Raccoons vs Buc-ees Feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I have one of the All Seasons stand and fill feeders that has a cage around the spinner plate and I recently bought two Buc-ee's stand and fill feeders that just have The Eliminator plates and bo cages. Based on my pictures, the raccoons don't seem to bother the All Seasons feeder but they are all night working on The Eliminator plates and I'm concerned they are emptying my feeders. I'm checking on them on Thursday and will top them off but I know for sure one of them is empty and I put 10 bags of corn in it 6 weeks ago. Is there anything I can do besides adding a varmint cage to to these to make sure the raccoons can't be successful and perhaps will even stop messing with him?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Eliminator spinner plates work when installed correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Smart posted what he did to stop them from reaching the spinner, basically put 2 pieces of metal or whatever you want at the hole to make it further away so they can’t reach it

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
        So I have one of the All Seasons stand and fill feeders that has a cage around the spinner plate and I recently bought two Buc-ee's stand and fill feeders that just have The Eliminator plates and bo cages. Based on my pictures, the raccoons don't seem to bother the All Seasons feeder but they are all night working on The Eliminator plates and I'm concerned they are emptying my feeders. I'm checking on them on Thursday and will top them off but I know for sure one of them is empty and I put 10 bags of corn in it 6 weeks ago. Is there anything I can do besides adding a varmint cage to to these to make sure the raccoons can't be successful and perhaps will even stop messing with him?

Its not coons, you need to check the timer
        The timers that come with the ez feeder from bucees will dump the whole hopper on you, it was a known issue.
        I have zero problems with coons and squirrels at the bucees stand and fill but they wear out the original stand and fill feeders with the cages

I replaced the timer with a “the timer” because mine went haywire and dumped about 400lbs in a week and now have zero issues , in fact I like the bucees feeder more than the original all seasons stand and fill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
          Smart posted what he did to stop them from reaching the spinner, basically put 2 pieces of metal or whatever you want at the hole to make it further away so they can’t reach it

That is for the Bucees ASF feeder with the plates. There is no cage or eliminators spinners on the ones I modified.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            That is for the Bucees ASF feeder with the plates. There is no cage or eliminators spinners on the ones I modified.
            Guess I should pay more attention lol. Typed this as I watched this stupid baseball game

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
              Its not coons, you need to check the timer
              The timers that come with the ez feeder from bucees will dump the whole hopper on you, it was a known issue.
              I have zero problems with coons and squirrels at the bucees stand and fill but they wear out the original stand and fill feeders with the cages

I replaced the timer with a “the timer” because mine went haywire and dumped about 400lbs in a week and now have zero issues , in fact I like the bucees feeder more than the original all seasons stand and fill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

First I have heard of that from the ASF timers but “The Timer” has been on here many times dumping the whole feeder. I had great luck with the Timer of old until one of the new ones dumped 350 lbs of corn on me. My Covert caught it all and the coons and pig enjoying the buffet picture by picture. Now I’m always on watch. My 3 ASF EZ feeders style timers have been great so far. Replaced the timer with a new Timer and have been good to go.

That all being said if he has a camera on his feeder, he’ll know if it’s a runaway. If no big pile I bet it’s the coons.

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                Guess I should pay more attention lol. Typed this as I watched this stupid baseball game

Lol no worries. Been there …

Comment

OP if the coons can get to the Eliminator, it has been my experience they will figure them out. If they can stand on the ground with a SNF, they’ll spend all night day after day jacking with it until they do. … heck they do it hanging upside down 5-6ft in the air… [emoji23]

Comment

They are definitely committed. When I put the 'smart' cages on my 55 gallon barrels they eventually gave up and left them alone. Even if they're not getting too much corn from The Eliminator plates, they will not give up. I hope to put some Duke Coon traps out Thursday evening to pick him up Friday morning. After that I'm on my way elk and mule deer hunting.

Comment

Lamco

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        OP if the coons can get to the Eliminator, it has been my experience they will figure them out. If they can stand on the ground with a SNF, they’ll spend all night day after day jacking with it until they do. … heck they do it hanging upside down 5-6ft in the air… [emoji23]
                        They have nothing better to do than mess with your stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
                          Lamco

Preach it!

Comment

Here was my solution. F those coons. I am going to erase their entire family line. They sucked 200 lbs of corn out in 2-3 weeks.

Comment

I mentioned it in my thread but the new round spin plates on the eliminator are trash by comparison to the old rectangle ones. Thinner material and inherently more flimsy due to their design being flat with no bends. But the round design did allow for the solution that I came up with. I have considered making a beefier spin plate for it. It is just 2 screws that hold it on.

My camera is on a 30 minute delay between pics. Before the mod, every single picture at night would have 2+ coons standing up with hands on the spin plate. Now I get pics of the ones that remain eating corn around feeder, but never messing with the timer/plate.

The problem with the eliminator design is once they get it to move down, corn gets between the bottom funnel thingy and the plate, and does not allow the plate to return to the locked out position. So once they "pick the lock" once, they are good for the rest of the night until it spins again.

Also if they would have 4 chain lock out arms, instead of 2, their design would be leaps and bounds better. How much more could that cost to manufacture? We are paying $40 for a spin plate that we have to make further modifications to make fully functional.

Comment

Working...
                              X