Do truck bed covers increase MPG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by angrybroadhead View Post
    In negotiations to buy a new Tundra. I know I will put a locking bed cover on it for storage. Just wondering if they help increase MPG.

Thanks for info!

Yes. I went from 16.9 to 20.1 after I put the hard cover on.
    I have a dodge crew cab with a hemi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve owned some type of cover on every truck I’ve owned since 2000 and I’ve seen zero increase in fuel mileage.

Mythbusters did an experiment several years ago and showed open bed with tailgate up and bed cover produced identical fuel mileage. Debunks the myth of riding around with your tailgate down or no tailgate at all.

That being said I’ll never own a truck without a bed cover of some kind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I went with a sliding truck cover usa work and didnt notice any change on my 19 ecoboost.
        Truck cover usa claims better mpg.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          I don't think it helps with mileage but that sure wouldn't deter me from getting one. It sure is nice being able to put all your gear in the back and it staying clean and dry, not to mention out of sight.

I won't own a truck without a locking bed cover and a locking tailgate. Sure if a thief wants in he's going to get in but you can tie it into your truck's alarm system and it's is certainly more difficult to get into that the cab of the truck.
          Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          I’ve owned some type of cover on every truck I’ve owned since 2000 and I’ve seen zero increase in fuel mileage.

Mythbusters did an experiment several years ago and showed open bed with tailgate up and bed cover produced identical fuel mileage. Debunks the myth of riding around with your tailgate down or no tailgate at all.

That being said I’ll never own a truck without a bed cover of some kind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
          So you still feel the same 10 years later?

Comment

no

Comment

I have a tundra with a bed cover on it and doesn’t make a diff if it’s on or off for mileage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nah, but they’re handy as all get out!

Comment

Working...
                X