Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trapping deer at Land’s End golf course on Lake Fork.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rocky View Post
    Supposedly feeding convicts. Do convicts deserve venison?
    We're supporting them no matter what they eat. Why is this such a big deal to you ? Not being smart, just trying to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
      We're supporting them no matter what they eat. Why is this such a big deal to you ? Not being smart, just trying to understand.
      The way I look at it, is that these deer are just as much mine as they are the landowners in Land’s End.

Comment

The way I look at it, is that these deer are just as much mine as they are the landowners in Land’s End.
        Ok.

Comment

Well your argument that there is no overpopulation and then saying you have recommended a bowhunting program in this neighborhood to control population? Just say it- your are upset that the deer are not being controlled by hunting and are being trapped. Yea I get it. You see hunting opportunity. Just think of the liability on 2 acre lots with children and broad heads flying. Id trap them too.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
            Well your argument that there is no overpopulation and then saying you have recommended a bowhunting program in this neighborhood to control population? Just say it- your are upset that the deer are not being controlled by hunting and are being trapped. Yea I get it. You see hunting opportunity. Just think of the liability on 2 acre lots with children and broad heads flying. Id trap them too.
            What you’ve missed. 8-9 years ago, when this issue first surfaced, the then president of the HOA came to me and asked if I could implement a program to harvest 12-15 deer from the subdivision. At that time, HOA rules did not allow the discharge of firearms. I recruited women from the archery shop to have an opportunity at bowkilling these deer. Shot down by TPWD biologist. Landowners combined property to create MLD level 1 and shot 30-35 deer for 3 years with rifles. New TPWD regulations prevent this subdivision from qualifying for MLD. Now, they hire trapper with company biologist that coordinates with TPWD biologist to backdoor MLD and trap and kill deer in subdivision affecting surrounding landowners. Why do we not have a say in this matter?

Comment

They have the same issue at Holly Lake Ranch golf course. They were allowing a small group of bowhunters to shoot as many as they could. It was working out really well, not sure if they are still doing it. Rocky, you may want to get some info on that to counter with.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                Again, I said there was no malnourished or deformed deer that the president of the HOA mentioned in the interview on KLTV.

Comment

I can understand why he's pi*sed. It will directly affect deer numbers on his own property

Comment

I lived in Austin years ago & I faintly remember something similar like this that took place. The best of my memory, the deer were processed & sent to the homeless shelters in the city. If that's what they're going to do with these deer I think that's a good thing. Now If we could only see these measures being taken on the wild hog population these shelters would have enough food to feed a lot of homeless folks.

Comment

KLTV is based out of Tyler. Can't see how/why they are involved with Fork.

Comment

Would love for them to release the deer on my place which is 30 miles east of Lake Fork.

Comment

Sun City here close to Georgetown spends over $50,000 a year to trap and move up to 200 deer a year. The trapper says they lose half to stress every time. The half that dies are processed, the half that lives are relocated. I tried back in the nineties to form a bow hunting program so they could get rid of the deer and make a little money instead of spending money. They wouldn't do it because they didn't want the deer to get killed.

They did it in Fountain Wood sub-division where Bisch used to live and it worked great and still does. I think Bisch killed 9 one year.

Comment

I wish to heck I could remember the name of the subdivision near San Antonio that did this back in the 90's. A trapper was called in to relocate the deer that were just all over the place down there. The retired folks that lived there were hand feeding some big un's and all was well until two things happened. 1) Several folks were attacked by the deer getting to the corn bucket or when the home owners tried to "shoo" them out of their gardens, I guess they just lost their fear of people. 2) A few guys were caught using bows to take deer out of their back yards.

In some instances trapping and relocating makes sense.

Richard

Comment

Originally posted by Bear Charge View Post
                              KLTV is based out of Tyler. Can't see how/why they are involved with Fork.
                              Lake Fork is East Tx. KLTV covers a lot of East Tx stories. I had them on my place in Athens 6 yrs ago and I'm a good hour from their station. No different than Dallas stations driving 1-2 hrs west to get something for news coverage.

Lands End is just a quick 45 min drive North from KLTV headquarters.
                              Last edited by Antlers86; 01-08-2019, 11:37 PM.

Comment

It’s about to get ugly. KLTV just contacted me. I’m not known for my political correctness.

Good luck! The fact that you helped with a solution encouraging female bow hunters and then got shot down by TPWD is very frustrating. What was the reasoning on their side? There is plenty of places out there to allow safe hunting. Do it during the weekdays while kids are in school and most folks are out working. Surely there are some folks living within the HOA that are hunters. Wonder what their opinion is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X