Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 01-10-2019, 08:12 PM   #1
ladrones
Pope & Young

Default Non-refundable License fee for lottery draw.

Been reading where the NM game and fish is making you purchase a non-refundable hunting license along with an application fee that was already non-refundable.

They sure keep on bumping the cost to apply for lottery draws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 08:14 PM   #2
TexasCanesFan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SW of Dallas

Not the only western state that does it that way. Should make odds slightly better I would think.
TexasCanesFan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 08:29 PM   #3
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Just about to convince me that that land I help pay for is not worth trying to hunt.
**** NM was a great place to hunt when I could actually draw a tag.
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 09:10 PM   #4
WTJim
Ten Point

They should do that in Texas
WTJim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 09:29 PM   #5
easeup
Ten Point

so does that make the app fee to be $65 + habitat stamp , and none of which is returned to you should you not draw on less than a nominal 1% odds for non residents?
easeup is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 09:45 PM   #6
Raypo
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

NM has great potential but they sure do push out nonresidents.
Raypo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-10-2019, 09:47 PM   #7
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Val Verde Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTJim View Post
They should do that in Texas
Yep, NM hasn't seen a dime from me in since they changed the non-resident quota for tags that doesn't require you to hire a guide to 8%. Add on top of that a less than 1% chance at getting drawn they might as just only let NM residents apply for the draw and block everyone else out, but thats probably not legal. I can promise you all NM is getting from all this is more out of state poachers.

Last edited by bossbowman; 01-10-2019 at 09:52 PM.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 05:47 AM   #8
Passthrough
Pope & Young

AZ been that way for years
Passthrough is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 09:15 AM   #9
Bisch
Pope & Young

Kansas made me buy a $95 hunting license last year when I applied for a deer tag. When I did not get drawn, they refunded the price of the deer tag and kept the $95!

Total money grab ripoff!!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #10
robie
Four Point

I wish Texas would do something to generate more revenue from non-residents.

Instead of our lottery hunts being $3 for non-residents charge them $30 and the big horn hunts and Texas slam type hunts be resident only or $50 for non-residents to apply.

I've accepted that every state I apply in is going to make most of their revenue off of non-residents I just wish Texas would step up and join the game.
robie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 09:43 AM   #11
Tx_Wader
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jackson County and Utopia

If I could still walk into a drive in grocery store in NM and buy a non resident license with mule deer tag for $146.00 like we used to I'd still be hunting in NM.

I agree with robie though...Texas needs to charge more for the out of state folks.
Tx_Wader is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:07 AM   #12
DWV015
Four Point

Hunt In: Dryden TX - San Angelo TX - New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossbowman View Post
Yep, NM hasn't seen a dime from me in since they changed the non-resident quota for tags that doesn't require you to hire a guide to 8%. Add on top of that a less than 1% chance at getting drawn they might as just only let NM residents apply for the draw and block everyone else out, but thats probably not legal. I can promise you all NM is getting from all this is more out of state poachers.

It's actually only 6% of the tag allotment that goes to non-residents. And to top it all off they split the archery season up into two separate seasons, one in September and one for the January rut hunt, cutting the opportunities to hunt in January by 60% or something like that............very frustrating. A couple of units that I've hunted in the past are now down to only allowing 3 & 6 non-resident deer tags for January. Something I used to just plan on (and dream all year about) doing every January is now just a pipe dream.
On a side note, NM also banned coyote hunting competitions on all state trust lands earlier this week
DWV015 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #13
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

State game agencies need all the cash they can get, if you truly can't afford that tiny little extra then you likely aren't going to be hunting in the first place.
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:27 AM   #14
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Out of state hunting is just gonna get worse. The thing that makes it so bad IMO, is that lots of folks, maybe even most, are hunting Federal land. Land that we all own, but the state gets to charge these prices plus hold the non-resident hostage for services he's never gonna benefit from. A small service fee would be reasonable, but holding the whole fee isn't right. I culled my out of state hunting back to just Wyoming several years ago, but things are changing slowly there too.
Drycreek3189 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #15
KoonceCrushed
Four Point

Hunt In: Virginia, Maryland, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx_Wader View Post
If I could still walk into a drive in grocery store in NM and buy a non resident license with mule deer tag for $146.00 like we used to I'd still be hunting in NM.

