Composting red oak acorns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Composting red oak acorns

They don't have much use for anything else but this. Animals don't eat em until there is nothing else for them to eat. They are pretty much useless for everything except to roll under your feet and cause you to bust yo butt. I'm about half way thru the crop on this one 15 year old tree. Approx 90 gallons of acorns run thru my chipper along with some green leaves and limbs to help speed up the composting. Makes very rich additive to your compost pile and breaks down rapidly once you grind them up good. I'll end up with about 1 cubic yard of acorn meal before i'm done. It also smells wonderful. Sort of like baking nanner bread.
    Attached Files

Red acorns used to be a main food staple for Americans. Do some research and you will be surprised at what all you can make with them when processed correctly.

Comment

Those are the acorns the deer here in North Texas eat. I actually rake them up and feed them like hand corn. Our deer will eat them before they eat corn.

Comment

If I take acorns from my neighborhood (and there is a ton of them right now), and scatter them where I hunt in the NF, is that the same as baiting? You can't throw corn on public, but this is a natural item found in the NF. I would just be centralizing it for the deer.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Blitz View Post
          If I take acorns from my neighborhood (and there is a ton of them right now), and scatter them where I hunt in the NF, is that the same as baiting? You can't throw corn on public, but this is a natural item found in the NF. I would just be centralizing it for the deer.

Thoughts?
          It may be tough to prove, but I am pretty sure it is considered baiting. From the TPWD website:

Bait
          Something that intentionally or unintentionally lures any wildlife resource. Includes, but not limited, to salt, grain, minerals, or other feed, directly or indirectly placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, or scattered. Does not include scent attractants for animals. It is unlawful to use game fish or any part thereof as bait.

There is no mention of whether or not the feed is also naturally occuring in the area. If you place it, it is bait.

Comment

Funny, but I have gathered these up and poured them out at my feeders on two different leases and nothing ever ate them, not even hogs

Comment

Hogs at my place love big red oak acorns. I also have white oaks that produce a thumb nail sized acorn and everything eats those the second they hit the ground. I plant those around anywhere I can. They are beautiful trees.

Comment

Working...
              X