Let’s talk 44 mag...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
    post your load data if you can .. i'e got 2 TC's i've been playing with .. one 8" TC and one 16" encore . played with 300's lead and could not get them consistent .. xtp's seem to do ok but hard to find in 300's.. but i'm trying to keep them subs to stay quiet .. i have not found the perfect recipe yet ... i use a 45 cal can on both.

AGM Taipan TM15 Racoon @ 50 yards Warning Graphic content. - YouTube
    I'll post the load when I get home tonight. I use either Win 231 or Unique and it was a very comfortable accurate load. Missouri Bullet Company made the bullets, but I dont see it listed on their website anymore.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by zac221 View Post
      I loaded some 200gr hornady hollow points with h110 in a golden big boy. Chronoed at 1980fps. I have one of the most epic shots on video ever. When played in slow mo you can see bullet flight and impact looks like a doe got hit with a 5 gallon bucket of red water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      That's a smokin' load!

Comment

Originally posted by bubba joe View Post
        funny you mentioned, i loaded some 320 grain this weekend, went with 14.7 grains of No.9, also loaded some 240 grain coated bullets and some 180 grain XTP... hopefully i can shoot them soon

Sexy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Years ago, I started out with IMR 4227, got tired of having large yellow chunks in the cylinder bores and barrel. I switched to H110, that became my 44 Mag. powder. Originally I started off shooting 240 gr. jacketed hollow points, with the 4227, then the H110, then after many years of trying numerous different 240 gr. jacketed bullets, I switched to 180 gr. jacketed hollow points, to get more expansion. Penetration was never a issue, but with my 7 1/2" barreled Super Blackhawk, I did not always get good expansion. The 180s definitely worked much better out of the revolver, than the 240s did on lighter critters, such as 100 lb. or less hogs, javelina, ECT. I remember shooting a jackrabbit in the head, with the 180s, from about 35 yards. The rabbit was under a sage bush, the instant I squeezed off, the sage bush turned red. The rabbit just fell over, so we walked over to the rabbit. Found the head was gone, just a thin strip of fur that was on the back of it's neck was left, up to the ears. The rest of the head was gone.

That load worked good on pigs and deer both, never had a chance to try it out on anything over a 150 lb. pig. The 240 gr. bullets would work great at times, if the bullet hit enough muscle and bone before getting to the vitals, but if the bullet only hit some small ribs and then vitals, it killed them fine, just not as quick as the 180s did. My 18" barreled carbine I had for years, worked great with 240 gr. jacketed hollow cavities. That combo would do some damage.

With a Contender, you should get some pretty good velocities, much better than a sloppy revolver, with a large cylinder gap, like I was shooting. I have a 14" 44 Mag. When I get around to loading for that barrel, I will use H110, I already have plenty. Contender barrel, but have not loaded any rounds for it, yet. I would think 200 gr. to 240 gr. jacketed hollow points should work very well for hunting.

Hard cast 240 gr. and heavier bullets, should go through most any critter you shoot with them out of a 44 Mag. hand gun. I plan on trying some of the Keith 250 gr. hard cast bullets out of my Super 14 44. Then something around a 300 gr. hard cast out of the 16.25" 445.

As for brands of bullets, I have used Sierra, Nosler and Speer, 240 gr. jacketed hollow points, then Sierra and Nosler 180 gr., maybe some Speer 180 gr. bullets. I never really saw much difference in performance, on the stuff I was shooting, which was critters up to about 150 lbs.. Maybe on larger stuff, there may be some difference in the bullets, with what I did, I never really saw much difference. The only Hornady pistol bullets I have ever shot, are some 240 gr. XTPs, out of my 16.25" 445, it spits them out close to 2100 fps. At that velocity, those bullets shed their jacket very quickly. I am pretty sure they were not meant for those velocities. When I was last hunting with a 44 Mag., I did not know of any places that sold Hornady bullets, locally and also the XTP did not exist at that time. So I have no hunting experience with those bullets. The other three brands all worked very well.

Comment

Just got done on the range and all I can say is that was vey in conclusive... I really couldn’t hold a consistent group. Fired 50 rounds and the best group was probably 3” at 65 yards. Most lots of ammo were grouping 10” with me shooting. I did have a few shots that put two touching but couldn’t duplicate it.

24.5 grains of h110 seemed to be the best group I had. Back to the bench...

Comment

Originally posted by Randy M View Post
              That's a smokin' load!

Ended up splitting cases and had to drop a grain. I think they’re 1750ish now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                Just got done on the range and all I can say is that was vey in conclusive... I really couldn’t hold a consistent group. Fired 50 rounds and the best group was probably 3” at 65 yards. Most lots of ammo were grouping 10” with me shooting. I did have a few shots that put two touching but couldn’t duplicate it.

24.5 grains of h110 seemed to be the best group I had. Back to the bench...
                What is your comfort/confidence level in your shooting abilities and the pistol? For me, accuracy at distance with a pistol has a lot to do with consistent grip pressure/firmness as it does with trigger control. You might try closing the distance to the target to reduce any variation in aim point (i.e. much easier to aim accurately at shorter range) and try again to see if a particular load is more accurate. Then once you’ve got the load worked up, practice at longer range and tweak as needed.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                  What is your comfort/confidence level in your shooting abilities and the pistol? For me, accuracy at distance with a pistol has a lot to do with consistent grip pressure/firmness as it does with trigger control. You might try closing the distance to the target to reduce any variation in aim point (i.e. much easier to aim accurately at shorter range) and try again to see if a particular load is more accurate. Then once you’ve got the load worked up, practice at longer range and tweak as needed.

With a rifle I’m very confident, but pistols are still a learning curve. My 30-30 contender super 14 is super easy to shoot at 100 yards. I need to follow your advice with this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Any way you could mount a pistol scope to for initial load development?
                    Maybe add to accuracy compared to the red dot.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                      Any way you could mount a pistol scope to for initial load development?
                      Maybe add to accuracy compared to the red dot.
                      Yeah I can do that I actually have a leupold 4x on the way, I put the red dot because I have one on my super 14 3030 and I can manage easily 1moa or better at 100 yards using my hand loads.

Comment

I don't have a 44 Mag pistol but got a CVS Stalker rifle .. crazy accurate ..
                        I use a middle velocity with WIN 296 .. and 300 He JSP ..goes through hogs and kind on the my shoulder

Comment

in case ya' run into a biggun'
                          use a 444 marlin

Comment

I have a suppressed Ruger 77/44 that I use for deer and hogs inside 100 yds. My goal when developing loads was to shoot the heaviest jacketed projectile at 1050 fps or so. I use 300 grain bullets with either 13 gr AA#9 or 14 gr WW296. Several years ago I did some bullet tests with the three available bullets in that weight. If I remember correctly the target was about 20 yds away. Below is the result

Comment

You don't want to use the H11= on your cast bullets as it will melt off the base a little and leading will start. I used Blue Dot for all my magnum cast bullets. 19.5 gr. for the 240 gr. bullets and it shot the same trajectory as the jacketed 240 gr., all the way out.

A small game load you may want to check out is two, sized .429 lead balls (115 gr. each), stacked on top of each other. I worked up the load of 5.8 gr. of Red Dot. They shoot to aiming point to around 25 yards and are never more than 3" apart. At 50 yds., the front ball will still be very close to aiming point but the second ball is about 6" lower. I used it to mainly shoot cotton tails.

Comment

Blue dot has been known to cause serious forcing cone erosion in revolvers. Obviously not the case in levers, bolts, or single shots.

Also, if leading is a problem then gas checks are your answer.

Comment

Working...
                                X