I agree with robie though...Texas needs to charge more for the out of state folks.
I paid $400 for a non-resident hunting license to hunt deer. It's a total monty grab.
KoonceCrushed is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #16
tminc
Eight Point

Hunt In: burnet county,mexico

After not getting drawn for 3 years, and then they changed the tag allotment for non residents, was all i could stand. Besides Old Mexico is wonderful and alot cheaper!
tminc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #17
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Ive read they changed some rules again this year. This was related to Antelope but the last 2 times I checked the site they hadn't update for 19-20 seasons
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #18
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tx. / Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthrough View Post
AZ been that way for years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
Kansas made me buy a $95 hunting license last year when I applied for a deer tag. When I did not get drawn, they refunded the price of the deer tag and kept the $95!

Total money grab ripoff!!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The Difference is You received points Then, NM will Be a Total Donation for Most
Mex. Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #19
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Ive read they changed some rules again this year. This was related to Antelope but the last 2 times I checked the site they hadn't update for 19-20 seasons
Its Updated. Click on Last Years Hunting Rules and The Current Year will Pop Up. Just not Posted on the Home Page Yet
Old 01-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #20
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
Out of state hunting is just gonna get worse. The thing that makes it so bad IMO, is that lots of folks, maybe even most, are hunting Federal land. Land that we all own, but the state gets to charge these prices plus hold the non-resident hostage for services he's never gonna benefit from. A small service fee would be reasonable, but holding the whole fee isn't right. I culled my out of state hunting back to just Wyoming several years ago, but things are changing slowly there too.
Feds own the land but the state owns the animals on it, its the same way in every state. You can go hang out on the federal land all you want, it belongs to you but you gotta pay the state for the critters.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #21
simek
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspradley View Post
State game agencies need all the cash they can get, if you truly can't afford that tiny little extra then you likely aren't going to be hunting in the first place.
Truth.
simek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #22
bossbowman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bosque Grayson Hill McLennan Navarro Val Verde Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWV015 View Post
It's actually only 6% of the tag allotment that goes to non-residents. And to top it all off they split the archery season up into two separate seasons, one in September and one for the January rut hunt, cutting the opportunities to hunt in January by 60% or something like that............very frustrating. A couple of units that I've hunted in the past are now down to only allowing 3 & 6 non-resident deer tags for January. Something I used to just plan on (and dream all year about) doing every January is now just a pipe dream.
On a side note, NM also banned coyote hunting competitions on all state trust lands earlier this week
I forget, I stopped looking at it since the change in like 2012...

from NMDNR, looks like they've now also added residents into the 10% outfitter pool, SMDH
84% of draw licenses go to new mexico residents
10% to residents or nonresidents who've contracted with an outfitter
6% to nonresidents who have not contracted with an outfitter

Last edited by bossbowman; 01-11-2019 at 11:11 AM.
bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 11:10 AM   #23
rlk123
Eight Point

Hunt In: Eastland, fburg

Raising fees on residents will get you kicked out of office. That's why state politicians continue to raise non-res rates across the west. We as non-residents don't have a vote, Residents do...
Hard to compare this fee to other states such as AZ or ID, they have various forms of OTC deer and elk seasons you can use that non refundable license on if you don't draw.
rlk123 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 11:12 AM   #24
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
So, your suggesting that a guy like me who will not use an outfitter, that has less than a fair chance at a draw should just be happy year after year to send NM money as basically a donation?
Old 01-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #25
ladrones
Pope & Young

Default Non-refundable License fee for lottery draw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWV015 View Post

Thatís a little misleading. The new ultra progressive Soroís backed state land commissioner wanted to wag her finger at gun owners, hunters etc. so she pulled that executive order.

No competitions have been held on state trust lands. Itís already difficult to hunt state trust lands. So really she did nothing other than hey look at me and **** most hunters and sportsmen off.

