A Hunter Can Go Broke Quick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Hunter Can Go Broke Quick

I was reading another thread on here this morning and the OP is getting a lot of great advice on how to bait a new hunting spot he'll be hunting for 4 days.
    Deer hunting would be a lot easier if there were not so many options out there. Corn seems to be the best and always comes up more than anything. But gosh dang you can go broke spending money on attractants trying to find that magic pill to bring in the big one. I know I have done it. My wife gets mad at me every year at the money I spend I trying to corn two places. I hunt public ground in Central Texas and private in ETX. I will say I never see deer at my feeders in ETX. Just my experience. I'm leaving tonight for Veteran's Day weekend to hunt my ETX 30 acres. And I want to try the hand corn more. But every time I go home I fill the feeder like clock work. And it seems like there are other popular choices that pop up a lot like vanilla corn and now I read more about sweet feed being used for deer.

One bit of advice I found interesting was one recommendation was to corn your spot the night you get there. I'd be worried about running off anything that might be hanging around at night.

I don't think there is no magic pill. It's hit or miss. Have to be in the right place at the right time.

Anyway, I'm a Retired Army Soldier but Happy Birthday Marines. God bless and stay safe. Let me know what you use to kill a big one.

I have resigned myself just to enjoy the outdoor quiet time. If u can hunt enough you will cross paths.......then, game on!!!![emoji95][emoji1018][emoji95]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Corn is not the best

Comment

try Big&J. I know it works in the Hill Country.

Comment

Consistency is key no matter what your feeding. Throwing new crap out and then sitting for a hunt isn’t a good practice. Your changing the normal. Any new smell can bugger an animal for a few days. Location is important to.

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo View Post
            Corn is not the best
            What you got???

Comment

I had a bunch of regulars coming to a corn feeder for years..I had a customer that had a large pear tree.It was loaded with big ol pears..I picked 2 trash bags full,and scattered them out around that feeder the next day...Long story short the deer wouldn't get within 50 yds of that feeder after that!

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                Consistency is key no matter what your feeding. Throwing new crap out and then sitting for a hunt isn’t a good practice. Your changing the normal. Any new smell can bugger an animal for a few days. Location is important to.
                This. My feeder screwed up last Friday and dumped all my corn out. Saturday, even my regular does came in and saw all the corn on the ground and would not hang around. Since it had rained a day or so before it was sitting in water under the feeder. I scooped it all out and dumped it away from the feeder, fixed the timer and refilled. Sunday morning covered up with deer and shot a trophy spike! They like consistent smells, and sights. Most anything new will make them leery.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                  What you got???
                  Acorns. Deer hunting only cost me gas. It's not legal to bait where we hunt and we are successful. Last year between my partner and I we each killed 5 deer. So far this year we each have killed 3 one of which my buddy killed a great 10 point. Tonight is debone night for me.

Comment

Big&j it works for us

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                      What you got???
                      i think he prefers headlights.

Comment

Apples

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                          Originally posted by Scubasteveo View Post
                          This. My feeder screwed up last Friday and dumped all my corn out. Saturday, even my regular does came in and saw all the corn on the ground and would not hang around. Since it had rained a day or so before it was sitting in water under the feeder. I scooped it all out and dumped it away from the feeder, fixed the timer and refilled. Sunday morning covered up with deer and shot a trophy spike! They like consistent smells, and sights. Most anything new will make them leery.
                          This makes sense. But, what if you hunt public land and everyone uses corn. The deer will probably get smart and know that corn means danger. Would they come to something different?

Comment

I had a buddy years ago that always killed nice deer in East Texas. I asked him about the thing about deer not coming to feeders over there. He said he hung his feeders about 30' off the ground from a pulley on a tree limb. He fed at noon and midnight. It would scatter corn thinly over a wide area. Every thing stayed more natural that way. Deer tended to mosey through looking through the leaves for the corn regularly as it seemed a natural food source.

Comment

Rice bran

Comment

Working...
                              X