No announcement yet.

Anthrax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was out there last weekend putting up stands north of Quanah. They had a Zoom Meeting for local land owners, I personally didn't listen to it but was told they are recommending that no animal parts be taken from the area whether that be from pigs or deer..... hopefully this all passes before hunting season begins. I will say that while I was out there I saw 4-5 does/ fawns that looked fine.

Comment

Anthrax

They’re also recommending no feeding until further notice.
      I drove up on a dead buck carcass this morning on my ATV while riding along 680. Didn’t stop to take a pic. Looked to have been there maybe three days, smelled awful. Very possibly a road kill being that it was only about 5 feet off the road.
      The deer I’m seeing on camera look healthy. The rancher hasn’t seen any dead deer on the property we lease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by psicoo; 08-20-2021, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Heard today it was bad around Ozona.

Comment

Originally posted by hoythunter02 View Post
          The old timers say it's been around forever and is something they have to deal with..

You can call your local feed store and ask what the ranchers are saying in regards to it.

Last time this was brought up and I panicked, made an abrupt trip to the lease in Comstock to see deer everywhere, alive and healthy..never saw buzzards or found a carcass from anywhere I could get around our 4k acres.

It's always been there, I say don't get too alarmed over it but be aware of it...nothing you can do either way. You can feed the medicated protein pellets if your prefer but that wasn't an option for us.

With that said, I heard that some places around us were hit pretty hard and all around Rocksprings. It may not be worth the risk for some folks to even lease in these counties that area always seeing Anthrax.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Hasn’t been reported in these parts for decades. [emoji2377]

Comment

Sheep or cows never question anything…

Comment

Originally posted by psicoo View Post
              Hasn’t been reported in these parts for decades. [emoji2377]

That's great, I thought I remember accessibility to water was something that could prevent it or help the non -development of it in deer....but I don't recall for certain.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

We have a place in central Hardeman, and another just across the river in OK. Just got back from a work weekend up there. So far no issues on the central place. The river place is another story. They were getting ready to burn a cow lost to anthrax and knew of 30 something more lost in the general area very recently. We didn't see or smell any dead deer around the pastures, but have elected to quit feeding until things cool down a little. I hope others in the area will do the same.

Comment

For those saying that the deer don't look bad, or that the deer look healthy, remember that anthrax kills very quickly (sometimes within hours), so quickly that body condition is never affected. You will never see a deer that looks 'bad', even if it has anthrax.

Comment

it can stay dormant for up to 70 years.

Comment

Working...
                    X