Concrete question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concrete question

I want to pour a 40ft x 40ft slab for my shop. The slab is not supporting the structure. Is a 4 inch slab enough to park a truck and tractor on or should I go 6 inch thick? I’m getting mixed suggestions from contractors.

Depends on cement ratio. Get a class C or similar mix and go 4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Right at 10 more yards of concrete in a 6 inch vs a 4. I went 5.5-6 in my shop, and I wouldn’t be afraid of it breaking, it didn’t even have any surface cracks after 6 years.

Comment

I always like going a little thicker than thinner with a slab. You only get one shot at it. What's a little more money for a lot more security as far as cracking

Comment

Go 6. Sidewalk and other flat work is usually 4, for a reason...cheap and doesn’t need to hold up like building slabs should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Six without a doubt.

Comment

4” is enough for a light F150 or something but I wouldn’t put a tractor on it. It’s never cheaper than right now to do it right. Go with 6”.
              Last edited by JakeGraves; 01-11-2019, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Go with the thicker ( buy once, cry once ) type of deal. Just one less thing to worry about.

The only other suggestion is, think about this really hard for what may happen down the road. Will you wish you would have ran water to it for washing the truck? Will you wish you had some kind of cover for the tractor to get it out of the weather? a 40 x 40 will catch a lot of water, have you thought about which way to slope it to get the water to drain away from everything.
                Just a few things a lot of people don't think about. You may have already thought of them, but if not.........

Comment

I've never seen a driveway thicker than 4 inches and never seen one break under normal loads. Are you talking 18 wheeler and very large tractor? I added a shop and driveway in the rear of my house and had cement trucks back down my 4" driveway and it's still there after 10 years.

Comment

My 12 yr old pole barn slab is 4" thick with 1/2" bars on 12" centers. I have had 1 ton trucks, 100hp tractors, backhoes, and tandem axle dump trucks on mine. No problems.

EDIT
                    for the record, that was ****empty dump trucks!!!*****
                    Last edited by Palmetto; 01-11-2019, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Need more info.

What size beams?

How many beams?
                      What steel reinforcement?
                      What is condition of subgrade?

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                        Need more info.

What size beams?

How many beams?
                        What steel reinforcement?
                        What is condition of subgrade?
                        Answer his questions. Anyone about giving you an answered should have asked these questions first.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                          My 12 yr old pole barn slab is 4" thick with 1/2" bars on 12" centers. I have had 1 ton trucks, 100hp tractors, backhoes, and tandem axle dump trucks on mine. No problems.

EDIT
                          for the record, that was ****empty dump trucks!!!*****
                          another EDIT......didn't give enough information the first time.

My 12 yr old 30x40 pole barn slab is 4" thick with 1/2" bars on 12" centers, no beams at all. One great big monolithic type slab. I scraped the grass off, leveled with sand, layed plastic, tied rebar, and poured.

If I did it over again, I would do it differently. Perimeter beams, & atleast internal beams @ 15x20. I would also saw cut expansion joints. But....I was younger, and poorer. Did what I could with what I had, and it has worked fine for me.

Comment

Working...
                          X