Cape Buffalo with a bow??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cape Buffalo with a bow??

I’m booked for SA just north of Jburg the end of July and one of the animals is a Cape Buffalo. I’m chasing everything else with my bow and I’m planning on the Buffalo also with a bow. My question is, what did you personally use to take a buff with a bow and should I let the PH follow up with his gun as backup, not an emergency follow up?

71 pounds with 900 grain arrow was my setup.
    It can be done with less but penetration is key. Backup shots are for life and death situations only in my opinion. The trackers will find him for potential 2nd shot.[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
      It can be done with less but penetration is key. Backup shots are for life and death situations only in my opinion. The trackers will find him for potential 2nd shot.[emoji106]

I like your setup, I can use one bow for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post

This^^^..

Comment

Originally posted by Homer75 View Post

I like your setup, I can use one bow for everything.
          Easily!!!! Single bevel broadheads of good quality steel.[emoji1018]

Comment

If you’re gonna go, then go with a bow! Lots of folks have killed them archery hunting. Best of luck to you.

Comment

I used a 90 lb bowtech tribute at 29 inches. I built up some arrows with goldtip dangerous game shafts and weight tubes. I had a 160 grain stos head up from with a 100 grain steel insert j-b welded to the broadhead. Total arrow weight was 900 grains. Much easier to get to the weight now days. I personally think 900 grains is the number you want for weight. I think a stout two blade head is mandatory. I don’t think it has to be single bevel. I would try to shoot 80 lbs if you can unless you are hunting from a blind over water/feed. Takes a little of the rainbow arc out of the heavy arrows. My shot was 32 yards and the broadhead came through the far side. I did shoot a hippo several years after that. That was a grizzly stick arrow and head. 1250 grains with a 300 grain Ashby head. I was really trying for elephant.

Comment

My set up will go against most, but not because I wanted it too! I had not shot my bow since October 2020 and had major shoulder surgery in Nov with 4 anchors put in. When I started shooting again about 6 weeks before my hunt in RSA starting on Sept 14th, my strings had stretched and I was at 65#'s. I could not draw that weight without severe pain and I could not hold the bow steady period. I lowered the weight down to 60 and could draw with some pain, but could hold the bow steady.

At 60#'s I kept my same arrow set up, Gold Tip Kinetic 200 spine cut to 28 1/2 with a TuffHead 220 grain single bevel broadhead. Specs were 775 grains total arrow weight,.735 Momentum, 78.7 #'s KE and 27.2 FOC. I also had a double footing set up at the front of the shaft using 2 sizes of aluminum, the bottom being 2" long and the top being 1". Did this for strength.

Here are the results: I shot the Sable and almost got a pass thru, the arrow hung up on the fletching (4 3" feathers) and a follow up shot penetrated fully his shoulder blade and lodged in hos spine. The Gold Tip zipped thru the big Stallion Zebra like a hot knife thru butter. On the Cape Buffalo. He turned as I shot at 45 yard and the arrow buried completely in his left ham cutting the femoral artery. Being as tough as they are, when got close, 20 yards, but I could not see him. As I was trying to move to my left to get a shot, Johan and Garry said stop and Johan finished him. borh said the
                Buff was looking at me and they both thought if I moved anymore, he would charge. Better safe than sorry! They found about half of the arrow in the Buff's stomach. Not bad penetration for 3 shots and no braodhead damage to any of the 4 I shot and they are still sharp!

Comment

Shot my 60-70# Vertix w limb bolts tightened all the way down w 800 grain arrow and Tigershark broadhed.
                  One arrow and no follow up shot was required.
                  Enjoy the experience and good luck to you.

Comment

BUFF got one with his Black Widow recurve.

Comment

Would love to see this!! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tsmith663 View Post
                        Would love to see this!! Good luck!

I make no guarantees on the buff or video but, I’m hoping to at least try and use the cell phone for a video.

Comment

I make no guarantees on the buff or video but, I’m hoping to at least try and use the cell phone for a video.

The picture after would be worth it!

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
                            I used a 90 lb bowtech tribute at 29 inches. I built up some arrows with goldtip dangerous game shafts and weight tubes. I had a 160 grain stos head up from with a 100 grain steel insert j-b welded to the broadhead. Total arrow weight was 900 grains. Much easier to get to the weight now days. I personally think 900 grains is the number you want for weight. I think a stout two blade head is mandatory. I don’t think it has to be single bevel. I would try to shoot 80 lbs if you can unless you are hunting from a blind over water/feed. Takes a little of the rainbow arc out of the heavy arrows. My shot was 32 yards and the broadhead came through the far side. I did shoot a hippo several years after that. That was a grizzly stick arrow and head. 1250 grains with a 300 grain Ashby head. I was really trying for elephant.
                            I talked with the bow shop a couple of weeks ago and the guy was telling me that Mathews is going to have a bow with 75# modules. I’m really hoping that will be enough so I don’t have to get another bow just for a buffalo.

I’m currently shooting a 150gn Stinger with a decent FOC, I’ll just switch to the FMC Dangerous Game and add some brass to the front. Figured that’ll be my starting point.

Comment

I talked with the bow shop a couple of weeks ago and the guy was telling me that Mathews is going to have a bow with 75# modules. I’m really hoping that will be enough so I don’t have to get another bow just for a buffalo.

I’m currently shooting a 150gn Stinger with a decent FOC, I’ll just switch to the FMC Dangerous Game and add some brass to the front. Figured that’ll be my starting point.
                              I think 75 pounds is good with a modern compound. There are lots of stories of people killing them with heavy arrows and draw weights of 50-60 pounds. It’s just really heavy and slow arrows. I killed mine spot and stalk and wanted to be able to shoot 40 yards or so if needed. Lots of really good two blade heads out there. I would look at some of the Lusk archery broadhead tests.

Comment

Working...
                              X