Need motorcycle help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need motorcycle help

While I'm waiting on my membership to the Yamaha forum I figured it might be worth a shot here. 1994 Virago 1100 that I just bought dead. I cleaned out the fuel system, added a new battery and replaced a blown main fuse. It fired on the first try, ran for 2 seconds and stopped. Next try the starter button produces nothing. I can hear the relay under the seat click when I hit the start button. That should be what sends a power to make the solenoid close but I'm betting no action at the solenoid, which is a pain to remove so I have not tested that or the starter yet. Checked the frame ground and sidestand switch. Any other ideas?

Did you use a volt meter to test the start button, and then on down to the solenoid? Fuse go out again?

Comment

I check out all the "safety" switches and they were fine. Then tried to get to the start button but it is not very accessible. After messing with it some I turned the key on and pressed it, got a short spin on the starter. So, then I took the cover off of the starter clutch when I could manually engage the solenoid. Doing that I was able to start the bike and it ran about 10 seconds. Given how long the bike sat, I can't say that it died because of fuel or spark.
      I can get the starter to bump from the start button maybe once in 20 tries but it turns well when I manually engage the solenoid. Guessing the solenoid is bad?

Comment

My dad had one of these bikes and his had some safety switch where it couldn't be started with the kickstand either up or down, cant remember which one. I just remember him trying to sell it and it wouldn't start and after the guy left he figured that out. lol But it also does sound like a bad solenoid

Comment

A guy on a forum specific to this bike thinks it is the start switch. Seems like a common occurrence. I'm going to pull it tonight and see if I can get the bike to fire by bypassing the switch. Then I will definitely know if the solenoid is good.

Comment

Just an update for those interested. WD-40 sprayed in the start button housing seemed to do the trick. The bike starts every time now and I'm riding it some. Let it idle for a half hour tonight with some Seafoam in the tank while I worked on other projects. I could actually hear the improvement in the idle as the Seafoam worked. I'd like to avoid a complete carb teardown on this one since this bike is not easy to take apart. Can't really say how long I'll keep it til I ride it more. Nice looking bike. I have to get it registered and put some miles on this weekend.

Comment

No joke about the pain in the butt to take these apart. I had a '87 Honda Super Magna that I rebuilt in college. Quad carb that would come off easy as pie, getting them back on took ratchet straps, a small pry bar, and a good amount of lube.

I definitely miss tinkering on an old bike... Following this one and waiting for pics!

Comment

Originally posted by ZackM View Post
                No joke about the pain in the butt to take these apart. I had a '87 Honda Super Magna that I rebuilt in college. Quad carb that would come off easy as pie, getting them back on took ratchet straps, a small pry bar, and a good amount of lube.

I definitely miss tinkering on an old bike... Following this one and waiting for pics!
                man I thought I was the only ratchet strap guy out there!.....right after I got the carbs on, the water jacket "O" ring under the carbs started leaking!

Comment

I was lucky enough to not get the leak, but I swear that I searched through the entire internet and never found a better way to get those back on. You know the original design engineer was laughing himself to sleep every night with that genius design.

Comment

you know he is......but I'd like to kick him in the......well you know

Comment

Funny, the last bike I did was a 99 magna. Same deal with trying to get 4 carb boots to all slip on at one time. I used a rubber mallet. Still easier than messing with this virago. I have to pretty much completely drain the gas at the fuel pump every time I want to remove the tank. No petcock on these.

Comment

Here's the current project btw. Needs some buffing. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376528966.552645.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	24231873

Comment

Fun times! I always enjoyed polishing aluminum. Instant gratification.

Comment

Working...
                          X