Snow skiing questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snow skiing questions

I know there are a lot of you on here that go a lot and figure I can get some decent advice

Where are some laid back places to go ski/spend time with family?
    Prefer places without big crowds

Also what is the best times to go?
    As in when should there be a good amount of snow
    Not interested in going Christmas or Spring Break when everyone else wants to go but

We will be taking a family vacation, 2 adult children, wife and myself. Possibly 2 guests.

Purgatory might be an option as one of the kids knows someone with a condo that might be available

I am the only one who has ever skied and that was 30+ years ago, wife does not care about skiing so side attractions (snowmobile trips, etc) are a plus but not a requirement

Haven't been in lots of years but Feb. Used to be the least crowded time. Breckenridge has a lot of things for your wife and she can walk the entire town.

Comment

We went to Breckenridge last fall

Heard ski season is a circus there?

Comment

Copper Mountain is super cool. The lodging on the resort is nice and they have stores and restaurants right there. Giant dire pit right on the middle is a cool place to hang out.

Edwards Co. is a cool little town near Aspen. Tons of great shopping and fly fishing outfitters. Would be easy to book a side trip to fish some headwaters.

Take lessons

Comment

Wait until the college kids go back to school. Towards end of January or early February should be good.

Comment

Monarch,it's been a couple years but used to go during spring break and crowds were not bad at all.

Comment

The base at Breck is really high. The wife and I had some trouble with that.

We used to go right when the kids got out of school for Christmas break. Seemed to be good timing with not too many people yet, but there was always plenty of snow already.

The kids really liked winterpark. I have one that didn’t ski well, so we’d take her tubing and she loved that.

My in-laws went with us on that trip. Neither went skiing, but they really enjoyed taking a snowmobile tour.

Comment

Oh, and if you haven’t gone skiing previously, take a lesson. If you pick it up quickly, a half day lesson can get you going

Comment

Purgatory is not bad, took my family and had a great time.
                  Another place that is much harder to get to but not crowded at all is Targhee Ski Resort, really cool place.

Comment

February is the time to go. Monarch is a good mountain, but won’t have that “ski town” feel. If that is important look at Crested butte or steamboat

Comment

Key stone or winter park are both good places for beginners. And still have some good blue and black runs. After the first of the year I would say is better for good snow. ( most years) Don't go during any holidays and if possible mid week.

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
                        Key stone or winter park are both good places for beginners. And still have some good blue and black runs. After the first of the year I would say is better for good snow. ( most years) Don't go during any holidays and if possible mid week.
                        Keystone
                        Brock can get real busy but most all depend on when you go. We tend to go just after Christmas break when kids are back in school. Avoid spring break at all costs, but getting there a week or so before is a good time. At Keystone your tickets get you into 3 other mountains. Careful with the night skiing though, gotta be careful for the snow snakes!!!

Comment

The places most are mentioning are big resorts that are crowded with long lift lines. Purgatory was the first place I ever skied or snowboarded. I haven't been recently but it wasn't crowded. You don't get the ski town vibe though. Take a good look at Red River. Nice little chill ski town.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Our favorite is Angel Fire, NM.
                            Jan./Feb. is the time to go, usually plenty of snow.
                            Lines are short and the town is perfect.

Comment

We go to Red River, NM, usually the first or second week of January.

Comment

Working...
                              X