Culling doesn’t work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smart View Post
    I culled a few parts and am resting my back.....
    Skimmed.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
      I know exactly why you pray for rain and I also know exactly why you feed them like you do.. Lack of rain and no feed and you may as well stay North of the border..

Boy I wish It was All That Easy My Friend. I Have Slowly Learned How Much Feed Is Over Rated. But, That's a Whole Different Story

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
        Slim
        Yes Sir. That would be My Bet Too

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
          Eye rings and that are a give away but that’s sure a strange jump. Was asking a serious question.
          The way I was able to figure it out was the half tail...the double throat patch was my first observation, but they arent few and far between where I hunt. I didnt even realize the deer had half of a tail in 2014, it wasn't until 2015 and I was trying to identify the buck and I watched a video from the previous year and saw the tail. No clue what happened in 2014 that gave him such a weird rack, and then such a symmetrical rack the next.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Pretty sure he was a 2 year old in 2014. I was hunting in a populated area of Grayson County and not sure what happened in 2014 to cause the lack of horns, or what happened in 2015 that gave him such a pretty rack. Might have been hit by a car...who knows? I just believe there are plenty of young deer from year to year that get shot for one reason or another, mostly junky racks, that could go on to be great bucks, but they never get the chance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
            Last edited by dope hunter; 10-20-2019, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
              A double throat Patch and a half a Tail. What's The Odds in Two Of Them?
              Geez...sorry I missed the tail.

So it is the same deer. I still gotta think there was something else going on other than genetics.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                Geez...sorry I missed the tail.

So it is the same deer. I still gotta think there was something else going on other than genetics.
                Probably injury at some point

Comment

You can say cull, kill, shoot , whack, stack, thwack, zip, smoke, run an arra through, let the air out of etc .....but if you say harvest, we cannot be seen in public together.....

sorry Shane...
                  Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  Skimmed.

**** I forgot to add skimmed to the above..

Comment

**** I forgot to add skimmed to the above..
                    That’s MY word! Use it proudly and wisely. It is NOT to be confused with “cull”.

Comment

That’s MY word! Use it proudly and wisely. It is NOT to be confused with “cull”.

or killed! Noted!

Comment

Lets combine them.. "SKULL"

Comment

Manage for mouths. Of those mouths you are removing, remove mature deer. In the meantime, do your best to maximize nutrition. Age and nutrition. Simple as that.

Cotulla Cowboys (nice one Smart!) will see a bunch six points running around and shoot all them and then the next year tell you how good their culling plan is because they aren't seeing six points. No crap you're not seeing them because they are dead but that doesn't mean that your herd won't continue to throw six pointers.
                          Last edited by Throwin Darts; 10-21-2019, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Let me ask you this...you hunt 1300 acres low-fence. You HAVE to kill a certain number of bucks. You have a 5 yr old 82” 7 point and a 5 year old 120” 10 point in front of you. Which one will you shoot? Why? Keep in mind your target age on “trophy” bucks is 8 years old.
                            What advantage will you get from killing that 7 point over shooting a doe?

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                              What advantage will you get from killing that 7 point over shooting a doe?
                              Because your management plan calls for X amount of bucks to be killed. You probably kill the doe too.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                                Because your management plan calls for X amount of bucks to be killed. You probably kill the doe too.
                                That is a reason, not an advantage.

Comment

Working...
                                X