No announcement yet.

Recommendations for Rifle and Scope for Western Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As stated above you can’t hardly beat a Bergera b14 for the money and if you can find a leuoold vx 5HD for around a thousand you should be right at the $2000 mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
      Why do you need a special rifle and scope to kill an elk? I’ve killed 10 elk. 2 with a bow and , 1 with a 22-250 and 7 with a 243. Save the money you plan spending on a new rifle and apply that to a better area/better outfitter.
      Gota agree; pick your shots /hit where ya aim/(right projectile)(ITS WHERE YA HIT EM THAT COUNTS) Be Really comfortable with Weapon in HAND

would i recommend 22-250 (NO!) but with (right projectile) I have no doubt it will work fine... Have i killed Elk?..NO! But back in Farm/cattle days I Put a few Cows/Horses/Bulls 1k size out of Misery broken legs etc..at various range less than 50y..With my 22 long rifle..in the chest 1 shot and they fall over dead in a minute or so...If I could get close enough for a between eye was instant.

I'll go out on a limb and say over the years more Deer and Elk been Killed with the OLD 30-30...than any other calib....not recommending just saying from out here on MY LIMB

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
        Why do you need a special rifle and scope to kill an elk? I’ve killed 10 elk. 2 with a bow and , 1 with a 22-250 and 7 with a 243. Save the money you plan spending on a new rifle and apply that to a better area/better outfitter.

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
        Gota agree; pick your shots /hit where ya aim/(right projectile)(ITS WHERE YA HIT EM THAT COUNTS) Be Really comfortable with Weapon in HAND

would i recommend 22-250 (NO!) but with (right projectile) I have no doubt it will work fine... Have i killed Elk?..NO! But back in Farm/cattle days I Put a few Cows/Horses/Bulls 1k size out of Misery broken legs etc..at various range less than 50y..With my 22 long rifle..in the chest 1 shot and they fall over dead in a minute or so...If I could get close enough for a between eye was instant.

I'll go out on a limb and say over the years more Deer and Elk been Killed with the OLD 30-30...than any other calib....not recommending just saying from out here on MY LIMB

Come on guys, he just needs an excuse to buy a new rifle! Don’t ruin it for him. [emoji6]

Comment

Tikka topped with a Meopta......spend the rest on Kuiu from head to toe!

Comment

Originally posted by txheartshot View Post
            Before I bought my .300WM last year, I fondled Bergara, Christensen, and Browning HC. I really thought I wanted a Christensen, but kept going back to the Browning. Ended up with the HC Speed and have no regrets. I topped it with a Leupold VX-3 and am very happy for the money spent. As a matter of fact, I just ordered another VX-3 for my new 6.5 Grendel. All in I was right around $1800. I’ve since taken a Gemsbok and an Aoudad with it. Pretty light for an off-the-shelf gun at 7.5lbs, and has been very accurate shooting 180gr Barnes. I don’t rifle hunt much, but it’ll do everything I need it to.

*edit* I previously had a Tikka and it didn’t compare to the Browning, especially the cheap plastic magazines that came apart unexpectedly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Bring an extra mag for that Hells canyon as well with you. One of our guys on our annual trip 2 years ago had a HC mag that wouldn't feed, they are cheap plastic as well. He now owns a .300 Tikka alpine. They all have issues. I would either buy one of the new Tikka wideland or alpines, a bergara premier ( I have this in a .300 its a tack driver) and put a leupold vx5 with a custom dial for 180 nosler trophy grade accubonds. Those Accubonds flat do work on elk.
            Last edited by Mossback; 11-12-2021, 08:22 AM.

Comment

I would suggest a lighter weight rifle with a brake on it.

I have an Accumark but its a tad heavier than i want to carry in the mountians ( i carried it for 3 years ). So i had Weatherby build me a Ultralightweight in .300 Win. Light gun, very accurate and packs a punch.

I'm also a fan of the Christensen Ridgeline and do like the Browning Hells Canyon Speed.

.300 win mag is a great Elk Cartridge btw...very versatile. Took mine to Africa and made short work of everything I shot, including a big Sable

Comment

No need for a 300WM and get a variable scope but not a high magnification scope, you don't need 20x plus power for western hunting.
                Lighter weight rifle is great for mountain hunting.

Comment

I haven't read one rifle suggestion I don't at the very least semi-agree with. I also say go lighter and practice. I love my .300 Win. and I have toppled numerous meat elk and too many deer to count. I agree with a variable power optic with BDC marks. Practice using them and it will become second nature. One of my favorite Meopta scopes that fit your budget is the Optika5 3-15x44 Z-Plus reticle. Dial it all in with Strelok Pro and you are off. Good luck with all the options laid out for you. I don't think you will go wrong trusting your gut.

Comment

Where I hunted a few weeks ago, the elk I killed was near the property line at 385 yards and I didn't have time to wait while they ran off and eventually died. I needed DRT and was glad I had my .300 win mag. I actually wished I had more gun and I was told that if he crosses the fence we can't retrieve him.

Whatever you get, practice shooting off sticks

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

look for a good used rifle at the right price and spend as much as possible on good glass!

Comment

Originally posted by Bpearson13 View Post
                        Another advocate for the Tikka.
                        .308 with Leupold VX3i

Comment

Working...
                        X