No announcement yet.

Chickens - What do you feed them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Armenian yard long cucumbers are great to grow specifically for them.....lots of food and bang for buck, watermelons are great as well (for eaters for the last 2 weeks before consumption for broilers) and everything else from your kitchen thats spoiled.

Comment

I would send my kids to catch perch and they ate them. Throw them scraps when breaking down deer. They eat anything. I never bought chicken feed and always did keep some broken up oyster shells from the coast in the yard for them. Any and all scraps. Left overs - anything.

Comment

Ours pretty much free range. We give them some scratch and they eat everything the horse drops no matter which end it comes out of. When I am boning out a deer they get the bones with meat scraps and clean them up quick. They eat anything, little buzzards

Comment

Squash, zucchini, tomatoes, grapes, apples, watermelon, pumpkins, strawberries.
          In summertime, any of the above chilled really gets eaten.
          Springtime, pick up droves of June bugs and dump them in the morning and it's a fiasco.
          I also mix black-oil sunflowers seeds in with scratch and they're really good for them.
          Last edited by Guardian Reaper; 10-17-2021, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Take a bucket with a lid. Drill several 3/8 holes all over the bucket. Hang the bucket just above the ground and fill with your raw meat scraps. Maggots come and crawl out the holes and the chickens love it.
            Also look into souring your scratch/grains for them. Lots of positives doing so.

Comment

Spent brewers grain, go talk with a small local brewery and see if you can get some.

Comment

Not a whole lot they won’t eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have a few sit at my feet last year when I was grinding meat. I would toss a few scraps to them from time to time. Just like a dog

Comment

Working...
                  X