Another zero turn thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another zero turn thread

Ok, nearly flipped my Cub Cadet LTX1050 for the last time this weekend. I’m mowing my acre plus my neighbor’s at times with some pretty steep slopes and need something with a wider stance and lower CG.
    So first question is, am I correct in thinking a ZT will help with the slopes?

Now down between a Cub and Hustler with similar specs.
    Hustler has a Kawasaki motor which I like vs Koehler in the Cub but all other specs, the Cub wins out and is less money.
    Hustler is from a real dealer and includes delivery but I am sure I’d have to trailer back to them 40 miles for service if needed so not a big factor. Hustler sales guy says he carries both although supply is extremely limited now and strongly prefers the hustler.

The legendary Raptor is now the Raptor X. The latest model has new wider and stronger, solid 1-piece frame design. It also touts BigBite™ drive tires and arm rests.

Thoughts on these? Don’t need the buy once, cry once, buy a Scag and all those comments. I’m looking for folks who have direct experience with these models please or suggestions on alternatives at the $3500 price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish I hadn’t taken my JD x320 to the deer lease after I bought my Gravely ZT earlier this year. I miss the JD tractor style mower for mowing my ditches, at least when it’s wet. I can’t keep the Gravely from sliding down to the bottom of the ditch when it’s damp. Love the fact that I can mow my place in 1/3 of the time, but wish I had both.

Comment

Zero turns don’t do well on slopes.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
        Zero turns don’t do well on slopes.

Why is that? The motor is lower in the frame, seat height is lower and rear tires wider. I would think it would be better than my lawn tractor. Certainly faster. I have no experience with them though.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
          Why is that? The motor is lower in the frame, seat height is lower and rear tires wider. I would think it would be better than my lawn tractor. Certainly faster. I have no experience with them though.

Mine weighs over 1200lbs. And if there is dew on the grass, it slides down pretty easy.

Comment

I have a Hustler Raptor 52” that is a 2013 model. Bought it used and first year mowing with it. It tends to have a high oil consumption. I noticed it blows a good puff of white smoke when I fire it up & throttle it up. Once mowing I don’t really notice it smoking much at all
            I researched the oil consumption topic and recall an article that mentioned it is not uncommon with the Kawasaki engine fr691v which is what mine is
            However, general consensus from a lot of people says the Kawasaki engine is a beast
            Other than that it mows great & I just keep adding oil
            I did stick it once in my ditch when it was a little too wet
            Majority of my place is relatively flat

Comment

JD Z930m 60"...no problem on inclines

Comment

No problem with my Zoro from Home Depo. I have the 50". Never a problem.

Comment

TexaRican I have sent you a P.M.
                  Sam J

Comment

Originally posted by PeePaw on Fork View Post
                    JD Z930m 60"...no problem on inclines
                    I think you missed the price point…

No experience with the cub, but I still own a Hustler raptor.
                    I have replaced every pulley and spindle on it and I only have 350 hours on it.
                    If you let the grass get somewhat high, be prepared to climb off and pull it out of the clogged up deck. I never realized how bad it was till I bought a better mower…
                    Hustler makes good mowers. I don’t consider the Raptor one of them…

The Raptor does hold a hill better than my Scag, but the Scag weighs about 500-600 lbs more.
                    It’s been so long since I have used the lawn tractor, I am not sure how it compares. I will try it this weekend and report back.

Would you be running parallel with the slopes?
                    Last edited by Rubi513; 08-18-2021, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Buy a scag [emoji51]. I kid if you don’t mind buying used I purchased a 48 inch Kubota with a welded deck and Kohler motor a few years ago for $3k. It is a great mower and I sold a 36 inch bobcat full commercial that sells for $7k now a days and could not be happier. They are definitely more stable than a garden mower but you have to know how to run them. You might be tackling some of the inclines in reverse just to keep the weight behind you..

Comment

I have the same cub cadet that is in your link. I have had no issues with mine, but will say that it does not do good on some of the steeper slopes we have. The rear end tends to slide quite a bit, so we use a regular lawn tractor for the slopes and ditches.

Comment

Originally posted by buckfever12 View Post
                          I have the same cub cadet that is in your link. I have had no issues with mine, but will say that it does not do good on some of the steeper slopes we have. The rear end tends to slide quite a bit, so we use a regular lawn tractor for the slopes and ditches.
                          Same here but I have the Hustler.

Comment

Originally posted by sboudreaux View Post
                            Buy a scag [emoji51]. I kid if you don’t mind buying used I purchased a 48 inch Kubota with a welded deck and Kohler motor a few years ago for $3k. It is a great mower and I sold a 36 inch bobcat full commercial that sells for $7k now a days and could not be happier. They are definitely more stable than a garden mower but you have to know how to run them. You might be tackling some of the inclines in reverse just to keep the weight behind you..
                            This is good point. You could buy a good used zero turn that would probably give you better reliability than a new cheaper model.

Comment

I have a Hustler Raptor X. I just bought it back in April so no long term review but so far I love it.I was not going to fork over the cash for a commercial grade mower but I was wary of mowers from the big box stores. The Hustler Raptor is a good compromise and is sturdier than most residential models. I wanted to buy from a dealer for the ease of service when needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X