Locust Tree Beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Locust Tree Beans

I’m just throwing this out their in case your not familiar with it, the deer are absolutely hammering the Locust beans right now in NE Tx/SE Oklahoma. They’ve been falling the last week and the deer have been piling in to vacuum them up. If you find a tree’s with beans you need to be hunting it now.

I spent ten hours in September fighting them with a chainsaw. The pods make it easier to identify which ones will be dropped.
    Even wearing chain saw chaps I got poked.
    I don’t care if The deer hammer them or not, not worth the rampant spreading, the thorns, and the flat tires. Thorns are way worse than any mesquite around.

Comment

LOL, the thorns suck but we left our big mature trees for the beans and took out anything smaller than 12”s in the river bottom. The beans are like candy to a deer so it’s a small price to pay as far as I’m concerned, having said that your braver than me going after them with a chainsaw

Comment

If there were a magic spray to instant you get rid of them I would even if those pods were gold, lol
        I hate those things. I had heard the stories of how much the spread but didn’t listen. I started grubbing them up and piling them. The next yr they multiplied 10x with little ones sprouting everywhere. I’m just going to try a prescribed burn soon to hopefully wipe them out. Between those and poison oak I’m really starting to loose my taste for north eastern Texas.

Comment

You are talking about honey locust, right? I’ve never seen deer much interested in black locust.

Comment

Basal spray triclopyr if you want to get rid of them.

I have a bunch of them in a duck hole. Want to keep the cover but hate the thorns. Had the idea of skinning the trees of all the low thorns. Dam things are back worse, a year later.

Comment

Originally posted by McClain View Post
              You are talking about honey locust, right? I’ve never seen deer much interested in black locust.
              Its gotta be Honey Locust.

Comment

Man, honey locust suck. I grew up in West Texas and will take mesquite trees all day over those. Devil's spawn. You can grub, burn, spray and blow them up and one day you'll see a small clump growing again. Just plain evil.

Comment

We found 1… just 1 on some public land out of state. I honestly believe my entire camp could have limited out on doe under it. They would not leave that tree no matter how much blood was spilled. Lol. Kinda smelled like laffy taffy too me

Comment

Ya, nope I try very hard to kill all them SOBs.

Comment

I have a big honey locust tree on our place in Red River County. I have shot several bucks eating the beans. I have pictures of a big 11 point I killed back in the 80s lying dead on the ground with locust beans hanging out of his mouth.

Comment

Yes thr Honey Locust, most of ours have little to no thorns but we took out most of the black locust and any tree with lots of thorns. We just pulled the cards this morning and even the old mature deer are hammering them but the pigs don’t seem to touch them which is a good thing. I know most people hate any Locust tree but if you have any with beans this year and your not hunting them your missing out on a great early season opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                          If there were a magic spray to instant you get rid of them I would even if those pods were gold, lol
                          I hate those things. I had heard the stories of how much the spread but didn’t listen. I started grubbing them up and piling them. The next yr they multiplied 10x with little ones sprouting everywhere. I’m just going to try a prescribed burn soon to hopefully wipe them out. Between those and poison oak I’m really starting to loose my taste for north eastern Texas.
                          Tordon

Comment

I have some on my property by Ray Robert's and haven't ever seen a deer eating the beans.

I found the only way to kill them is to pull them out of the ground.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

A biologist told me that Honey Locusts have lateral root lines, different than Mesquite which makes them harder to control. When I had my place near Purdon, I had plenty, lol. Funny thing is, once you go West, you don't seem to find them. Guess is they require more water than Mesquite.

Comment

Working...
                              X