Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Hunters Product protein feeder

Anybody use these ?
    I like the fact that they have an adjustable baffle.
    Do adjustable type protein feeders work well ??
    I use the THP spin feeder for corn and have been pleased.

Looking to get one of their 1200 or 2000 lb protein feeders.

Anybody have one the want to sell ??
    Attached Files

In my opinion the best feeder out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sippy View Post
      In my opinion the best feeder out there.
      Thanks.
      Does it empty all of the protein well without the protein hanging-up in the tubes ?
      Do the baffles work well so I can control consumption ?

Comment

Originally posted by TWOHunter View Post
        Thanks.
        Does it empty all of the protein well without the protein hanging-up in the tubes ?
        Do the baffles work well so I can control consumption ?
        I have never had a problem with clogging except if you dont clean out the spout after a big rain.

I had them all the way open so i cant say either way.

Comment

Are they coon proof?

Comment

Nothing designed for deer to eat free choice is coon proof.

The All Seasons feeder we have has baffles too that can be adjusted. I prefer the metal construction to plastic. Sitting in the sunlight will deteriorate any sort of plastic product over time.

If you are concerned with regulating the feed consumption the only way to do that is go with a Krivoman timed unit, or a Lamco timed\spinner unit. The baffles only slow what comes out of the tube. The critters can stay longer and eat as much as they want. These really do not regulate consumption at all in my opinion.

YMMV

T

Comment

Originally posted by timoub007 View Post

The All Seasons feeder we have has baffles too that can be adjusted. I prefer the metal construction to plastic. Sitting in the sunlight will deteriorate any sort of plastic product over time.

If you are concerned with regulating the feed consumption the only way to do that is go with a Krivoman timed unit, or a Lamco timed\spinner unit. The baffles only slow what comes out of the tube. The critters can stay longer and eat as much as they want. These really do not regulate consumption at all in my opinion.

YMMV

T
              I like the concept of the timed-protein feeders.

My concern about the Krivoman would be the small feeding area by having four feeder tube outlets so close together.....

Any feedback on pros and cons and goood and bad of the Lamco ?? I went to a place a few weeks ago that had corn spinning out of the Lamco tray feeder and it looked like it would be a good option for rationing protein. Any concerns about the protein sitting in those trays and getting wet and being a problem ??

Comment

Originally posted by timoub007 View Post
                I would beg to differ. My 55 gal with 4 way feed port were coon proof.

Comment

Timed protein feeders defeat the purpose of protein feeding.

Comment

Like Encinal said, timed protein feeders and protein feeders with baffles to slow consumption are useless. You want the deer to eat as much as they want...

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                      Timed protein feeders defeat the purpose of protein feeding.
                      It would seem there is an "optimal" amount of protein that would contribute to the deer being healthy and antler growth.

For example, would 30 pounds of feeding per day be "almost as good" as 50 pounds of feeding per day ?

I'm no protein-feeding expert, I will admit, but I'm just looking for a good solution that's not free-choice due to time and money concerns.

Comment

How sturdy are they? Would the 30mph winds we have had the last couple days knock them over if they were empty? I would worry about having to replace them in a few years.

Outback makes the most bomb proof feeder I have seen. We have had three for 10 years and never had a single problem

Comment

It would seem there is an "optimal" amount of protein that would contribute to the deer being healthy and antler growth.

For example, would 30 pounds of feeding per day be "almost as good" as 50 pounds of feeding per day ?

I'm no protein-feeding expert, I will admit, but I'm just looking for a good solution that's not free-choice due to time and money concerns.
                          Its all relative to what else the deer have to eat and how many deer you have.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffJ View Post
                            How sturdy are they? Would the 30mph winds we have had the last couple days knock them over if they were empty? I would worry about having to replace them in a few years.

Outback makes the most bomb proof feeder I have seen. We have had three for 10 years and never had a single problem
                            The Outback looks like a good solution for sure... Timer, large capacity, up to a 6-tube feeder option...

Comment

The Outback looks like a good solution for sure... Timer, large capacity, up to a 6-tube feeder option...

http://outbackfeeders.com/protein-feeders/
                              They are pricey but you get what you pay for.

Comment

Working...
                              X