Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In - ear hearing and decibel protection…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In - ear hearing and decibel protection…

Searched and saw a couple of old threads, was wondering what you all were using nowadays…Decibel Defense and AXIL seem to be relatively new products, Walker’s have been around, but still seem to have limited battery life issues / complaints. Others?

Just got a 300 Win Mag (not threaded yet) for my elk trip, definitely need something for protecting what’s left of my hearing.

Suggestions, hopefully from having actual experience with certain models?

Or just stick with the foam plugs on a string, or the flex wire headset type with plugs?

Thanks

Originally posted by 3rdShot View Post
    Walker’s have been around, but still seem to have limited battery life issues / complaints. Others?
    I bought two sets of noise canceling ear muffs last year.
    Walkers.....like you said batteries died on a regular basis if you forgot to turn them off

Impact Sport....were decent, they also have an Auto-Off function that seemed to work well to conserve battery life, not sure how they determine when to turn off, so I can't say they wouldn't turn off while you're wearing them and defeat the purpose, but I never had a problem.

Got both from academy for $30-$50

interested as well to see what all everyone suggests for In-Ear protection

Comment

If you're talking in-ear, I much prefer my Surefire Sonic Defender EP5s I use at home to the foam plugs I use offshore.

I usually double them up with Howard Leight Impact sport muffs with the microphone volume turned way up. While they do cut-off the mic at 82 dB, the Impact sports don't provide enough protection on their own for indoor shooting/magnum calibers/monster muzzle brakes, in my opinion.

Aggie: The auto-shutoff is after 4 hrs.

Comment

I just ordered some decibullz, and will be testing them this Wed. I liked that you can mold to fit the shape of your ear.

Comment

I use the razor slim e muffs and like them, but it gets too hot during dove season.

Was going to order the decibullz or axil earbuds but mixed reviews and $ led me too the sonic defender ep5 or whatever that allow sound through but block out noise. I wore them this weekend shooting skeet and no issues. Sound was a little muffled, but was still able to hear my surroundings fine and talk. Plenty of sound suppression during shooting.

Comment

I ordered these a few weeks ago. I'm mostly a bird hunter and have been wanting some noise canceling ear buds. I would have preferred the rechargeable version, but I went with these for the price. I will just pack extra batteries which isn't a huge deal to me.

So far I've used them once shooting my AR and pistol outdoors. They performed as advertised. We will see how they do come bird season. I will still use foam plugs and ear muffs shooting indoors. I also looked into Axil but read lots of negative reviews. For the price I thought I would give these a try.

Comment

in for suggestions as well Its probably time i order some before dove season to protect what i have left.

Comment

Been looking for several years but I could never decide on a pair

If budget isn’t an issue, I’ve heard great stuff about Pro Ears

Comment

I went ahead and just ordered a set of the pro ears elite. Figure they will be handy on the zero turn mowing the yard as well as bird hunting. Use my Airpods on the mower now and have it all the way up and can hardly hear it sometimes depending on the song... 1st world problems i guess..

Comment

I used a pair of walker silencers last dove season. Worked pretty good. My hearing is already poor. So, now anything is better. lol

Comment

I’ve got a pair of the walker muffs and they work alright, I’m just not a big fan of muffs in general.

I’ve used the sonic defenders and was generally pleased with their performance.

Out of all the different buds and muffs I’ve used these Otis ear shields are my favorite. I can still hear normal conversations and they muffle sounds when needed. They’re also more comfortable than typical buds I’ve used in the past and lighter than any other muffs out there.

Comment

I got some Tetras at the DUX expo, and they are awesome. I could shoot a target, and one of their reps would fallout a number behind me at the report. I could hear it clearly but they suppressed the shotgun report. Mine have 6 settings depending on use, range, duck, turkey (some calls get loud enough to harm hearing), upland etc. pretty dang sweet hearing protection.

Comment

Axil are very good for the money. I prefer them over "over the ear" protection.

Comment

I LOVE my Axil’s ghost. Well I should LOVED them… I lost a pair on a recent business trip. Was really looking forward to dove hunting in them and still being able to have a conversation

Comment

Axil now owns Sport Ear. I had mine (custom poured, tuned to my hearing loss, and ITE) serviced for the first time two years ago. Still very reasonable to get them serviced. Whole lot better than buying new ones!

Comment

Working...
                              X