AC gurus, need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC gurus, need help

I had a complete system put in exactly 2 yrs ago. Today it stopped cooling, sounded like the compressor wouldn't kick on. My ac guys comes out and adds a hard start to the compressor. Is this just a bandaid on a compressor problem? He also told my wife that our air filter was weaved to tight and was restricting air flow, it was your mid level filtrete filter sold everywhere. We also had the vent shut in a room because it gets so cold in that room, he said that would also hurt the performance of my ac. What says the green screen?

Anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
      Anyone?
      I know that closing a vent won't hurt ur unit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Are “my ac guys” same folks that did the replacement system 2 years ago?

Comment

Sounds like start up capacitor went out?

Comment

It’s in the wiring diagram of most single-stage residential units to have a hard start kit installed. The real question is why it wasn’t put in to begin with.

That being said, if your run capacitor is good and wouldn’t start the compressor and they put in a hard start kit to get it going, there is a good chance that compressor damage occurred and it will fail rather quickly.
            It is hard to know the situation without all the facts. What I just said may or may not apply. But everything is a bandaid to a compressor problem, until you replace the compressor, as compressors themselves aren’t serviceable.

If you are having static pressure issues, installing a junky filter isn’t the right solution. Is your filter in a grille, or in a filter base at the unit? General rule is 2cfm/sq inch of filter. 400 cfm per ton. So a 4 ton system needs 800 sq inches of filter, a 5 ton 1000sq in, and so on.
            Smaller than this means the unit will struggle to pull air through, which can cause a ton of issues, including compressor damage.

Closing a vent for comfort isn’t usually all that terrible. Just don’t close a whole bunch of them.

The number one thing to remember about ac systems is they want to breathe. They need to be able to move air easily and without restriction. When restrictions are put in place, that’s when bad stuff starts to happen.

Comment

A capacitor is very easy to check. I see a lot of them that are reading half of what they should read. I change it and it solves the problem. A home ac only has a start capacitor and not a run. I would test it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                Are “my ac guys” same folks that did the replacement system 2 years ago?
                It is the same guys

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                  It’s in the wiring diagram of most single-stage residential units to have a hard start kit installed. The real question is why it wasn’t put in to begin with.

That being said, if your run capacitor is good and wouldn’t start the compressor and they put in a hard start kit to get it going, there is a good chance that compressor damage occurred and it will fail rather quickly.
                  It is hard to know the situation without all the facts. What I just said may or may not apply. But everything is a bandaid to a compressor problem, until you replace the compressor, as compressors themselves aren’t serviceable.

If you are having static pressure issues, installing a junky filter isn’t the right solution. Is your filter in a grille, or in a filter base at the unit? General rule is 2cfm/sq inch of filter. 400 cfm per ton. So a 4 ton system needs 800 sq inches of filter, a 5 ton 1000sq in, and so on.
                  Smaller than this means the unit will struggle to pull air through, which can cause a ton of issues, including compressor damage.

Closing a vent for comfort isn’t usually all that terrible. Just don’t close a whole bunch of them.

The number one thing to remember about ac systems is they want to breathe. They need to be able to move air easily and without restriction. When restrictions are put in place, that’s when bad stuff starts to happen.
                  He said the model we bought just didn't come with a hard start. Our filter is in the ceiling so grill type I guess, it's a 20x30 and we only have one intake. Looks like we are short on that.

Comment

Was gone all weekend and when I got home my house was 89 degrees. Fan was blowing but hot air. Compressor was not kicking in. Pulled the shields off outside unit and found a burnt up capacitor and wire from contactor to capacitor was burnt. Replaced capacitor and ran a new wire. Good to go for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
                      I know that closing a vent won't hurt ur unit

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
                      It's better to throttle at the air plenum if you have a damper up there. Closing a ceiling vent pressurizes your duct work and may cause you to lose cold air into the attic. But, it won't hurt your AC otherwise. I can't help on the hard start.

Comment

There are several reasons for adding a start kit, ranging from mechanical issues to low voltage.
                        Don't sweat about adding one. A start kit will start the compressor faster, which is less stress on the motor. And as already stated, start assists are an accessory, and mostly the reason most mfg's don't have one already there is cost. 1" pleated air filters are too restrictive for residential fan systems. I know, everyone has one, but if you look into filter specs determine the max cfm for that filter and compare with what your system requires (350 to 450 cfm per ton), you will find this is true. What size a/c system do you have? I am retired now, but I installed a high performance filter on every system I changed out.
                        Closing a single room off shouldn't harm anything unless your duct system is already marginal. Hint: your contractor should have assessed your duct system when he changed out the equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                          There are several reasons for adding a start kit, ranging from mechanical issues to low voltage.
                          Don't sweat about adding one. A start kit will start the compressor faster, which is less stress on the motor. And as already stated, start assists are an accessory, and mostly the reason most mfg's don't have one already there is cost. 1" pleated air filters are too restrictive for residential fan systems. I know, everyone has one, but if you look into filter specs determine the max cfm for that filter and compare with what your system requires (350 to 450 cfm per ton), you will find this is true. What size a/c system do you have? I am retired now, but I installed a high performance filter on every system I changed out.
                          Closing a single room off shouldn't harm anything unless your duct system is already marginal. Hint: your contractor should have assessed your duct system when he changed out the equipment.

These are the filters my guy suggested. He said those 1 inch wal-mart filters are basically useless.

Comment

I like that, here is their website. I couldn't open up the spec sheet on the 20x24 size, you might try it later. Looks like it will work great in some filter grilles. If it is truly a merv11, and your filter grille is deep enough I would try them. Too bad they wont slide into most slotted filter racks.

Environet,A+2000,Practical Pleat,Pleated Filters,HEPA,Air Intake Filer,Dust Collection,Bag Filters,Poly Pad Refill,Washable Filter,Pads and Frame,AirGorilla,Electrostatic Filter,V Cell,Ring Panel

Pricy at $120 for two. Honeywell and compatible are lots cheaper if you have the rack for them.
                            Last edited by double bogey; 06-08-2020, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                              I like that, here is their website. I couldn't open up the spec sheet on the 20x24 size, you might try it later. Looks like it will work great in some filter grilles. If it is truly a merv11, and your filter grille is deep enough I would try them. Too bad they wont slide into most slotted filter racks.

Environet,A+2000,Practical Pleat,Pleated Filters,HEPA,Air Intake Filer,Dust Collection,Bag Filters,Poly Pad Refill,Washable Filter,Pads and Frame,AirGorilla,Electrostatic Filter,V Cell,Ring Panel

Pricy at $120 for two. Honeywell and compatible are lots cheaper if you have the rack for them.
                              Hmmmm, I work for Honeywell. Should be able to get a discount. I'll have to look for them. My guy also said they will last between 6mos to a year depending on what you do in your house. He said no candles and no smokey cooking for a household of two it should last a year.
                              Last edited by Duckologist; 06-08-2020, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X