Field dressing table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Field dressing table

I've been wanting something like this for a long time. I've looked to see if one was made, talked to welders, etc and for some reason never got it done. I originally posted the linked thread and got ideas but again for some reason just talked about it and didn't get it done.

A couple of months ago a buddy texted me that he saw a "barrel dolly" on an online auction site. I took a look and there were actually 2 that would work well as a starting point. I won the auction for $25 and picked them up. Here is what I started with.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gut before_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	25190923

I don't weld so I had to get creative and after a couple of trips to Home Depot had everything I needed. The wheels are gate swing wheels, I added a couple of aluminum straps to the top for more coverage area and bolted everything together.

Name:	gut before_2.jpg
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	25190924

Name:	gut before_3.jpg
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	25190925

I only built 1 as I want to use it a couple of times to see what improvements I want on the second one. I forgot to take pics right after so I had to wait until last weekend and was able to take pics with a pig in progress. It didn't necessarily save me any time but it was a ton easier. If for no other reason not having to wrestle with legs, etc as I had them tied in place. I got the pig 75% gutted and skinned and then raised it up using the winch and finished in a couple more minutes.

Name:	gut After_2.jpg
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	25190926

Name:	gut After_3.jpg
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	25190927

Name:	gut After_4.jpg
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	25190928

As you can see in the pics the front legs (w/o wheels) I did at an angle. Once I got the pig in place it worked well but getting the pig stable was an issue as the "table" kept wanting to fall forward. The next table will have vertical legs somehow and that should solve that issue. I zip tied the legs on this one. I need to find a better way even though zip tying wasn't bad. I'm thinking a short piece of chain or maybe a wire.

Anyway, I'm also up for suggestions if you see anything you would do different.

That's pretty nifty. Do you think it is easier than hoisting them with a gambrel?

Comment

Originally posted by crittergetter76 View Post
      That's pretty nifty. Do you think it is easier than hoisting them with a gambrel?
      For the beginning part yes. I made the height the same as a tailgate so you can just roll the animal off into place and "tie" the legs open and get going. I have both though so when it it time for the final cuts and guts to come out I put the gambrel in and winch up the animal. I have always hung head down so this allows me to cut from the diaphragm to throat without guts in the way. That is probably the biggest advantage as the animal was super clean when I was done.

Comment

Originally posted by crittergetter76 View Post
        Those were exactly my thoughts. I rarely gut an animal anymore. Looks like it works well, congrats.

Comment

I found the gutless method to be the quickest, especially in the heat.

Comment

Use chains and a hook to lock the legs back. Too easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
              Use chains and a hook to lock the legs back. Too easy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or even a couple of stout rubber tie down straps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by sharpstick35 View Post
                I found the gutless method to be the quickest, especially in the heat.

This is all we do. Winch up and get to work. Drop everything that is not meat in the syrup tub. No gutting saves time as well. The ribs are nothing but a basket for the guts.

Comment

Working...
                X