Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saddle hunting is a real game changer for archers…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice one

Comment

Nice buck
      I'm so interested in saddle hunting, but haven't found a mesquite tree in west Texas tall enough yet.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

congratulations nice buck!!

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
            That would probably be my view if I tried hunting out of one of those!

Nice deer!
            That's funny! OP congrats on the buck from a fellow saddle hunter.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats! I have been looking hard at getting a saddle myself. I'm thinking for public land it just might be the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad74 View Post
                Nice buck
                I'm so interested in saddle hunting, but haven't found a mesquite tree in west Texas tall enough yet.
                that is how I see it too

Comment

Just picked up a saddle.

Needing to get sticks and platform and I'll be good to go!

Congrats on the buck!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice. Congrats. I liked hunting from the saddle. Unfortunately, my lease decided to create a rule where you could only put them up where we had other stands.

Comment

Originally posted by dfkoon View Post
                      Nice. Congrats. I liked hunting from the saddle. Unfortunately, my lease decided to create a rule where you could only put them up where we had other stands.
                      What does that mean? Saddles are portable not permanent.

Comment

I have killed my last 3 bucks out of my Tethrd Phantom. One last season and two this year.

Advantages:
                        Mobility...I am hunting a lot of different trees and locations.

Easier to hang than a lock on.

Safe..if you do everything slowly and correctly

Most shots are braced solid with 3 points of contact....tether and both feet. Notice I said "most shots"

You can hunt from a variety of of tree sizes and shapes. It's touted you can hunt from any tree....not true. Some trees suck. Try hunting from a Honey Locust with 6" thorns which is I have a multitude of on our ground.

Disadvantages:

Expensive to get into.

Can be a steep learning curve.

Can be uncomfortable depending on your choice of equipment and technique.

You tend to move around more in the saddle.

The weak side shot can be difficult....no it is difficult and can cost you a buck. Practice it. Practice shooting all positions.

Below are 3 bucks out of three different tree sets.

I like it a lot. It's another tool in the tool box. I still hunt lock ons also. The last buck pictured was out of my saddle but using a lock on for a platform. My sticks and Predator platform were in another tree that I was planning to hunt that morning. There was a major wind shift overnight so I went to a lock on location that matched the wind conditions, but tethered in and used my saddle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
                          Nice! Awesome buck. What setup are you running? I’m eyeing the saddle for next year myself just wanna make sure my back can handle it. Been dealing with a bulging disc for awhile now and it’s no fun.
                          Running a Hawk saddle with tons of mods...I put in an adjustable bridge and my own pouches and carabiners.

I use the DRT/MRT method for getting in and out of the tree. With a little practice it is great. No way I would go back to hanging sticks and doing all that jazz...way too much effort IMHO.

I use a throw ball and have paracord sets all over.

I also had wespur make me a custom 10 foot tether out of Samson Predator. Use a good prussic and also stay connected to the tree 100% with climbing line.

I am tied off from the ground up.

In the process of making my own platform that is a combination of a stick and platform, with the platform at the bottom...just need a good aluminum welder lol.

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
                          Just picked up a saddle.

Needing to get sticks and platform and I'll be good to go!

Congrats on the buck!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                          Check into SRT and DRT before buying sticks...they seemed like WAY too much work IMHO.

Good luck!
                          Last edited by Death from Above; 11-24-2021, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                            I have killed my last 3 bucks out of my Tethrd Phantom. One last season and two this year.

Advantages:
                            Mobility...I am hunting a lot of different trees and locations.

Easier to hang than a lock on.

Safe..if you do everything slowly and correctly

Most shots are braced solid with 3 points of contact....tether and both feet. Notice I said "most shots"

You can hunt from a variety of of tree sizes and shapes. It's touted you can hunt from any tree....not true. Some trees suck. Try hunting from a Honey Locust with 6" thorns which is I have a multitude of on our ground.

Disadvantages:

Expensive to get into.

Can be a steep learning curve.

Can be uncomfortable depending on your choice of equipment and technique.

You tend to move around more in the saddle.

The weak side shot can be difficult....no it is difficult and can cost you a buck. Practice it. Practice shooting all positions.

Below are 3 bucks out of three different tree sets.

I like it a lot. It's another tool in the tool box. I still hunt lock ons also. The last buck pictured was out of my saddle but using a lock on for a platform. My sticks and Predator platform were in another tree that I was planning to hunt that morning. There was a major wind shift overnight so I went to a lock on location that matched the wind conditions, but tethered in and used my saddle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Following you on here over the years is what really but me all in this year.

now I no longer educate deer with preseason scouting...I go kill them when conditions are right.

and ditto on the practice, shooting right handed at a deer on my right was tough and am glad I put in the work.

Comment

Great bow buck DFA...... Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                                What does that mean? Saddles are portable not permanent.

You are correct. It meant lease drama. Basically outlawed saddles and I was the only one using a saddle.

Comment

Working...
                                X