Putting a Dog Down (having issues)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting a Dog Down (having issues)

So I always said that I would never be the guy that kept a dog around just for my own benefit if I knew she was going to die I would just get it done. Well, here I am.

A few weeks ago my baby girl, "G" had a large cancer growth in her lower jaw removed and its already back, and just as angry as ever. Radiation and removing her jaw is out of the question for both financial reasons and the fact that she's 15. She's still got a lot of energy and gets around fine, its just her dang face!

I've noticed that she's starting to get into some discomfort with her mouth and know the time is here. I have clean her face and the walls almost daily. I know what I should do but I am having a hard time "pulling the trigger".

I don't want her to be in pain, and know its just going to get worse. But I just feel that I'm cutting her short.
    Last edited by Chuy; 11-05-2019, 10:05 AM.

Honestly that is something your heart needs to decide. I know its tough to make that call. My dog cooper was put down last thursday after his 10 month fight against lymphoma. he finally got to the point where he wouldnt eat (went three days) and just had no strength or will to keep fighting. he was tired and it was his time. i take the same stance as you its all about quality of life for your dog. if you know in your heart hes in pain and theres no honest chance for a recovery or for good quality of life. its time. i know its tough and no one wants to lose a close friend like that. ill be praying for you.

Comment

It's not a decision anyone wants to make but it's our responsibility as pet owners. At least that way you are holding them as they go to sleep and not dying in pain alone while you are at work.

Gary

Comment

In the same situation, We have an 11 yr old GSP, About 2 yrs ago he started to loose muscle around the skull on his right side, basically looks like a skeleton with hide now on his right side. we started noticing him looking lost at times. Now he can't use his front left leg. It still works but he carries it as he can't seem to control it. He still wags his tail and seems happy but is having a harder time every day getting out of bed and walking. Doesn't seem to be in pain but soon he may not be able to function. I don't like watching dogs suffer but if he seems happy and not uncomfortable I have a hard time putting him down. It's a tuff decision to make for sure!

Comment

My boxer is 16 years old and dread the day. It'll be tough to make the decision and do not look forward to it at all. I just want to make sure I am not being selfish and making her suffer more than she has to.

Comment

You'll know when you know. I spent a lot of money trying to save my lab Abby from a blood disease including transfusions but one morning I woke up and I knew it was time.... Toughest decision I ever had to make in my life but she was 13 and lived a good long life. I made the decision for her and not myself, who selfishly wanted her to live forever.

Comment

Give the dog every possible chance you can. If you don’t, you’ll always have regret. We don’t make the choice to “put grandpa down” when he gets old and in bad shape. Why do we do it when it comes to dogs? Do all you can and keep her comfortable. Let things happen naturally.

Comment

It sucks all around, my 13 year old lab is going to the bathroom inside all the time, loosing a ton of weight. Her time is limited and it doesnt get easier putting them down.

Comment

There are some services that will come to your home and do it. We did this and it relieved our dogs stress of going to a vets office. He passed in our home with his family there.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas276 View Post
                    There are some services that will come to your home and do it. We did this and it relieved our dogs stress of going to a vets office. He passed in our home with his family there.
                    This. Check with your vet (mine does it), and if he/she isn't willing or able, you can call a mobile vet in your area.

Comment

I've been in both situations trying to judge the right time versus them suffering. They are stronger than you are and their will to live and also please their owners can make the decision more difficult. I agree with Smart. I think both of you will know when it is time.

My last one this last April was just as tough and he wasn't even my dog. He had a cancer that we had removed and came back. His body was fighting against him. We did all we could. Last ditch effort on a Friday and spent the weekend together on the couch and around the house. He was struggling bad but was just as stubborn as the cancer. Come Monday we knew it was time and made our peace. Still miss him...

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        You'll know when you know. I spent a lot of money trying to save my lab Abby from a blood disease including transfusions but one morning I woke up and I knew it was time.... Toughest decision I ever had to make in my life but she was 13 and lived a good long life. I made the decision for her and not myself, who selfishly wanted her to live forever.
                        Ditto on Jason's comments

I would have to help my lab get up. At one point she went in the yard in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to the porch. Then she didn't move the entire day. It was rough. But as her guardian and care taker, I had to treat her with respect

Comment

One of the hardest decisions to do for anyone IMO. We unfortunately deal with it here daily at the clinic and it never really gets any easier for us or the owners. The best advice I can give anyone is that it all comes down to quality of life. It's hard to do, but it usually means that the animal is no longer in pain or suffering and can go peacefully...

Comment

Make a list of 3-5 things that they "enjoy" doing.... maybe it's just simple as, excited when we feed them, Happy to play fetch, excited to see us come home etc...whatever it is.

When that "list" isnt so apparent anymore you'll know that their quality of life has gone downhill and that makes the decision, perhaps, a bit easier knowing you've benchmarked it.

Comment

Hard decision for us. We put our little guy down after 18 years several months ago. I think we could have done it a little sooner after reflecting on the last months of his life.
                              Either way it’s a hard decision.

Comment

Working...
                              X