Houdini is done, or is he?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Houdini is done, or is he?

So my neighbor came over a week or so ago, he was telling me about his cows calving and a big beautiful coyote that was hanging around eating the afterbirth and generally making the cows nervous. Well our first ride in the ranger to to check things out, there stood Houdini at 60 yards looking at us. I told the neighbor to keep driving and circle back to the house so I could grab the 17. We got back and sure enough he was still there, but this time he disappeared into the wood line when we got within 200 yards of him. Several evening rides over the past week or so have resulted in 2 more sightings with Houdini vanishing in to the brush with no shot opportunities. Well today we notice a new calf and start that way, Houdini stands up about 30 yards behind the cow and hit mach 7 headed for the fence. I whistle at him twice and he keeps running, the neighbor barks at him and he throws on the breaks to see what it was. I drop the crosshairs on him at 80 yards, they lock solid right where his neck joins his body as he is facing me. I squeeze the trigger and he folds up like a cheap lawn chair. I mean it was instant, he just crumpled up. I chambered another round and watched thru the scope for about 10-20 seconds and decided he is down for the count. I close the door on the ranger and we high 5, talked about how he just folded up and what pose I was going to mount him in. We drive down to pick him up, and Houdini is gone. I am talking vanished in to thin air. We both saw him fold up!!! I looked for any trace of blood and as expected with a 17 I found nothing, I crossed the fence and searched about 75 yards of wood line........ nothing. I just can't help but wonder if that indeed was his final act.

Reminds me of the recent thread the guy killed a yote, put in the bed of the truck and a few minutes later it was alive in the back.

Comment

or he ducked/collapsed in fear, and while you fools were dancing in glee, he vanished.

Comment

Watch for buzzards over the next few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by awright View Post
          or he ducked/collapsed in fear, and while you fools were dancing in glee, he vanished.
          Oh crap, I woke up a troll!

Comment

Originally posted by cvanbrunt View Post

I’ve never seen buzzards get on a coyote
            I don’t think anything will eat them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by cvanbrunt View Post

Yep, we talked about that. I just hope he don't associate the ranger with danger anymore than he already does. If he is still alive.

Comment

Some people believe dogs go to heaven he probably was already pass the clouds before u got down there. Happy hunting

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                  I’ve never seen buzzards get on a coyote
                  I don’t think anything will eat them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  Dave Canterbury's trainees eat coyote. Lots of Asians eat dog. There's no difference. Hog will eat carrion, just like dogs do.

Comment

What cartridge ... 17 HMR or one of the 17 centerfire variants ?

If the HMR, doesn’t surprise me as there’s not enough ft/lbs of energy to kill ‘em stone dead

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond S View Post
                      Oh crap, I woke up a troll!
                      Should have used a pocket gun. Could have got him at 10 paces.

Comment

Nothing will eat him. Buzzards don’t eat coyotes or grackles

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                          What cartridge ... 17 HMR or one of the 17 centerfire variants ?

If the HMR, doesn’t surprise me as there’s not enough ft/lbs of energy to kill ‘em stone dead
                          I agree 100% with you on the shot placement I made with a 17 HMR. However, I have shot pigs out to 100 yards ( I know it is not the same ) in the ear and they were DRT. The way he folded up I kind of thought I broke his neck. Now I see that was not the case. I guess I should have went for a head shot, but when he stopped running and the crosshairs locked on his chest neck area I sent it down range. Live and learn I guess, I got caught up in the moment. It is a shame, I had already told the boss to make room for a full body mount if I killed him.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawhunter View Post
                            Should have used a pocket gun. Could have got him at 10 paces.
                            I saw that thread, read about 4 post and hit the back arrow. LOL

Comment

I bet he is laid up dead/dying somewhere

Comment

Working...
                              X