I'm grounded!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm grounded!

Some of you may remember if you read my live thread, that I had a slip and fall a few weeks ago and was worried about my knee because it was pretty bad for a couple of weeks. I had X-rays and the swelling has went down and that is on the mend for the most part. After a few days and moreso as time went on and the knee became less noticeable, I really started to notice pain in my shoulder. It isn't that bad (about a 5/10 at worst) and I have full range of motion so figured it was just inflammation since I caught myself with my outstretched arm. I have been taking anti-inflammatories, ice, heat, and rest (sort of... I've still been bowhunting and shooting my bow). Well remember that I had shoulder surgery back in April (yes it's the same shoulder). I was back to 100% strength, 95% range of motion, and ZERO pain when I last saw him in August.

So now that it's been over a month since the fall and the shoulder is not getting better, I decided I had better go back and see my shoulder surgeon and maybe he will give me an injection to help with said inflammation. I really thought that would be the end of it. X-rays showed everything bone wise is fine and the biceps tendon repair that he did is still intact. HOWEVER, he did some strength testing and my left shoulder has very little resistance. He is pretty sure, based on mechanism and my failure of strength testing that I have torn my rotator cuff. I even asked him to retest and I would try harder next time but still same result. I didn't expect this answer AT ALL and the weakness was a complete surprise to me. I hadn't noticed it at all until he tested each one individually. So I go back for a repeat MRI tomorrow to see what the damage is.

I won't lie... I may have cried a little yesterday when he told me this...

In the meantime, I'm grounded from shooting my bow (by the hubby, not the doc). I took the don't ask, don't tell approach with my doctor but the hubby put his foot down. Guess it's crossbow for me this weekend and until I get MRI results/MD approval to start shooting again.
    Last edited by nursejenn; 11-05-2019, 11:26 AM.

Well dang! Get better asap!

Comment

best of luck sista, your medical issues are temporary don't go making them worse

Trust in Shane !!

Comment

Crossbow is still fun....and at least you get to hunt.

Healing up is most important...got them sammiches to make in the off season

Comment

you are doing what your husband asked? Holy ****....that may be a first

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
            Some of you may remember if you read my live thread, that I had a slip and fall a few weeks ago and was worried about my knee because it was pretty bad for a couple of weeks. I had X-rays and the swelling has went down and that is on the mend for the most part. After a few days and moreso as time went on and the knee became less noticeable, I really started to notice pain in my shoulder. It isn't that bad (about a 5/10 at worst) and I have full range of motion so figured it was just inflammation since I caught myself with my outstretched arm. I have been taking anti-inflammatories, ice, heat, and rest (sort of... I've still been bowhunting and shooting my bow). Well remember that I had shoulder surgery back in April (yes it's the same shoulder). I was back to 100% strength, 95% range of motion, and ZERO pain when I last saw him in August.

So now that it's been over a month since the fall and the shoulder is not getting better, I decided I had better go back and see my shoulder surgeon and maybe he will give me an injection to help with said inflammation. I really thought that would be the end of it. X-rays showed everything bone wise is fine and the biceps tendon repair that he did is still intact. HOWEVER, he did some strength testing and my left shoulder has very little resistance. He is pretty sure, based on mechanism and my failure of strength testing that I have torn my rotator cuff. I even asked him to retest and I would try harder next time but still same result. I didn't expect this answer AT ALL and the weakness was a complete surprise to me. I hadn't noticed it at all until he tested each one individually. So I go back for a repeat MRI tomorrow to see what the damage is.

I won't lie... I may have cried a little yesterday when he told me this...

In the meantime, I'm grounded from shooting my bow (by the hubby, not the doc). I took the don't ask, don't tell approach with my doctor but the hubby put his foot down. Guess it's crossbow for me this weekend and until I get MRI results/MD approval to start shooting again.
            I had this happen a few years ago. I went the non surgery route, but I had to cut my practice way back and cut the poundage back on my bow. I am just now starting to get back to normal.

Comment

Gosh, I sure am sorry to hear that Jenn. I hope you find relief soon.

Comment

No fun in the mean time. But, if you stick to the rehab and PT exercises and build some strength around it you will be fine.

Rotator and Labrum are very common injuries and unless it is extreme- as in shoulder constantly dangling out of socket you can rehab it and be good to go pretty quick.

Comment

Dangit I hate when that happens!! Sure sorry for you, but you should listen to Shane...

Sure hope the MRI does not reveal anything approaching the necessity for another surgical repair... You, of all people should know how to rehab that shoulder back into shape...
                  My bride is a surgical nurse and she too is THE WORST patient on the planet!! I'll be praying for Shane (well, and you too)

Meanwhile, enjoy that crossbow. It's fun too!! When my wife broke her wrist, she was confined to a crossbow... She loved it and actually got her biggest buck to date with it...

Hang in there and get well soon! Maybe Radar can send up some of his "elxir" to reduce the pain?!!

Comment

You need to take care of yourself Jenn. Is this gonna affect your sammich makin skills?

I'll send a little prayer up for ya girl.

Comment

I had both shoulders with RC tears. I cut my lbs back to 60lbs while I rehabbed them. I don't feel like a crossbow would ever give me the same thrill and excitement I get using my bow but it would be better than a rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by sjaaaz View Post
                        Miracles do happen...

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post

Hang in there and get well soon! Maybe Radar can send up some of his "elxir" to reduce the pain?!!
                        I don't think I need to fall down again

Originally posted by dbrock63 View Post
                        I had both shoulders with RC tears. I cut my lbs back to 60lbs while I rehabbed them. I don't feel like a crossbow would ever give me the same thrill and excitement I get using my bow but it would be better than a rifle.
                        Well since I am a girl and only have it at 54 anyway, there's not much room for me to drop it back any further. Rifle isn't an option on our bow only place either so I'm stuck with Xbow unless I want to miss hunting the rut.

Comment

Originally posted by sjaaaz View Post

LMAO!! Well played Shane..

Tell her to leave that crossbow at home too so she doesn't shoot your deer ..

Sorry Jenn. Hope its not too bad.

Comment

That is no good. Hopefully it’s not that bad. You sure your husband isn’t just wanting to hunt your stands?

Comment

That sucks having 2 shoulder issues back to back.

I just left from having an MRI of my left shoulder, let tell you the injection of the contrasting fluid into the shoulder joint was fun.....not!

Comment

Working...
                              X