Milo Grain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milo Grain?

Will deer eat milo grain? Not just planting a food plot but if you bought and distributed just the grain.

I used to mix it in with the corn in my feeders to attract birds and other small species. The turkey and quail loved it.

I would imagine the deer ate it, but they are some pretty darn small seeds.

Comment

I would guess youd have more birds picking it up than deer? Deer will eat the seed heads off of the plants.

Comment

They will eat the seed heads on the stalks once it matures and the tannins leach out....but I'm not sure how they would eat it scattered on the ground since its so small. I think it would have to be in piles for them to really be attracted to it.

Comment

The only reason I bring it up because I saw an add to milo grain, 350lbs for $50. And thought if the deer will eat it, that will save a lot of money.

Comment

YES! Deer will eat it. Milo will sprout if it sees a cloud in the sky or they forecast rain a week out. Obviously an exaggeration but it will mold and spout very easily. Corn is a little more stable with moisture. Birds can get corn just as easily. Deer can get their mouths in cactus and all the thorn brush to nibble leaves, they can easily pick up milo and have.

Comment

They'll eat it well... Hard to sling out of a feeder though... Ha'

Comment

I used it for the peas and beans to climb and one day I came out and every head was gone the deer wated till it was just rite and then gone. Cool

Comment

Milo

The farmer that works the land we hunt in Kansas said they like it better than the alfalfa and corn when it's on the in the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Polar Bear View Post
                    They'll eat it well... Hard to sling out of a feeder though... Ha'
                    Mix with pea gravel .

Comment

They will eat it... they prefer the lighter colored seed varieties over the red seed

Comment

I have fed thousands of pounds of red and white maize for years. I feed it out of a gravity style feeder. Sometimes I mix it with soybeans, corn or just feed it plain. The deer on the river love it. I buy it out of the field during harvest in bulk.

Rwc

Comment

Working...
                        X