Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISO Thompson Center 30-30

I’m looking for a Thompson Center Contender rifle in 30-30
    I know a lot of people here shoot 30-30 so figured I’d see if anyone had one they’d like to let go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are numerous Contender groups on MeWe, there are usually various pieces and barrels for sale. sometimes complete guns. I don't remember ever seeing a complete carbine, with a 30-30 barrel. You will probably have to buy a frame, then stocks, then find a barrel. That or find a carbine you like with some other barrel on it, buy it, then find a 30-30 barrel.

There was a 21" or a 23" 30-30 barrel on Ebay, I checked, it's not there anymore.

I used to see 30-30 barrels all the time, and 7X30 Waters barrels. For quite a while now, they have been scarce. Just recently multiple 30-30 and 7X30 Waters barrels have popped up, most are either 12" or Super 14 barrels. But I have seen both 30-30 and 7X30 Waters carbine barrels, recently.
    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 06-27-2021, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Thank ya much
      I’m not too familiar with them
      I’d like one anywhere from 16-24 somewhere around there I’m going to turn it for a suppressor to shoot coons off my feeders.
      I don’t have a 30-30 and I have several cases of ammo so thought it might be a neat deal to have set up

Comment

At one point, T/C made 21" carbine barrels, at another point, they made 16" carbine barrels, those are highly sought after. I had a few of those, one in 204 Ruger, one in 17 HMR and one in 223. At the same time they were also making 16 pistol barrels, the AFT was on their rear, because of them making 16" carbine and pistol barrels. They finally got tired of the ATF and quit making both the 16" carbine and the 16" pistol barrels. After that T/C only made up to 14" pistol barrels and only 23" carbine barrels.

Then there is Bullberry, MGM and Eabco, who will make you carbine barrels in 16.25" and up, to 24" or 26". If you are going to use a suppressor, it will work better, if you keep the muzzle velocity down, so a shorter barrel is better.

I am actually planning something similar to what you are talking about. I have been trying to talk myself into a night vision scope for a while now, but don't want to pull any scopes off of my existing guns. I have decided to mount a night vision scope on a Contender barrel, then primarily use it for shooting coons. Now that Texas has passed that new suppressor law. I plan on getting one for the Contender barrel, or barrels that I will use for killing coons. I have decided I am going to probably buy two barrels, a 9mm and a 45 ACP. Both will be able to spit bullets out the muzzle with a lot more velocity than a auto loader hand gun, with a 5" barrel. I will get both barrels in 16.25". Then the fact that auto loader hand gun ammo, is loaded to low pressures, to keep the cases from blowing out or bulging near the base. I would be able to load both a 9mm and 45 ACP a good bit hotter than is safe with a auto loader hand gun.

I completely forgot about this, until talking to a buddy of mine about a 45 ACP carbine he just got. Those conversations reminded me, that years ago, there used to be 9mm and 45 ACP submachine gun ammo, that was loaded quite a bit hotter than hand gun ammo. You don't want to ever try shooting submachine gun ammo out of a hand gun. It will usually blow out the base of the case.

So I plan on those two calibers, with both common hand gun powder charges, then some loaded to higher pressures. Then suppressors on both barrels and night vision scopes on both. I think some hot loaded 124 gr. hollow cavity 9mm, out of a 16.25" carbine barreled gun, should be very deadly on coons, pigs, coyotes, ECT. I really wonder what some hot loaded 45 ACP, 200 gr. hollow cavity loads would do out of a 16.25" barrel. That should make for a good close range pig gun.

The 30-30, would be a lot more than you would need for coons, but it will kill them and hogs very easily. Factory 30-30 loads, will be going well into the super sonic speeds. So you will get a bit more noise from that.

Also, if you did not know, S&W just shut down T/C. From what I have read, S&W, plans on using the T/C factory, and tools to build more S&W hand guns. So basically T/C is done, even though S&W claims that T/C is for sale, but they don't have a buyer yet. Someone will have to buy the rights to the name and the patents, then build their own plant to build T/C guns. That likely won't happen.
        Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 06-28-2021, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Yeah I am aware of pressure changes I’ve seen a lot of people when I would come home from overseas they would rathole some ammo from say and MP5 then put it in their pistol when they got home and tear some parts up.

The reason I’m going with 3030 is my feeders are 150+ yards from my blinds so little pistol calibers are already getting stretched before I add that distance on them.
          Like when I was in Syria and Gaza we ran suppressors not to make it quiet just to confuse who we were engaging on exactly where we were. That kind of what I’m doing here
          I have two nightvision scopes and a ton of 3030 ammo so figured I’d use it up shooting night varmints.

I guess I’ll just keep looking around for separate parts lower and upper

Comment

Try Eds Contenders..........www.edstc.com.
            He doesn't maintain the site anymore.You have to call or email him.

DJ

Comment

Just got a Natchez catelog ..They have the G2 contender in 30-30

Comment

Hey man, if you don’t mind spending money just go to

They can hook you up with custom and stainless stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Quanah11 View Post
                  Yeah I am aware of pressure changes I’ve seen a lot of people when I would come home from overseas they would rathole some ammo from say and MP5 then put it in their pistol when they got home and tear some parts up.

The reason I’m going with 3030 is my feeders are 150+ yards from my blinds so little pistol calibers are already getting stretched before I add that distance on them.
                  Like when I was in Syria and Gaza we ran suppressors not to make it quiet just to confuse who we were engaging on exactly where we were. That kind of what I’m doing here
                  I have two nightvision scopes and a ton of 3030 ammo so figured I’d use it up shooting night varmints.

