Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good question..

Originally posted by chopsknives View Post
    Hey Thanx Ya'll some good info!! Yeah he's saying the same thing - do ya'll think it's better to learn in shops or go to a trade school and get certified first?
    Hiring on a place,like I work.Go to milwright school(they pay for it)They'll plug him straight in..Then the melt shop will teach him to weld up dirt,rust,and fill holes.P.M.me if you want more info.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
      That’s what made men out of us back in the day.
      Still to this day there is nothing more satisfying as earning your keep.

Comment

Lol!

Originally posted by KGreene View Post
        Before the kids decide to be a welder put them in boots, long sleeved shirt and full leathers. Put him inside a dry sauna for two hours and see how he fairs. I would bet a lot of guys change their minds after the first year of the self abuse it takes.
        Probably not bad advice! Funny though..I've worked in a melt shop for 30 yrs..You'd think I could pick out a tough punk,that could handle the heat by now..I can't some surprise the hell outta me..From 25 yr old hard core Marines that tap out the first shift.To the college grad that couldn't find an accountants job,yet sailed through the sweat,and heat..Crazy..You just gotta be wired different.

Comment

PM Sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is a great shop that is hiring. It is owned and operated by good people.

Comment

Not a professional welder, but I worked at a welding and fab shop back in high school, and have started and run several businesses.

As somebody else said, go work at a local shop for a year and get paid to learn. The guys there will teach him a ton, and it’s a much lower level of stress. Save some money up and buy a machine and tools.

If we wants to try the on the road deal, with plants or pipelines, go do it while he’s young and single. If he makes good money, and can save it, he could set himself up to start a business with little debt.

Sooner or later I’d imagine he will want a family and normal life, if he has the experience and some money saved, he could start his own mobile welding business or shop. As you get older, many of these trades are hard on your body, if you have to be the one doing all the work yourself to make a buck, you’re looking at a career change around 50 in most cases.

If you have a company, you can hire younger guys to do the work and make decent money running the business. When you want to retire you can sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by chopsknives View Post
                Alright my son Dylan is graduating HS and is already certified - what's the best route for him to take? He wants to get into the better paying positions and he's a purdy decent welding student according to his teacher. Lookin for any kind of advice to put him on the right track. Thanx in advance

Tell him to pal up next to some old hands, pay attention and ask questions. I used my welding background to get into the quality field and it’s severed me well. I could have continued to make a good living under a hood but chose not to. Just re-up’d my 9-yr CWI a few weeks back and while I’ve been in inspection for years now my welding background has served me well in my career in shops and out in the field.

[emoji1662]

Comment

Working...
                X