Cotton Seed Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cotton Seed Question

Rookie question here. When you go to get it, do you go to a gin?

As well what do you ask for? Reason I ask this is I have heard it called regular cottonseed, cottonseed mill, cottonseed hulls and cottonseed mulch.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Most go to a gin. You want whole cottonseed.

Comment

Yes it will but at a gin. You want to ask for cottonseed and not the hulls. Call ahead and see if you have to load yourself or if they will help. Bring a shovel just in case.

Comment

[QUOTE=8pointer;10888190]Yes it will but at a gin. You want to ask for cottonseed and not the hulls. Call ahead and see if you have to load yourself or if they will help. Bring a shovel just in case.

That is a lot of seed

Comment

The guys above are spot on. Call ahead to work out everything first. This includes price, if they sell in super sacks or other containment, how it gets onto your truck or trailer, if they already have it weighed when you arrive to pick it up, etc, etc. I just put some out at our place for the first time and was very glad I had a few phone calls with the gin. They were great and helpful but I would have been in a pickle if I had not called. I bout it in super sacks that I did pay extra for but was worth the $10/ea. Once at the lease I loaded the feed pen I built, out of 2x4 wire, by using a 5 gallon bucket to scoop it out of the top of the super sacks. Doesn't take long to do it that way and is easily handled.

Comment

Originally posted by bullman63 View Post
            The guys above are spot on. Call ahead to work out everything first. This includes price, if they sell in super sacks or other containment, how it gets onto your truck or trailer, if they already have it weighed when you arrive to pick it up, etc, etc. I just put some out at our place for the first time and was very glad I had a few phone calls with the gin. They were great and helpful but I would have been in a pickle if I had not called. I bout it in super sacks that I did pay extra for but was worth the $10/ea. Once at the lease I loaded the feed pen I built, out of 2x4 wire, by using a 5 gallon bucket to scoop it out of the top of the super sacks. Doesn't take long to do it that way and is easily handled.
            What gin sacked it for you and do you remember how much$

Comment

What kind of feeder or how do you use it is what I'm wanting to find out?

Comment

Originally posted by tonyterry View Post
                What kind of feeder or how do you use it is what I'm wanting to find out?
                A lot of people make a circle out of v-mesh fencing and use t-posts. We will use the crates for water totes. There are a bunch of threads on here that talk about it.

Comment

Gonna have to try some cotton seed this year!

Comment

Originally posted by 8pointer View Post
                    A lot of people make a circle out of v-mesh fencing and use t-posts. We will use the crates for water totes. There are a bunch of threads on here that talk about it.
                    Had a friend lose a 200 inch deer with the v mesh. Got hung up. Since has gone to the galvanized wire. It will break enough for them to get free without pulling completely apart.

Comment

Cotton Seed Question

Originally posted by bullman63 View Post

I bought mine at the gin in Lockhart, cost was $0.20/pound.

I haven't been back to see if there has been any activity at any of the three stations that I set up. Looking forward to finding out. It's been warm so I suspect that our deer haven't moved around much as reports are similar to what everyone seems to be seeing. I also setup a protein feeder and loaded it with Double Down to see if the deer take to it like I've been hearing about. I have a camera on the protein so I'll know what is showing up to that. I'll be happy to post an update once I get back to the lease.
                      Last edited by bullman63; 12-25-2015, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X