DOJ sues Ferguson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOJ sues Ferguson

WASHINGTON — The Department of Justice filed a civil rights lawsuit against Ferguson, Mo., on Wednesday, less than a day after the city rejected an agreement to overhaul its beleaguered criminal justice system and address allegations of widespread abuses by its police department.

“Their decision leaves us no further choice,” Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch said at a news conference announcing the suit.

The federal and local authorities had spent months negotiating a settlement that would have prohibited police officers from making arrests without probable cause, installed a federal monitor and barred officers from using stun guns as punishment. But after city officials raised concerns about the cost of the settlement, the Ferguson City Council voted, 6 to 0, on Tuesday night to change the terms — knowing that the Department of Justice had promised to respond with a lawsuit.
    more --> http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/11/us...deal.html?_r=0

I'm not surprised with anything by this administration anymore. I read about this the other day, it just made me shake my head. I can't wait until November, and if Hilary or Bernie wins, I am really going to have to take a hard look at reevaluating where I live

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
      I'm not surprised with anything by this administration anymore. I read about this the other day, it just made me shake my head. I can't wait until November, and if Hilary or Bernie wins, I am really going to have to take a hard look at reevaluating where I live
      Really, where would you move to?

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
        Really, where would you move to?
        Retire to South America. Trade in house for a 40 foot Catalina.

Comment

Nevertheless, Mayor James Knowles III said, “It will cost more to implement the agreement than it will be to fight a lawsuit.” He added, “There’s no point in agreeing to something we can’t afford.”
          There in perfectly describes this current administration; spend spend spend...let the next generation worry about saving the sinking ship!

Ms. Lynch said that the federal government and the city had negotiated a final deal, and that the city had reneged at the last minute, threatening to delay the process even further.
          What I find interesting is, the council just elected TWO new members (winning 2 of the 3 seats up for election)whom are BLACK....yet the vote was 6-0 to reject the agreement!

So if these TWO BLACK newly elected council members, whom I am sure wanted changes to be made, voted AGAINST this agreement...what does that REALLY say about the DOJ's demands?

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
            Retire to South America. Trade in house for a 40 foot Catalina.
            man, that sounds like fun but when I have ran into confrontation I've always said;"i'm not leaving, YOU are".
            i'm still here.

Comment

not sure why not wait for Ferguson suggested changes if they simply cant afford it.

In business two parties negotiate a contract, both sides ceding something for the great terms both deem beneficial. You dont get a contract turned down, your feelings hurt and then sue. That being said, why cant this city simply change itself? thats what needs to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by mjbtexas View Post
                That being said, why cant this city simply change itself? thats what needs to happen.
                Because it's not possible without federal government intervention. Only the feds can solve problems.

Comment

not sure why not wait for Ferguson suggested changes if they simply cant afford it.

In business two parties negotiate a contract, both sides ceding something for the great terms both deem beneficial. You dont get a contract turned down, your feelings hurt and then sue. That being said, why cant this city simply change itself? thats what needs to happen.
                  because this admin's entire policy has been "my way of the highway"

Comment

So the AG will prosecute a city but not Hillary. Sounds about right for this administration.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                      So the AG will prosecute a city but not Hillary. Sounds about right for this administration.
                      Truth^^

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
                        because this admin's entire policy has been "my way of the highway"
                        I agree but why? What is driving it? The city here is both poor and represented racially by diverse and seeming smart folks...they agreed to 500 provisions and omitted 6. Doesn't sound unreasonable..

“We hope the D.O.J. is willing to sit down and talk to us and continue negotiations,” Councilman Wesley Bell said. “But if this case goes to court, it will not be because of the City of Ferguson.”

I don't see how more people aren't upset by this. Every race, every city should be upset. What about the Chicago shootings/policing issues? It's getting a pass for what reason? I wonder.

Comment

I agree but why? What is driving it? The city here is both poor and represented racially by diverse and seeming smart folks...they agreed to 500 provisions and omitted 6. Doesn't sound unreasonable..

“We hope the D.O.J. is willing to sit down and talk to us and continue negotiations,” Councilman Wesley Bell said. “But if this case goes to court, it will not be because of the City of Ferguson.”

I don't see how more people aren't upset by this. Every race, every city should be upset. What about the Chicago shootings/policing issues? It's getting a pass for what reason? I wonder.
                          maybe towards the bottom explains it. NYT wont allow copy and pate for some reason, but look towards the bottom at the part that says "dissolve the local LEO and let and outside agency for police duties."

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
                            maybe towards the bottom explains it. NYT wont allow copy and pate for some reason, but look towards the bottom at the part that says "dissolve the local LEO and let and outside agency for police duties."
                            I don't think that was a stipulation as much as an option. Simply b img that Ferguson would be required to abide by the agreement even if they "outsourced" law enforcement duties

Comment

The mayor is an Obama boot licker

Comment

Working...
                              X