No announcement yet.

Fact or Myth or What

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Hoyt CRX35 was dry fired by a guy I work with, blew string up and bent the upper axle, luckly he was a good enough guy to pay for damages.

Comment

Here ya go
      Texas Bowhunter Journal and Korbin's Strings team up for this issue's tech tip.The bow being dry fired is a 2012 PSE Brute X. The only damage was the tube fr...

Comment

Good info.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
          I've seen...
          A PSE (FireFlight Express) break at the arrow shelf
          Two Bear bows with bent cams and bent axles and blown string
          A Hoyt blow the strings off
          A Bowtech that blew the string off and broke the upper limb
          A Mathews (MQ 32) that bent the axle (this one was mine)
          I also had a PSE explode on me (Spirit?) but it was loaded when I shot; all I had left in my hand was the grip, never did find that arrow.
          No wonder Wildman looked at like i was crazy when i handed you the hand carved spoon. Your good at breaking stuff

Comment

Accidently dry fired a PSE and it just destroyed the string and did a little damage to one of the wheels. I still have the bow and it works fine.

Comment

Haven't dry fired but called a manufacturer asking that question and they said it isn't an issue. I think the first generation bows with laminated wood limbs would have an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirtymike View Post
                No wonder Wildman looked at like i was crazy when i handed you the hand carved spoon. Your good at breaking stuff
                I resemble that remark... Actually only two of these were mine and only one was a dry fire (My FireFlight Express) that was due to a broken nock, that I didn't know was broken, when I dumped the string.

The other was the Spirit (I loved my PSE bows back in the day); I still have no idea what happened to that thing, it just exploded for no reason.

But yea, stuff tends to spontaneously destruct around me!

Comment

dry fired my hoyt spyder 30 3 months after I had bought it. Haha. .it shredded the string, and i lost the peep site, and am pretty sure it threw the cam timing off cause it was back in the shop a month later when I noticed. But other than that everything was good. Might be rubbing the limbs with a cotton ball later though. .haha

as for half draw, I don't know. All I can say is be ready to pay for it

Comment

Originally posted by CaseyDank View Post
                    dry fired my hoyt spyder 30 3 months after I had bought it. Haha. .it shredded the string, and i lost the peep site, and am pretty sure it threw the cam timing off cause it was back in the shop a month later when I noticed. But other than that everything was good. Might be rubbing the limbs with a cotton ball later though. .haha

as for half draw, I don't know. All I can say is be ready to pay for it
                    Do it! Takes less than a minute to do and could possibly save you a big surprise followed by some serious pain!

Comment

If my wife asked me that question, I'd be inspecting my bow.

Comment

Don't have to check bow she's bigtime blackpowder, round ball old school.

Comment

I unknowingly shot an arrow with a cracked nock. When I shot, it sounded horrible. The nock split in half, and the arrow went down range at maybe half speed. The string jumped off the cam of my Mathews. I was fortunate that there was no damage to me or the bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Brack View Post
                            I unknowingly shot an arrow with a cracked nock. When I shot, it sounded horrible. The nock split in half, and the arrow went down range at maybe half speed. The string jumped off the cam of my Mathews. I was fortunate that there was no damage to me or the bow.
                            Happened to me last week--funny sound, arrow appeared to fly normally to the target, and I noticed something bouncing on the driveway in front of me. Walked over and picked it up and it was the dampener out of the upper string stop arm (DXT). Got to the target, and one arrow was missing a nock. Later found half of the nock on the driveway as well. No discernible damage to the bow however.

Comment

Working...
                            X