy drinking."

Comment

Yummy

Comment

Working...
          X