X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      Great story, pics and bull! Congrats Shane! Helluvan archery accomplishment!
      x2

Comment

Beautiful pics! Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          I've dreamt of killing a bugling bull elk with my bow all my life. 53 years old and finally did it. I'll never forget it.
          This gives me hope. How did you prepare physically?

Comment

Congratulations!

TMKBDD

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
              This gives me hope. How did you prepare physically?
              I workout regularly. I do mostly strength training with weights along with low impact cardio and conditioning work (no running or jumping). For 3 months or so before the hunt I did a lot of leg work. Heavy squats, LOTS of single leg work (Bulgarian split squats, step ups, lunges, etc.), calf raises.... Don't skip core work and push/pull upper body though. For cardio I did HIIT on AirDyne bike (low impact on my knees), lots of fast walking on 15 degree treadmill, and stair climber. Running and jumping is great cardio, but it's hard on my knees. I was diligent in not hammering on my knees. It paid off. I was fit and ready, and my knees never bothered me during the hunt.

I still found myself breathing a lot harder than normal, especially the first couple of days. There's just no way to simulate and prepare for altitude when you don't live at high altitude. Best we can do is to just be as strong and fit as we can be. I was able to keep up with the guide going up the mountain. I just huffed and puffed more than he did.

Comment

great job my friend.. looks like memories were made

Comment

I can imagine the elation upon finding him!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Nice. Congrats

Comment

Congrats, looks like it was a great hunt!

Comment

This hunt was the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat after calling him in and shooting him and then not finding him. Then it was the thrill of victory again when we found him and the meat still looked good. But we're back to the agony of defeat again. Took the meat to the processor this afternoon, and when we opened the coolers it was rank. Meat had a hint of green color. After taking it out and letting it sit in the open air for a minute or two it got greener by the second. Had to toss it.

I'll take the cape to Jerry Huffaker in the morning. If I'm really lucky it won't be slipping and will be usable. My expectations for that now are low.

Guess I'll have to shoot more axis this year to make up for it. And then I guess I'll have to go back to the mountains again next year to kill another elk.

Comment

Nice one. Congrats!

Comment

Awesome ! Congrats

Comment

Dang Shane, real sorry to hear that, hopefully the hide will still work. Congrats again on an incredible bull and great experience otherwise!

Comment

Working...
                                X