Last edited by ladrones; 01-11-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #26
robie
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
The Difference is You received points Then, NM will Be a Total Donation for Most
Its a donation but we all have the same odds (NM & ID). Pref point states like CO for ELK or WY for sheep/moose you can guarantee that if you didn't get in on the ground floor you will never hunt CO top units (2, 201) or sheep/moose in WY.

They will at some point switch to what AZ is doing. I apply in 10 states out west and don't give money for pure preference points like WY Sheep where I have 0% chance of drawing in my lifetime, they are missing out on revenue from many people.

In NM I have a shot every year, the odds are terrible but I still have a chance and make my donation. AZ made the switch by giving half the non-resident tags to max points holder and half are random. Keeps the guys with points still playing and the rest of us have a shot.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:24 AM   #27
ladrones
Pope & Young

Quote:

If they needed extra revenue they should have placed the whole burden on the guide/outfitter 12% guide pool as well as the landowner tag purchases. More money to squeeze from.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #28
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA

When I first started hunting NM, an out of state license for muleys was $15. It went to $31 one year and I thought we were getting ripped off. I quit hunting that state when the tag went to $146.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 01:37 PM   #29
camoclad
Six Point

Hunt In: central tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by robie View Post
I wish Texas would do something to generate more revenue from non-residents.

Instead of our lottery hunts being $3 for non-residents charge them $30 and the big horn hunts and Texas slam type hunts be resident only or $50 for non-residents to apply.

I've accepted that every state I apply in is going to make most of their revenue off of non-residents I just wish Texas would step up and join the game.
Very true. And then on newmexicobowhunter.com they will be like "Hey man, raisin my fees, they hate out a staters, this merica or not?
camoclad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 01-11-2019, 03:32 PM   #30
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladrones View Post
If they needed extra revenue they should have placed the whole burden on the guide/outfitter 12% guide pool as well as the landowner tag purchases. More money to squeeze from.

Resident tags and licenses should be raised significantly in just about all states. TX included
Old 01-11-2019, 03:34 PM   #31
Jspradley
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
So, your suggesting that a guy like me who will not use an outfitter, that has less than a fair chance at a draw should just be happy year after year to send NM money as basically a donation?
All unguided non residents have the same low odds to draw in NM, that's pretty fair.

If that extra little bit of cash is really going to be a deal breaker for anyone then they really need to re-evaluate their finances.

I plan on putting in for the draw this year and yes, it really doesn't bother me in the least to donate to NM wildlife conservation on the off chance I get to hunt something.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:09 PM   #32
Mex. Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
All unguided non residents have the same low odds to draw in NM, that's pretty fair.

If that extra little bit of cash is really going to be a deal breaker for anyone then they really need to re-evaluate their finances.

I plan on putting in for the draw this year and yes, it really doesn't bother me in the least to donate to NM wildlife conservation on the off chance I get to hunt something.
It Adds Up Quick When The Whole Family Puts in.
Old 01-11-2019, 06:13 PM   #33
flywise
Pope & Young

Old 01-11-2019, 06:14 PM   #34
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:

Pure stupidity
Old 01-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #35
robie
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
Pure stupidity
Not helpful.

NM is simply falling in line with every other western state. $65 is cheap compared to their neighbors.

The simple fact is hunting out of state is expensive and won't be getting cheaper going forward.

Texas needs to step up and follow suit. Most states are around a 10x multiplier in non residents. Why should we be any different.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2019, 10:59 AM   #36
basschump
Eight Point

Hunt In: Around TX

The punch in the gut for me was non-resident youth can no longer hunt the Ďencouragementí elk hunt. Previously called youth encouragement hunt- now limited to residents only, youth and 65 and older.

I have friends in NM. They feel raked over by the system too. Residents have a hard time getting this as well. Worse even is a large % of elk tags are allocated for private ranches, some as small as 10 acres- yet can be used on public land.

At least in Colorado you get a fishing license as well. I hate paying for something you canít use.

Deer bow hunters should pay attention to the draw tags. Sept and January seasons are now split. Betting sept tags will be easy to draw.

basschump is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top