Back after 7 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back after 7 years

I some how got the archery bug again. I used to shoot a diamond black ice. I am now shooting my sons Martin Cheetah, to see if im going to stick with this before I drop a bunch of money. All I can say is wow things have changed. I have been researching bows, new and older models, but was wondering what are real world specs like. I mainly shoot hogs and trying to figure out numbers that would punch a big old boar. Thanks for any tips
    Last edited by Caspd302; 01-02-2019, 07:26 AM. Reason: mistype

I (and many others) mostly shoot “flagship” bows from either Hoyt, Bowtech, Elite, or Mathews. Some others like Prime can be thrown into the mix. If you stick with a “flagship” outfitted out with quality components you would be looking at around $2,000. If you scan the classifieds you could pick up a fully outfitted and lightly used bow for a fraction. Realistically- the specs would be 300+FPS with a 500 grain arrow, and capable of shooting 3in dots at 100 yards.

Comment

300 FPS with a 500 grain arrow would definitely punch a boar

Comment

Originally posted by Caspd302 View Post
        I some how got the archery bug again. I used to shoot a diamond black ice. I am now shooting my sons Martin Cheetah, to see if im going to stick with this before I drop a bunch of money. All I can say is wow things have changed. I have been researching bows, new and older models, but was wondering what are real world specs like. I mainly shoot hogs and trying to figure out numbers that would punch a big old boar. Thanks for any tips
        Realistically, a 500 gr arrow a@ 300 FPS would need to be a 370 FPS IBO rated bow @ 29/70, good luck finding that animal.

A more realistic number to look for would be 500 gr shooting between 250 and 270 FPS, that's a bow with an IBO rating of 330 to 345 FPS depending on your draw length and weight; those are calculated at 29/70.

Most bow companies have gone to better shooting, more comfortable, easier to tune platforms in the last few years and less about the all mighty FPS; although there are still some real burners out there.

If you do a little research, the most popular bows are in the 330-345 range, with a good draw and valley, many times letoff is adjustable as well. All the manufacturers Raypo mentioned build this type bow, as well as PSE (Evolve cam system).

The Cheetah is definitely a dated model and you would do yourself well to try other bows before you decide you want to hang it up. IOW, don't make your decision to continue in archery based on a 10 year old bow.

I shoot a Prime Logic, 68 pounds, 28.75" draw length, 500 gr arrow @ 255 FPS with about 18% FOC. This will kill any hog I ever encounter if I do my part. The bow fits me well, holds steady and I have confidence in the set up.

I'm not sure exactly what you are looking for, but you really need to shoot some new models to see what you could be missing.

Comment

I have a Martin MAX 33, and I love it. Shoots better than some of the 1500 dollar bows and only has an MSRP of $797. I have beat the living tar out if it (not on purpose) and it still works great. Comes with GAS bowstrings from the factory, and is easy to tune.

BTW, I am shooting a 450 grain Victory VAP 292 feet per second. Draw weight 70 lbs and length 29".

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
          Last edited by antiparadigm; 01-02-2019, 02:47 PM. Reason: Additional information

Comment

If you're getting back into it to hunt id say research the package bows. These bows have the technology that was cutting edge 5 years ago. Very shootable bows. No need to spend the big bucks unless you just have it burning a hole in your pocket. I'd save the money and spend it on a site,stabilizer and rest upgrade.

Comment

Working...
            X