Biltong eaters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biltong eaters

My son and grandson went to South Africa in 2019, they had a blast. Took many trophies and made some good friends. They both came back raving about the biltong they ate while there. They were in the Limpopo area and said every store sold biltong, and the Safari outfitter made their own. My son knew I would like it and tried to smuggle some home. It is not legal to do so. The biltong was removed from the suitcase and returned 10 days later.Why is this biltong not popular enough to be made and sold here. I'm in the greater Houston area and the world wide web has only one ad here in Houston. What's the opinion of the African hunters who have tried this Biltong? We are scheduled to go to Limpopo this September and I can't wait to see all of the animals on my hit list and experience all of the greatness of Africa. And try the BILTONG.

I want to try it! i think there is a couple places around Houston/Katy you can get it.

Comment

Africa is great! I’ve hunted there 4 times. Each time I’ve tried biltong. Each time I’ve vowed to never eat that nasty stuff again. If I want jerky, there are waaaaaaay better offers here in the US than any African biltong!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Biltong is not jerky, so don't go in thinking it is.

I have bought it at Aldi, but it was a limited offering.

It is just plain nasty……..

Comment

Amazon has loads of it, if you want to try it

Comment

Sounds like one of those things that has lots of factors as to your impression.

You can find threads on here with folks who love aoudad and lists who hate it. So many factors and pallets

Comment

My ex in-laws were from S Africa and he used to talk about it. Sounded disgusting to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe there was a Lot of Whisky involved while eating it ;-)

Comment

ate it, made it, was ok. just have better things to do with good meat.

Comment

My brother had some he picked up in Bandera. Wasn’t bad. Lots of fat on it though.

Comment

I’ve had Cape Buffalo biltong and while it was OK, I certainly wouldn’t eat it over good beef jerky. To each their own, glad they enjoyed it.

Comment

Like you, I was excited to try it when we got there. After buying a few bags, me and my crew weren't impressed.
                        PH didn't eat it either and told us to make sure and get it at a store and not to buy it from street vendors when we were on sight seeing trips.
                        Have fun on your trip, it's a blast!

Comment

When I was in the Cape, I bought a few different brands at small local stores and gas stations as we traveled to several different concessions. Some were downright nasty and others were sorta edible imho. I prefer our venison jerky that’s cured with smoke over African air dried biltong. There’s plenty to be had on the good old Amazon/ internet. If you just got to have it, try a few different ones as they are not all created equal.

Comment

Originally posted by jmoore View Post
                            Like you, I was excited to try it when we got there. After buying a few bags, me and my crew weren't impressed.
                            PH didn't eat it either and told us to make sure and get it at a store and not to buy it from street vendors when we were on sight seeing trips.
                            Have fun on your trip, it's a blast!
                            Is it covered with fly blow ? Or is it salt and pepper dipped to prevent fly larvae

Comment

I've had it every time I've been over there. 4 trips. Its ok, but I prefer jerky. Biltong is really moist jerky, for lack of a better description. Only, I prefer the flavor of jerky and not a big fan of really chewy meat. Overall, not a fan, but can see how some would like it. I feel like if you are making Jerky, pull it out of the dehydrator when it is about half way done. That is what the consistency of biltong is.

Comment

Working...
                              X