I guess I’ll just keep looking around for separate parts lower and upper

Yea, a 30-30 will work good for that. I don't have the option of having my feeder any farther than about 60 yards from the blind, unless I start cutting oaks down. That why I think a 9mm would make for a BA coon gun, out of my blind. 150 yards with a 9mm would be possible, but pushing it. If you already have a bunch of 30-30 ammo, sounds like the way to go.

I have a 445 Super Mag Contender barrel because I could not sell the brass I bought. I also have something like 400 to 450 22 Jet Mag brass I can't seem to sell. So instead of ordering a 22 Hornet barrel I have wanted for years, I think I may order a 22 Jet Mag barrel. That should also work good for coons.

Comment

Originally posted by Patriot-2000 View Post
                    Just got a Natchez catelog ..They have the G2 contender in 30-30
                    Thank bud I looked sold out already

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                      Yea, a 30-30 will work good for that. I don't have the option of having my feeder any farther than about 60 yards from the blind, unless I start cutting oaks down. That why I think a 9mm would make for a BA coon gun, out of my blind. 150 yards with a 9mm would be possible, but pushing it. If you already have a bunch of 30-30 ammo, sounds like the way to go.

I have a 445 Super Mag Contender barrel because I could not sell the brass I bought. I also have something like 400 to 450 22 Jet Mag brass I can't seem to sell. So instead of ordering a 22 Hornet barrel I have wanted for years, I think I may order a 22 Jet Mag barrel. That should also work good for coons.
                      Yeah it will for sure work good
                      Interesting calibers for sure

Comment

Not cheap but EABCO is a good source for TC Encore and Contender barrels.
                        E. Arthur Brown Company is a master craftsman of signature EABCO Accuracy Barrels for for the Thompson Center Encore Pro Hunter, Contender G2, Savage, Remington 700, Ruger 1022 and AR15. With an expert eye for accuracy, EABCO also retails brands like Volquartsen, MDT, Choate, Revolution, Rifle Basic and many more.

I have ordered a few from them in years past.

Comment

My super 14 30-30 is very accurate at 100yards with my hand loads. Easily shoots moa or better.

Hope you find a good one. If I see a 22 jet I’ll buy it now that I know where I can find some brass.

Comment

For my longer range hunting barrel I got a 14 inch 7-30 Waters shooting 120gr Ballistic Tips it has accounted for deer from 20 yards to 220 yards. Combination works well.

Also have the rifle barrel for it and it sure is a handy gun in the truck or blind.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                              At one point, T/C made 21" carbine barrels, at another point, they made 16" carbine barrels, those are highly sought after. I had a few of those, one in 204 Ruger, one in 17 HMR and one in 223. At the same time they were also making 16 pistol barrels, the AFT was on their rear, because of them making 16" carbine and pistol barrels. They finally got tired of the ATF and quit making both the 16" carbine and the 16" pistol barrels. After that T/C only made up to 14" pistol barrels and only 23" carbine barrels.

Then there is Bullberry, MGM and Eabco, who will make you carbine barrels in 16.25" and up, to 24" or 26". If you are going to use a suppressor, it will work better, if you keep the muzzle velocity down, so a shorter barrel is better.

I am actually planning something similar to what you are talking about. I have been trying to talk myself into a night vision scope for a while now, but don't want to pull any scopes off of my existing guns. I have decided to mount a night vision scope on a Contender barrel, then primarily use it for shooting coons. Now that Texas has passed that new suppressor law. I plan on getting one for the Contender barrel, or barrels that I will use for killing coons. I have decided I am going to probably buy two barrels, a 9mm and a 45 ACP. Both will be able to spit bullets out the muzzle with a lot more velocity than a auto loader hand gun, with a 5" barrel. I will get both barrels in 16.25". Then the fact that auto loader hand gun ammo, is loaded to low pressures, to keep the cases from blowing out or bulging near the base. I would be able to load both a 9mm and 45 ACP a good bit hotter than is safe with a auto loader hand gun.

I completely forgot about this, until talking to a buddy of mine about a 45 ACP carbine he just got. Those conversations reminded me, that years ago, there used to be 9mm and 45 ACP submachine gun ammo, that was loaded quite a bit hotter than hand gun ammo. You don't want to ever try shooting submachine gun ammo out of a hand gun. It will usually blow out the base of the case.

So I plan on those two calibers, with both common hand gun powder charges, then some loaded to higher pressures. Then suppressors on both barrels and night vision scopes on both. I think some hot loaded 124 gr. hollow cavity 9mm, out of a 16.25" carbine barreled gun, should be very deadly on coons, pigs, coyotes, ECT. I really wonder what some hot loaded 45 ACP, 200 gr. hollow cavity loads would do out of a 16.25" barrel. That should make for a good close range pig gun.

The 30-30, would be a lot more than you would need for coons, but it will kill them and hogs very easily. Factory 30-30 loads, will be going well into the super sonic speeds. So you will get a bit more noise from that.

Also, if you did not know, S&W just shut down T/C. From what I have read, S&W, plans on using the T/C factory, and tools to build more S&W hand guns. So basically T/C is done, even though S&W claims that T/C is for sale, but they don't have a buyer yet. Someone will have to buy the rights to the name and the patents, then build their own plant to build T/C guns. That likely won't happen.

Came across this and thought I'd share. Seems to fit the bill for you. Pricey, but turnkey.

Comment

Working...
                              X