Broadhead accuracy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadhead accuracy?

I recently purchased some Muzzy Trocan 1 3/16”. I plan to use one as a practice head. Will all three heads fly the same or do I need to shoot the one I plan to hunt with and then change out the blades on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Court2005 View Post
    I recently purchased some Muzzy Trocan 1 3/16”. I plan to use one as a practice head. Will all three heads fly the same or do I need to shoot the one I plan to hunt with and then change out the blades on it?

Muzzy have pretty good build quality. Spin each one while on the shaft, then shoot it for POI. You shouldn't need to shoot them more than a few times unless you have a tune issue.

The short answer is, you never know how any broadhead will fly until it flies; so make 'em fly.

Comment

Thanks, I will shoot all of them before hitting the woods.

Comment

Good advice above. First spin test all of them assembled on the arrows you want to actually with them on. Second set two sets of blades aside to hunt with, and the remaining set to practice with. Installed those blades one at a time obviously on the three heads and test each one a few times. So shoot head 1, change blades to head 2, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
          Good advice above. First spin test all of them assembled on the arrows you want to actually with them on. Second set two sets of blades aside to hunt with, and the remaining set to practice with. Installed those blades one at a time obviously on the three heads and test each one a few times. So shoot head 1, change blades to head 2, etc.

Will spin them next time I get a chance to shoot.

Comment

Why would the same make broadheads fly differently? Im confused. I have 3 different broadheads in my quiver, they all fly the same.

Wasp Bullet
            Grim Reapers
            Rocket Wolverine
            Last edited by lovemylegacy; 11-20-2018, 10:05 PM.

Comment

When I broadhead tune my bow I use a muzzy MX3 a NAP Thunderhead, and a G5 Montec. These are the biggest blade profile heads I have. When they hit with my fieldpoints, all the other fixed blades will too. When I buy a different broadhead than I have been shooting, I use one from the package as a practice head. I haven’t had one broadhead fly different than the others of the same make, so I don’t shoot every head.

Comment

The bow must be tuned or broadheads, any broadhead will not fly correctly. You can spin and change all the broadheads you want, but the bow must be tuned and square.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                  The bow must be tuned or broadheads, any broadhead will not fly correctly. You can spin and change all the broadheads you want, but the bow must be tuned and square.

In a tuned bow with any broadhead you can have some that are flawed. So the opposite is true also no matter how well tuned your bow is, if a broadhead won’t spin it won’t fly. Both sides matter. Spin testing hunting arrows is a valuable use of time, but so is tuning your bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Loneaggie View Post
                    In a tuned bow with any broadhead you can have some that are flawed. So the opposite is true also no matter how well tuned your bow is, if a broadhead won’t spin it won’t fly. Both sides matter. Spin testing hunting arrows is a valuable use of time, but so is tuning your bow.
                    The only thing I have ever seen that was flawed that caused my arrow to fly incorrectly is the nock. I cant say I have ever had a broadhead to fly incorrectly, as long as my bow was tuned. Bow tuning is the foundation of straight, accurate arrow flight. A quality broadhead is second in that line.

I have a tool that squares the end of my arrow shafts, pretty much eliminates "crooked" broadheads. They at least sit square or straight to the arrow. Spin check after using that little thang and its all good.

On occasion it seems that I would get a labeled wrong arrow or a mis-spined arrow. A lighter spined arrow will affect arrow flight also.

Comment

I’ve had ferrules bend on broadheads after going through animals or hitting something in a target unbeknownst to me. At 20 yards it doesn’t matter a whole lot, but I like to control the things I actually can because there’s a whole lot I can’t and I want as much room for error there as possible by minimizing everywhere else. So I weigh and spin every broadhead that goes on an arrow. Overboard for 20 yard shots .... probably. But I enjoy it.

The only thing I have ever seen that was flawed that caused my arrow to fly incorrectly is the nock. I cant say I have ever had a broadhead to fly incorrectly, as long as my bow was tuned. Bow tuning is the foundation of straight, accurate arrow flight. A quality broadhead is second in that line.

I have a tool that squares the end of my arrow shafts, pretty much eliminates "crooked" broadheads. They at least sit square or straight to the arrow. Spin check after using that little thang and its all good.

On occasion it seems that I would get a labeled wrong arrow or a mis-spined arrow. A lighter spined arrow will affect arrow flight also.

Comment

Need to define accurate also. That could be anything between the size of a quarter to a 8' paper plate depending on the person

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                          Need to define accurate also. That could be anything between the size of a quarter to a 8' paper plate depending on the person
                          With the equipment we have these days, 8" is not accurate....unless you are under 10 years of age.

Comment

With the equipment we have these days, 8" is not accurate....unless you are under 10 years of age.
                            I'm happy with 8" at 100 yds.

And a well tuned bow don't make up for a poorly tuned arrow. It all matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                              I'm happy with 8" at 100 yds.

And a well tuned bow don't make up for a poorly tuned arrow. It all matters.
                              Whoooweee aint that the truth. 8" at a hundred yards.

I agree, it just sounded like that was the only thing that mattered was a spin test. A tuned bow is your foundation for good accuracy. Arrows matter too.

Comment

Working...
                              X