Confiscation starts..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confiscation starts..

Gotta watch out for them 56year olds with small 5-6 shot arms.
    Florida confiscated them under the rule in which a family member or law enforcement may petition a judge if they "think" they're a danger but haven't been committed.

Interesting that they dont state who made the petition, and on what grounds.

Let's continue to ignore the sweeping under the rug of a kid who had been in trouble multiple times and actually ended up killing people as a result of bad policy and horrible law enforcement ....

Read this the other day. Pathetic. People will be along shortly to say they support this because the guy was a bit cookoo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
      Read this the other day. Pathetic. People will be along shortly to say they support this because the guy was a bit cookoo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      You had no problem with a crazy kid being allowed to buy Guns?
      The article probanly said all it could say about his involuntary psych treatment because there are HIPA laws.
      Believe it or not, some of us deal with real psychotic people on nearly a daily basis. And there is currently nothing to prevent most of them from buying weapons and going on a killing spree

Comment

A Broward County judge on Friday issued the state’s first order temporarily removing guns from a person under Florida’s new gun-control laws. Four firearms and 267 rounds of ammunition …

This is a better article of the same event. Yeah, he needs those guns taken away
        " temporarily "

Comment

See those are the details that matter. Sounds like he probably did need his guns taken away if he's got a screw loose. First article didn't say anything about that really and I couldn't find much else. Thanks for sharing that article.

Comment

Infringement of second amendment rights. If the guy is mentally unstable and is believed to be a threat you don't take his guns away, you follow due process and have him admitted to a psych ward until he is under control and wont harm anyone. What's the thought process here? He gets out and goes home and now there aren't any guns to use on a shooting spree? No problem, did we take his butcher block full of knives away? What about his vehicle, did we take that too? Baseball bat in the closet?

Worse part about this is a liberal city government (I know right, never in America) via a police force gets to make a determination of mental health status with no degree or certification in mental health disciplines?

NOPE

Comment

How long before a liberal Sheriff or Mayor in FL decides to confiscate the guns from a political opponent and then uses the innuendo of mental instability to discredit them? Or just for general revenge.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
                How long before a liberal Sheriff or Mayor in FL decides to confiscate the guns from a political opponent and then uses the innuendo of mental instability to discredit them? Or just for general revenge.
                The law states the confiscation is temporary, not permanent.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                  The law states the confiscation is temporary, not permanent.
                  90 years is temporary, just saying.

Comment

Or wives, ex wives, or wives wanting a divorce say you are crazy? Just tape you drinking and joking with your buddies and Bam all your guns are gone. At that point she gets everything...Good luck proving you are not crazy and getting everything back.

Bottom line is IF someone is crazy and a threat they should be off the streets period. If allowed on the streets they hold the 2nd amendment rights.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                      Or wives, ex wives, or wives wanting a divorce say you are crazy? Just tape you drinking and joking with your buddies and Bam all your guns are gone. At that point she gets everything...Good luck proving you are not crazy and getting everything back.

Bottom line is IF someone is crazy and a threat they should be off the streets period. If allowed on the streets they hold the 2nd amendment rights.
                      This is what I was expecting the story to end up being. I'd be interested to know what the current laws for this type of situation are. I'd honestly be a little surprised if there wasn't something in place already to handle this besides just taking hia guns away and involuntary commitment.

Comment

I did not read both of the articles but apparently there are differences between the two. Maybe the government should get involved in any news outlet or source that prints or reports a false or misleading story. Might be a good idea for the government to start an agency that vets all news stories before they are printed or aired to verify the story is correct.

For those without a meter, yes I know what I just posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooverfb View Post
                          This is what I was expecting the story to end up being. I'd be interested to know what the current laws for this type of situation are. I'd honestly be a little surprised if there wasn't something in place already to handle this besides just taking hia guns away and involuntary commitment.
                          In Florida they have had the Baker act for several years. They have already been able to take guns from crazy people but ( as with the new law) required to give the guns back once the person is released from the hospital,mental facility etc.
                          I do not trust gov. at any level not to try and expand their authority but i also know that people are taken to the hospital against their will for psych. evals all the time. Typically because they are acting like the man in the article or threatening to kill themselves or others.
                          There is a NEED for laws like this one regardless what some think

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post

I hear what you're saying, but it brings up questions in my mind.... So, do we want to increase the government's ability to commit people to mental hospitals for life rather than simply take guns away from people with a history of mental illness? Can we not think of the same kinds of hypothetical scenarios about liberal judges, sheriffs, etc. abusing that power too? What if someone that hates you files a report about how you're mentally instable and all the liberals in control of the situation decide that your affection for guns means that you are mentally instable and potentially dangerous, and since they can't take your guns away they'll just send you away to a mental institution for the rest of your life instead? If you were the victim of such abuse, would you rather live out your remaining days in a medicated fog inside a mental institution or live in your home without guns? If we're going to discuss worst case scenario what-ifs and use those as our justifications about where we come down on these issues, shouldn't we look at all of them, rather than just one?

It sounds to me like this case in Florida is using due process. It sounds to me like the end result was very positive as well. I'm as pro-2nd Amendment as you can imagine. I have zero issue with insane people like this guy in Florida not being allowed to own, purchase, or possess firearms. We've been arguing all along that it isn't a gun control issue, it's a mental health issue. That's true. Mentally ill people should be in treatment and under supervision, especially when they are potentially violent. They shouldn't be allowed to have guns either. Ever - regardless of where they live. At the same time, there should be lots of checks and balances in the system to ensure that anyone who ends up on the mental illness "list" gets a fair opportunity to dispute it. And if anyone is later found to not be mentally ill, then their name should be cleared. And, yes, I can think of ways that system could still fail in isolated cases here and there. We can't come up with anything that won't have potential holes in it. I think we need to be looking for a system that has the least amount of holes in it, not the non-existent "perfect" one.

Comment

The problem that no one in this thread has mentioned is that our mental health care system is broken. Legitimately crazy people get sent to Rusk or any state facility and unless they lose their **** while there, they are released with more medication ( which may or may not affect them positively) in sometimes as short as a few days. What good does it do to take someone’s guns, send them to the looney bin, then give them back soon as they get out? Are they really better or just medicated?

There are a lot of people casting stones here about things they know little to nothing about, hence the reason I won’t provide an opinion on the OP.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Working...
                              X