Mississippi State Study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walker View Post
    I'm gonna call bs on the study. Genetics apply to horses, cattle, sheep, goats, hogs, cats, dogs, chickens, ......... and people. But deer are the exception!! I don't think so.

That’s not what they said. The quickly admit certain deer carry individual markers that make them bigger, wider, taller, etc. however the overall herd size and antler size will improve with proper nutrition. Deer in the SE aren’t small by genetics, they’re small because they live in nutritionally deficient areas and if they grew to be 300lbs they would probably die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
      He's saying that while you can't improve genetics through selective harvest, you can improve genetics by buying deer and adding them to a herd. But, this is only partially true. You can add deer that have been selectively bred for large antlers, but that doesn't necessarily change the genetic capability of the deer herd as a whole.

The study would argue and the guy on the podcast said people try to do this all of the time and it doesn’t work because bringing a 200” buck that’s 250lb to breed 90lb does in SE Mississippi, the does are under nutritional stress and they share those markers with their offspring. So even if the doe is giving birth to a future Boone and Crockett buck, he won’t ever get their if she’s under nutritional stress during gestation and he lives in the same nutritionally deficient environment.

Comment

To all commenting about el gato’s place, you’re exactly correct. I’m sure people do studies on his deer but I hope it is well documented before he ever lets it go or moves on from it (if he ever does).

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
          The study would argue and the guy on the podcast said people try to do this all of the time and it doesn’t work because bringing a 200” buck that’s 250lb to breed 90lb does in SE Mississippi, the does are under nutritional stress and they share those markers with their offspring. So even if the doe is giving birth to a future Boone and Crockett buck, he won’t ever get their if she’s under nutritional stress during gestation and he lives in the same nutritionally deficient environment.

That's what I was saying. You can breed a bunch of big deer and release them, and have bigger deer, but, it will not necessarily be reflected in the overall genetic capability of the deer herd (not necessarily carried through to the offspring).

Comment

Age without peak year round nutrition does not realize the full genetic potential of a buck . I believe that is the case in a great majority of deer across the country. So often when we think we see a 'cull buck' we never know what the full potential is because of weakness in the nutritional plane.

Peak nutrition 24/7 365 lifts the quality of all age classes. If continued over time generationally the entire bell curve improves. Then allow for age and really good things can happen.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
              Age without peak year round nutrition does not realize the full genetic potential of a buck . I believe that is the case in a great majority of deer across the country. So often when we think we see a 'cull buck' we never know what the full potential is because of weakness in the nutritional plane.

Peak nutrition 24/7 365 lifts the quality of all age classes. If continued over time generationally the entire bell curve improves. Then allow for age and really good things can happen.

I’m curious. Do you know what the average live weight of 2.5yr old + does were on your property when you started habitat improvement? I’d like to know what the improvement is this far in for you. I’m sure it’s a big change

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
                That's what I was saying. You can breed a bunch of big deer and release them, and have bigger deer, but, it will not necessarily be reflected in the overall genetic capability of the deer herd (not necessarily carried through to the offspring).

Okay I understand now. Yeah that was interesting to hear because I’ve quite literally been told the exact opposite my entire life and never questioned it.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                  I'm gonna call bs on the study. Genetics apply to horses, cattle, sheep, goats, hogs, cats, dogs, chickens, ......... and people. But deer are the exception!! I don't think so.
                  There is a big difference between wild animals and domesticated ones. Also, deer when people say "genetics" in regards to deer, they are talking about antler growth. In those domesticated animals you listed there are a bunch of different traits that you are selecting for when breeding.

Comment

Working...
                  X