Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ANYONE still trying to grow Huge NATIVE Low Fence Whitetails???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
    We have two pastures in the hill country next door to each other. One we have been feeding protein heavily for 11 years, its low fence with little pressure from neighbors. The other is HF, but same management practices and only had it about 8 years. We have had some mistakes by guests, but biggest deer to date is 170" native deer. We released some genetics a few years ago on the hf side, and now have some 200+" deer running around. We basically had a breeder buck and some does, and we would tag and release the fawns. The only difference is genetics and it is making all the difference in the world. 30+" of difference. I however, still prefer a native LF deer for myself, but I will eventually kill one on the HF side

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    What's do your trophies on the low fence side look like? 50s, 60s?
    Sounds like the perfect scenario with little pressure from your neighbors to grow some great deer!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
      What's do your trophies on the low fence side look like? 50s, 60s?
      Sounds like the perfect scenario with little pressure from your neighbors to grow some great deer!

Exactly. With one in the 70's. When we got the place it was 40's-50's. But our avg for culls is up to. Our mgmt 8 pointers are consistently mid 30's and up. Had a 153" 8 killed a few yrs back.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
        Exactly. With one in the 70's. When we got the place it was 40's-50's. But our avg for culls is up to. Our mgmt 8 pointers are consistently mid 30's and up. Had a 153" 8 killed a few yrs back.

Congratulations! Sounds like you guys got it going on!

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
          What’s a biologist recommended rate of protein?
          1 per 250 ac is what ours said.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
            We tried to! Oh lord how we tried!! But the owners had different plans that included clearing all the underbrush leaving only the big oak trees. Their reasoning was they want to be able to SEE the deer when they were out there. That, and they slowly sold the place off bit by bit, and went up 150% on the price.

All low fence Llano county deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            daaaang, they didnt grow'wm like that in our area of llano 20 years ago

awesome deer

Comment

Originally posted by coop2564 View Post
              1 per 250 ac is what ours said.
              Full all the time? How many deer do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                daaaang, they didnt grow'wm like that in our area of llano 20 years ago

awesome deer
                That's what makes this thread cool, you get to see what others have done or are doing in parts of the state where you would have never thought big deer were possible.

Even in my home coastal county of Brazoria there are some great deer being raised and harvested... I'm talking 160s! Unbelievable..

Comment

Originally posted by BIG BONE View Post
                  We have been since 2011 on 840 acres in OK. Protien/plots year round. We have been going up each year on the plots. We are right at 40 acres this year but should have been at 55 but the pigs wear one of the fields out so we stopped trying to replant. My favorite thing is the food plots. Just learning all the no til practices and looking forward to using cover crops and trying new varieties out. finally got around to putting out some crimson clover like el gato does. We burn a little bit of the property every year. We have a lot of water on the place but I still want to have water in my feeder pens. Trap and kill as many hogs as possible. Trying to grow some trees. We have a few sanctuaries. We have had some great young deer get killed by neighbors but oh well it happens. We moved our cows to one part of our place to keep them away from the deer. We don’t shoot trophies every year because I always want them to get another year. Seems like I’m always saying can’t wait til next year. My goal is to grow giant deer. My dream is to kill a 200 off it one day. We only bowhunt deer/turkey. Only a few times a year we will use a gun to kill some pigs but I think this has helped out a lot with the deer feeling more safe. Been trying to get some cottonseed up around me but it’s hard to find.

We have a couple sections in northwest Oklahoma. We are slowly getting there and trying to get to yalls level. We hope to install acres of food plots and greens like y’all do as well as add in the Free choice feeders. Our main thing is getting some equipment up there. We do have a 300 acre wheat field in the center of us but we have lots of sage country we’d like to get 5-10 acre plots in. Our goal will be a 200” deer one day. 178” is the top so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
                    We have a couple sections in northwest Oklahoma. We are slowly getting there and trying to get to yalls level. We hope to install acres of food plots and greens like y’all do as well as add in the Free choice feeders. Our main thing is getting some equipment up there. We do have a 300 acre wheat field in the center of us but we have lots of sage country we’d like to get 5-10 acre plots in. Our goal will be a 200” deer one day. 178” is the top so far.

178 is a STUD!

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                      You bring up a very valid point in Sanctuaries. We have cows on 100 percent of our property so I'm not sure if we actually have a true sanctuary or not. We do have at least two 3 to 4 hundred acre plots on our place that see little to no human activity (and not hunted). The deer hold up in there nicely.
                      I'd like to think they're sanctuaries but with cattle I dont know.
                      Good luck on your 200 inch quest, I bet you accomplish it one day! I have my sights set alot lower at a 170 LF deer.

thank you and ill bet you will tag a 170 sooner than you think with your plan in place. good luck this year and keep us posted

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post

heck yea, i bet yall have some brusiers up there. i would love to have that big of a plot dead center of our ranch. good luck this year

Comment

Tips??

Hey everyone,

I'm traveling to Lampasas tomorrow to hunt for the weekend, first hunt being tomorrow evening. I'm coming from Northeast Texas and the hill country is a bit of a different ball game. Me and one hunter in my party are experienced bow hunters, however the other 2 have never gotten a bow kill, one of which has never shot anything period. This is a fairly pricey trip and I'm looking for any tips/tactics or anything that might increase chances of success. place is north of lampasas on 281, low fenced, 100 acres, 4 feeders, 2 bow stands meaning 2 of us will have to build brush blinds, hence my concern (for the others, not me), also a tad bit concerned with the likelihood of rain.

-How early is "too" early for doe urine.
                          -also I've read a few places saying to "tickle" rattling horns together early season, some say that's a horrible idea. what's y'all's take?

Thanks in advance.
                          Last edited by 1PinWonder; 10-10-2018, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1PinWonder View Post
                            Hey everyone,

I'm traveling to Lampasas tomorrow to hunt for the weekend, first hunt being tomorrow evening. I'm coming from Northeast Texas and the hill country is a bit of a different ball game. Me and one hunter in my party are experienced bow hunters, however the other 2 have never gotten a bow kill, one of which has never shot anything period. This is a fairly pricey trip and I'm looking for any tips/tactics or anything that might increase chances of success. place is north of lampasas on 281, low fenced, 100 acres, 4 feeders, 2 bow stands meaning 2 of us will have to build brush blinds, hence my concern (for the others, not me), also a tad bit concerned with the likelihood of rain.

-also I've read a few places saying to "tickle" rattling horns together early season, some say that's a horrible idea. what's y'all's take?

Thanks in advance.
                            Talk about a thread hijack! WTH? all good bubba, I couldn't get passed very pricey and 100 acres with 4 hunters . Good luck!

Comment

Hey Mexico, sent you a pm

Comment

Originally posted by 1PinWonder View Post
                                Hey everyone,

Thanks in advance.
                                4 hunters on 100 acres you’re definitely on the wrong post!

Comment

Working...
                                X