No announcement yet.

Brazos Bend State Park Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tilden the same thing happened to me this past weekend. I shot a doe at 225 yards and she dropped in her tracks. She started trying to get up so I’ll walked down to finish her off and when I got about 100 yards away she got up and took off. I searched for about three hours over two days and never found that deer. For a deer to go down like that and then get up and run off I have to think I hit above the spine and she was just stunned. It sucks bad. Hopefully they both make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
      Tilden the same thing happened to me this past weekend. I shot a doe at 225 yards and she dropped in her tracks. She started trying to get up so I’ll walked down to finish her off and when I got about 100 yards away she got up and took off. I searched for about three hours over two days and never found that deer. For a deer to go down like that and then get up and run off I have to think I hit above the spine and she was just stunned. It sucks bad. Hopefully they both make it.
      I had the same thing happen last year on a doe, she hit the ground like a ton of bricks then after a min or two started kicking and finally got her feet under her and was gone. I looked till dark and the next two days also. She showed back up 2 weeks later, I hit her high. I imagine the buck will be fine.

Comment

Sorry that happened to ya. Was a great hunt to follow and I appreciate you letting us follow along.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice Buck my buddy Kai shoot a 12 point that scored 146

Comment

IF you hit his Antlers it will cause that type of scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by pyrobow View Post
              IF you hit his Antlers it will cause that type of scenario.

That is a good point and I thought about that. There is just no way it happened on this shot. I was aiming high shoulder and if my 7 mm 08 would of hit his thin rack at that distance his head gear would of been destroyed. Think the above spine is what happened. With him dogging that doe with head down I think I just hit him 6” high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well still sounds like a good hunt regardless of the last part. I had this same kind of thing happen once with a doe. I shot into the base of the neck and the deer layed flat out on the ground then jumped up and ran.

Waited a while and walked down you could see the outline of where the deer was layed out flat on the ground but no sign of blood, fur or anything else. WE looked around a bit and gave up. We went back to the blind to wait for pick up and when my friend arrived to pick us up he wanted to look again. We were looking all through the brush and finally my wife found her just on the back side of a cactus.

While cleaning the deer I realized I had shot the deer in the base of the neck and the bullet lodged in the front shoulder separating the shoulder joint. There was no blood anywhere. It was a smaller caliber rifle I am pretty certain a larger round would have kept her down, the bullet never exited.

Comment

Thanks for catching us up on the hunt. It happens and nothing to be ashamed of. Im glad you had a great experience out there. It is a cool place to hunt for sure.

Comment

That is super exciting! Thanks for the tag along!

Comment

Working...
                    X