2019/2020 east Texas hunting thread..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grits View Post
    Anybody have deer coming to corn in Nacogdoches county or are they still on the acorns?
    Grits
    Still on acorns. Hoping this rain and cold weather sour what's on the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Fajkus7 View Post
      Man he’s an awesome deer. I’m a sucker for a split G3 and he’s got one of the coolest splits I’ve ever seen. Great deer and congrats again.
      Originally posted by Rwc View Post
      I

That’s a stud Mr Johnny. Congrats my friend.

Rwc
      Much appreciated fellas.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

My target deer is back. Hitting corn every night but having trouble patterning where he’s coming or going. Either he’s down in weight from the rut or he’s younger than I thought. When I saw him on the hoof he seemed like a decent sized deer but in this pic he looks small/young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by aggiehunter3 View Post
            My target deer is back. Hitting corn every night but having trouble patterning where he’s coming or going. Either he’s down in weight from the rut or he’s younger than I thought. When I saw him on the hoof he seemed like a decent sized deer but in this pic he looks small/young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Yeah he's most definitely lost weight so his body size is likely a poor indicator of age right now. But look at his face. That's a mature deer. If you see him, bust him.

Comment

Now that I'm tagged out at the lease and prospects for a mature buck on our farm are nill I'm focusing on trying to ascertain where my number one hit-lister is spending his time when he's not teasing me on camera around my stand.

With all the hot deals on game cams the last couple of years I've got plenty to try and figure this out. Went for a walkabout today and found some scrapes in an area I wasn't sure I'd be able to access, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that wasn't the case.

Hopefully I can find him and get a better bead on him before he sheds his antlers (and before it gets to hot to be walking around in the pines).

Comment

Anyone doing some late season hunting this week in Houston County?

J

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                  Now that I'm tagged out at the lease and prospects for a mature buck on our farm are nill I'm focusing on trying to ascertain where my number one hit-lister is spending his time when he's not teasing me on camera around my stand.

With all the hot deals on game cams the last couple of years I've got plenty to try and figure this out. Went for a walkabout today and found some scrapes in an area I wasn't sure I'd be able to access, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that wasn't the case.

Hopefully I can find him and get a better bead on him before he sheds his antlers (and before it gets to hot to be walking around in the pines).
                  Same here. I’ve already found the one I hope makes it in through the season. He’s already 5-6 yo. I’d like to find his sheds if he makes it

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                    Thanks! Forgot the cooler pic.[emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                    Congratulations Johnny. Love the chocolate and character. Two of my favorite traits in whitetail antlers.

Lot of vertical mass there you don’t get credit for. Looks like an upper 40s animal. Way to get it done!

Austin

Comment

I’ve seen deer everywhere on feed route this morning

Was closing a gate after feeding heifers and caught something in a finger of woods. Just counted so I knew it wasn’t cows. First was a doe flying through. Then a broke up young buck and another smaller buck. Both from the “cottonmouth” as I was 1/4 mile north of it

The two bucks got to the middle of open field and started an all out brawl... not sparring. A brawl! They fought until I couldn’t watch anymore and where still fighting when I left. Wasn’t 60” of horn combined in the fight and I could hear it at 150 yards... and I can’t hear. Lol

Neat to watch anyway
                      Last edited by Low Fence; 12-18-2019, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Headed East this weekend. hoping for some late season success

Comment

Originally posted by ccallarman View Post
                          Headed East this weekend. hoping for some late season success
                          In Houston County and I am sitting in my tree stand now and since Monday afternoon. Been really slow at the feeder, as in not seen anything at all this week. Not even hogs which is really odd. I especially would have thought this morning would have been the best chance for activity. There must be a better food source near by other than corn and rice bran. Unfortunately I don't have time to do another setup. Probably leaving tomorrow morning.

I did see a coyote this morning right at the crack of dawn and couldn't just let it leave my line of sight without taking a shot. I believe its down and will try to collect it when I take a snack break. Of course, that may have hindered me seeing some activity this morning. lol Oh well, maybe the evening sit will be better.

J

Comment

There are still an unbelievable amount of pinoak acorns in Houston co. Never seen it like this this late. Deer are starting back on My hand corn a little but everyone I know has corn piled up under feeders.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                              There are still an unbelievable amount of pinoak acorns in Houston co. Never seen it like this this late. Deer are starting back on My hand corn a little but everyone I know has corn piled up under feeders.
                              Pinoaks finally played out here last week. Starting to get pictures over handcorn again with some new deer showing up.

Comment

When y'all saw pin oaks are y'all referring to water oaks?

Comment

Working...
                                X