Vane distance from seat of the nock.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wondering if any of you folks are playing with different distances? I have an EZ fletch right now so obviously I can't move things around. What got me thinking about it was borrowing my buddies Bitz and putting together some four fletch to play with. I don't like the way the vanes scrunch up on my face when at anchor on the four's. That in turn got me thinking about the possible effects on arrow flight etc. Gonna start saving the pennies for a Bitz. I really liked that jig. Anyhoo probably overthinking it but that's all part of the fun.

Vanes will steer with more influence closer to the nock. The problem as you have found is unwanted face contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not overthinking at all, it's all part of the process.

beards and chins, and in my case, a dip of snuff can cause vane contact with the face; which should be avoided at all cost.

As Muddyfuzzy said, the close to the nock the more influence on steerage. You want them just far enough away that there is no face contact and try all angles (up and down).

The loss in steerage is really theoretical for most people as they can't shoot well enough to see the difference. but if it gets stuck in your brain there are things you can do to get the steerage back; longer vanes, switching to feathers, higher profile vanes, delta vanes, etc.

When using the EZ fletch you can increase the distance by fletching with a short nock and then installing a longer nock to shoot with. For example, when fletching up Gold Tip arrows, use an Accu-lite nock to fletch and then shoot with an Accu-tough nock. It ain't much, but it might be enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
        Just wondering if any of you folks are playing with different distances? I have an EZ fletch right now so obviously I can't move things around. What got me thinking about it was borrowing my buddies Bitz and putting together some four fletch to play with. I don't like the way the vanes scrunch up on my face when at anchor on the four's. That in turn got me thinking about the possible effects on arrow flight etc. Gonna start saving the pennies for a Bitz. I really liked that jig. Anyhoo probably overthinking it but that's all part of the fun.
        No you are not over thinking it. I have seen people mount their vanes up about 3" or so. Looks funny but I have seen it.

Comment

Dr Ashby agrees with Muddy...as far back as possible is mo betta...more leverage on steering.

Rat...I like that suggestion about a shorter nock for the EZ fletch.

Stoof...Ive several EZ fletches and noticed the big spacing too. Ive gone so far as to cut the nock end of shafts with my arrow saw...with the arrows already feather fletched. A Dremel would do the same thing.

Comment

Really this is not much of an issue with the standard three fletch set up for me. It only bugs me with the four. And to be honest, at my level of shooting I cannot tell much of a difference with the four fletch.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
              Not overthinking at all, it's all part of the process.

beards and chins, and in my case, a dip of snuff can cause vane contact with the face; which should be avoided at all cost.

As Muddyfuzzy said, the close to the nock the more influence on steerage. You want them just far enough away that there is no face contact and try all angles (up and down).

The loss in steerage is really theoretical for most people as they can't shoot well enough to see the difference. but if it gets stuck in your brain there are things you can do to get the steerage back; longer vanes, switching to feathers, higher profile vanes, delta vanes, etc.

When using the EZ fletch you can increase the distance by fletching with a short nock and then installing a longer nock to shoot with. For example, when fletching up Gold Tip arrows, use an Accu-lite nock to fletch and then shoot with an Accu-tough nock. It ain't much, but it might be enough.
              Move your snuff to the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post

Legendary response! Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Why not use your ez fletch to do 4 fletch

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                    Because I don't have to, I have a jig that allows me to put the vanes where ever I want on the arrow. I bought a $280 jig just so I wouldn't have to move my snuff to the other side!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Comment

Fletch first, trim back arrow on nock end first.

Comment

Shooting fingers makes you set them a little further forward than I did with a release.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                        X